Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 01:11 PM

5 posts, read 7,726 times

Advertisements

I am 24 years old living in Ohio wanting to move. Preferably someone no more west then Texas but am open to anywhere. I have a vacation in the beginning of next year and want to visit some places to get a feel. Does not necessarily have to be a bigger city but would like to be close to one if not in one.
Have most experience in dairies and restarting business. Just need a list of fun areas for people my age to start looking into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 01:43 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
I would suggest cross-referencing "fun" with affordable and where finding a job that pays a decent wage all work in tandem. If looking to utilize your dairy experience, places with a foodie culture mixed with a younger population into farming could be worth exploring. Areas near cities like Austin, Nashville, Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill NC and Atlanta would be my suggestions.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:45 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,679,368 times
Literally everything kyle said above plus I'd add Greensboro/Winston-Salem to the list. A lot of Charlotte, NC's satellite cities are big on agriculture as well.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:19 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Literally everything kyle said above plus I'd add Greensboro/Winston-Salem to the list. A lot of Charlotte, NC's satellite cities are big on agriculture as well.
I totally agree regarding Greensboro-Winston Salem, which in my opinion are probably the most overlooked cities on this forum in terms of bang for the buck.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:04 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,392,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgerber1010 View Post
I am 24 years old living in Ohio wanting to move. Preferably someone no more west then Texas but am open to anywhere. I have a vacation in the beginning of next year and want to visit some places to get a feel. Does not necessarily have to be a bigger city but would like to be close to one if not in one.
Have most experience in dairies and restarting business. Just need a list of fun areas for people my age to start looking into.
What is your budget for housing?

Old 10-17-2018, 10:32 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,802,096 times
There are some dairies near Cookeville / Sparta TN. 1.5 hours to Nashville, 2.5 hrs to mountains. Probably dairies all over TN. Look on some job sites to find the jobs, then consider the location.

North Georgia, the mountains of Virginia would be worth a look too. Western VA does not have real big cities but it has college towns. Could also look at NW South Carolina.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:10 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Something to possibly consider in regards to your dairy work experience, is that many universities with an agricultural research aspect have farms on/next to campus. This is the case with schools such as Michigan State and Cornell, but also many other major fill in the blank “State” universities. In fact, I know that the 2 universities mentioned have Dairy Bars, which sells products made on the farm to the public and in its dining facilities. So, that could be another thing to think about within your research in terms of employment.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-18-2018 at 05:29 AM..

Old 10-18-2018, 07:17 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Quote:
You have 3 pretty good options in Ohio already. I take it you live in a small town (people from cities in Ohio never say they're from "Ohio").

Old 10-18-2018, 11:52 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,495,895 times
Quote:
I am 20 years old living in New Jersey and wanting to move after I finish college. I am not open to the East and I'd prefer to move somewhere west of Texas too. I also don't want to live in a city either, but being somewhat close to one (even if it's a little far) matters to me. I visited Washington state in the West and I loved it! I hate California. I need to visit the Pacific Northwest again and I would like to visit the Southwest again. I visited Arizona when I was middle school, so I wouldn't remember a thing.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:39 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
Go where the work is and where you can afford to live. Then you will actually be able to afford to have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.