Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 08:50 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Was your wife born in Asia? I have to imagine that makes a huge difference in music taste
Born there and grew up in Hollywood, CA. Im half Arab/half white and grew up in Torrance, CA for reference.

I pretty much listen to extreme metal exclusively. Black metal is preferred, but I love death and doom metal too. I can get into aggressive forms of electronic music (think Psyclon Nine or Ministry), but not house or EDM.

That said, I cant think of how it relates to my ethnicity. I know other people from my ethnic group that like it, but they listen to everything. My wifes family listens to top 40 music mostly, even the ones that still live over there.

There are also giant metal scenes all over the world. Taiwan has one of the best extreme metal music scenes of any country. Singapore, Mexico, and Japan also have great metal scenes. Ask any extreme metal band which countries they love playing the most and Mexico and Colombia are almost always at the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 08:55 AM

636 posts, read 611,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Seems like everyone in DC listens to the same boring modern EDM/electropop.
Black folks in DC (at least those from there) would be more likely to be into gogo...

Old 08-14-2018, 09:03 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I pretty much listen to extreme metal exclusively. Black metal is preferred, but I love death and doom metal too. I can get into aggressive forms of electronic music (think Psyclon Nine or Ministry), but not house or EDM.
What do you think of Author & Punisher?

Old 08-14-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
What do you think of Author & Punisher?

I like him. If Im going to listen industrial or electronic music, thats the direction Im going.

Being a death metal drummer, I prefer music with drummer in them but I put that requirement aside for electronic music.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:31 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Born there and grew up in Hollywood, CA. Im half Arab/half white and grew up in Torrance, CA for reference.

That said, I cant think of how it relates to my ethnicity. I know other people from my ethnic group that like it, but they listen to everything. My wifes family listens to top 40 music mostly, even the ones that still live over there.

There are also giant metal scenes all over the world. Taiwan has one of the best extreme metal music scenes of any country. Singapore, Mexico, and Japan also have great metal scenes. Ask any extreme metal band which countries they love playing the most and Mexico and Colombia are almost always at the top.
Well, I think the music tastes of ethnicities do differ on average. For instance, most black people I know personally don't really listen to anything besides hip hop and R&B.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:58 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times
In Birmingham.

Hip Hop is pretty much popular throughout various ethnicities; Black Americans, White Americans, Mexicans, etc. Which is also pretty much representative of the entire United States, Hip Hop/Urban music is probably the most popular Genre in the US right now. And Unknowingly to outsiders, the preferred Music taste to White Americans in Birmingham, is actually Indie Rock, and NOT Country, as stereotypes would say. I would also add Trap EDM to that too, those type of shows usually turn out big here. OH, outside of Hip Hop, Banda is huge within the Mexican community here.

Out in DC, I found Afrobeats and Go Go to be popular within the Black community outside of Hip Hop.

When I used to live in NYC, everything I knew was either Hip Hop, Reggaeton, or Dancehall...nothing else. That's Hispanics, West Indians and Black Americans. Same for Miami.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Well, I think the music tastes of ethnicities do differ on average. For instance, most black people I know personally don't really listen to anything besides hip hop and R&B.
I agree you can draw some inferences but there are so many factors that go into it.

If you find an African American in the south, there is a good chance they will like Hip Hop and/or R&B. However it’s just too much of a generalization these days. I’ve played in death metal bands with Indians, Mexicans, and African Americans over the years. A persons upbringing is going to have more to do with what they like than their ethnicity.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
In Birmingham.

Hip Hop is pretty much popular throughout various ethnicities; Black Americans, White Americans, Mexicans, etc. Which is also pretty much representative of the entire United States, Hip Hop/Urban music is probably the most popular Genre in the US right now. And Unknowingly to outsiders, the preferred Music taste to White Americans in Birmingham, is actually Indie Rock, and NOT Country, as stereotypes would say. I would also add Trap EDM to that too, those type of shows usually turn out big here. OH, outside of Hip Hop, Banda is huge within the Mexican community here.

Out in DC, I found Afrobeats and Go Go to be popular within the Black community outside of Hip Hop.

When I used to live in NYC, everything I knew was either Hip Hop, Reggaeton, or Dancehall...nothing else. That's Hispanics, West Indians and Black Americans. Same for Miami.
I actually wouldn't have guessed country to be that popular in Birmingham since it's a city.

I live outside of NYC and I don't think dancehall is that popular among Hispanics, besides maybe those classic songs that everyone knows.

And I do know a lot of Hispanics around here who like various forms of rock music. And pop and reggaeton are popular among them as well.

There are also a lot of clubs in NYC that play mostly house and techno music, however I don't know how popular these genres are around here for casual listening.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I agree you can draw some inferences but there are so many factors that go into it.

If you find an African American in the south, there is a good chance they will like Hip Hop and/or R&B. However it’s just too much of a generalization these days. I’ve played in death metal bands with Indians, Mexicans, and African Americans over the years. A persons upbringing is going to have more to do with what they like than their ethnicity.
I've known some African Americans who like rock, but in my experience here in New York it's usually just hip hop, R&B, and maybe Jamaican music.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There's a whole 2005 documentary which is focused on the love of LA Latinos for the Smiths. This was a mid-2000s movement though, so it's probably dead now.

I knew a lot of Mexicans who were into metal when I was younger as well. Indeed, it seems like Mexicans/Central Americans and Puerto Ricans/Dominicans tend to like very, very different styles of Anglo music in general.
It's not dead, Anthony Bourdain (RIP) did an episode on LA last year where he focused solely on Mexicans and Mexican Americans. He did a segment where he covered the Chicano love for The Smiths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.