Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 01:08 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,611 times

Advertisements

The Duluth Aerial Lift Bridge (which has been mentioned already) in Duluth.

It functionally connects Park Point with mainland Duluth while allowing large shipping ships in and out.

I would say there is no icon more indicative of Duluth than this bridge. I would hypothesize most people in the Midwest (or maybe even the whole US) could identify the city by a picture of the bridge alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 02:32 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post

It functionally connects Park Point with mainland Duluth while allowing large shipping ships in and out.

I would say there is no icon more indicative of Duluth than this bridge. I would hypothesize most people in the Midwest (or maybe even the whole US) could identify the city by a picture of the bridge alone.

I'm well aware of the Duluth bridge but I think you're a wee bit optimistic in Duluth's national status. I would wager the majority of Americans have never heard of Duluth let alone know it's location or bridge.

It is a cool bridge though!

Old 08-16-2018, 09:59 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
There are two on the road that I live on.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:27 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
There are two on the road that I live on.
Sounds trying. Do they open often?

Old 08-17-2018, 03:41 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Portland, Oregon has 3 lift bridges:

Hawthorne

Burnside

Steel
Don't forget the Interstate Bridge, which carries I-5 over the Columbia River between Oregon and Washington.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:52 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Chicago has 52 drawbridges, of which 43 of them are still operating today.

20 of the operating bridges are lined up one after another in a two mile stretch downtown along Wacker Drive. It's fairly entertaining to watch them open and close all lined up with the sailboats parading through a few times a week.
Blues Brothers movie (1980, filmed in 1979) has a great scene with their old beat up
ex-police car jumping ovef one of Chicago’s drawbridges. One of the best scenes.
The movie was set in Chicago and actually shot on location in Chicago

Old 08-19-2018, 04:56 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I'm well aware of the Duluth bridge but I think you're a wee bit optimistic in Duluth's national status. I would wager the majority of Americans have never heard of Duluth let alone know it's location or bridge.

It is a cool bridge though!
I've heard of Duluth, but as predicted, I have never heard of the bridge and would never know that the bridge belongs to Duluth if I saw a picture. But I just looked at it, and now I know! Neat bridge!

ETA: Born, grew up, and have always lived on the East Coast.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:56 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post

I've heard of Duluth, and in fact I even drove through it once on I-35. I'd never heard of the Aerial Lift Bridge before now and don't recall seeing it when I drove through. Not sure how I missed it, because it's a cool looking bridge and I would have thought I would have remembered something like that.

What struck me about Duluth was that I-35 was built below-grade through the city, and thus wouldn't block off the city from the lakefront. I thought that this was a good engineering practice that should be more widely used in other cities.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:21 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've heard of Duluth, and in fact I even drove through it once on I-35. I'd never heard of the Aerial Lift Bridge before now and don't recall seeing it when I drove through. Not sure how I missed it, because it's a cool looking bridge and I would have thought I would have remembered something like that.

What struck me about Duluth was that I-35 was built below-grade through the city, and thus wouldn't block off the city from the lakefront. I thought that this was a good engineering practice that should be more widely used in other cities.
I suppose I over-estimated people's knowledge of the bridge. I originally thought it was synonymous with the city, but I stand corrected.

This effort for the I-35 tunnel was definitely concerted by opponents of the construction plan originally intended to cut through the city as interstate normally do.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...1593-mile-i-35

I think it was very clever the way it was done. The "lid" created a bunch of green space that I frequent during my lunches. Good observation!

Old 08-20-2018, 06:06 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
There are two lift bridges between Philadelphia and New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.