Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 10:22 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I consider Sabbath to be the first true Heavy Metal band, with Black Sabbath being the first true Heavy Metal album

I think of Zep and Mountain as being more proto-metal
Well, it’s a controversy and I think the definition of Heavy Metal has changed over the years as the Blues influence decreased and the music got more, what, Germanic? A lot of bands I saw in the late 60s were playing very heavy music including the Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Who, Iron Butterfly, Zeppelin, Vanilla Fudge, Mountain and, of course, Blue Cheer. And later on Rush, Alice Cooper, Nugent, UFO and AC-DC were very metallic, or considered so at the time. I’m talking about live acts here, not records.

I missed seeing Cream but their records had some very heavy stuff.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 08-23-2018 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 11:15 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Well, it’s a controversy and I think the definition of Heavy Metal has changed over the years as the Blues influence decreased and the music got more, what, Germanic? A lot of bands I saw in the late 60s were playing very heavy music including the Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Who, Iron Butterfly, Zeppelin, Vanilla Fudge, Mountain and, of course, Blue Cheer. And later on Rush, Alice Cooper, Nugent, UFO and AC-DC were very metallic, or considered so at the time. I’m talking about live acts here, not records.

I missed seeing Cream but their records had some very heavy stuff.
A lot of metal is very bluesy, Black Sabbath included. Black Sabbath started true metal IMO because they of the darkness and excessice heaviness they brought.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:23 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Avenged Sevenfold? Mallcore is not metal.
Its a genre of metal, wiseguy.

And I was making a point that many Hispanics love metal. At least he wasn't wearing a Selena shirt!

Old 08-23-2018, 11:29 AM

724 posts, read 502,861 times
To bring things back on topic , was anyone here a metalhead who lived in the 1980s Rust Belt ? If so then was the scene itself mainly made up of white teenage males from blue collar backgrounds ?

Old 08-23-2018, 01:01 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
In this part of the country when I go or play metal shows, its mainly Mexicans and other Hispanics moreso than whites but thats also the demographic of the area.

Also, how does one define Heavy Metal? Its changed so much over the years. Im more of a death metal/black metal guys. What most would consider Heavy Metal is like elevator music to me!

Old 08-23-2018, 01:16 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
The first time I saw the Ramones, in 1977, I thought they were like a Metal band playing at 78 RPM. Tommy’s simple but spot on and relentless drumming provided powerdrive and Johnny had a huge guitar sound, quite akin to Leslie West’s. Not his playing of course, but the sound.

Makes me wonder how many other Metal fans and players dug the Ramones. I sure did. Were they the unheralded founders of Speed Metal?

Old 08-23-2018, 03:14 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
In this part of the country when I go or play metal shows, its mainly Mexicans and other Hispanics moreso than whites but thats also the demographic of the area.

Also, how does one define Heavy Metal? Its changed so much over the years. Im more of a death metal/black metal guys. What most would consider Heavy Metal is like elevator music to me!
Heavy metal encompasses all forms of metal. Many consider Black Sabbath to be the first true metal band

Old 08-23-2018, 06:39 PM

5,469 posts, read 3,913,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
The two anomalies I notice are the California Thrash Metal scene and the Tampa Bay Death Metal scene. It makes one question why those areas experienced such a rise.
Didn't know anything about the latter scene you mentioned. I now see that Buffalo's best-known metal band, Cannibal Corpse, has relocated to Tampa....

Old 08-23-2018, 09:32 PM

724 posts, read 559,641 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEubrZV04b0

I just found out that Mastodon was from Atlanta. Who would've ever thought that, given what the typical stereotypes of the ATL music scene are.

Let's also post some music as well. My playlist needs some updating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-MSfd2S7lo

This is my straight up jam whenever I'm driving. The vocalist (John Garcia) and drummer (Alfredo Hernandez) are of Hispanic origin. I almost expect most metal bands out West to be more Hispanic than White

Old 08-23-2018, 09:39 PM

481 posts, read 422,380 times
Most I meet my age here listen to electronic, country, rock, and/or hip-hop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.