Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 08:55 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times

Advertisements

I'm an east coast, southern native. Nothing about humidity do I like....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 08:56 AM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have lived most of my life on the east coast, and now live in northeast Texas which still has a similar weather pattern to the other Gulf Coast states (high humidity).

While we do catch some summer days with humidity in the low 30s or even the 20s, and I do love the way the air feels, I hate the way my hair and skin and nails and lips dry out in lower humidity. So while I can appreciate all different levels of humidity in different regions, for day to day life I prefer it to be more rather than less humid.

Of course, some areas are extremely humid. I'm originally from New Orleans and OH MY GOSH, it's just incredibly humid there. Same with much of South Carolina (used to live there too) - whew, it can get oppressive. But I am happy with about 65 percent humidity. Get much below that and after a day or two my skin gets all dry and my lips get chapped and my contacts start bothering me.

Actually humidity dries out hair. It makes the hair look dead and frizzy. My mother is from California and she did not need to get her hair done professionally while she was living over there. There was low humidity and that kept her hair smoother.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:32 AM

822 posts, read 856,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
The East Coast technically is not dry in the winter. It is still humid in our winters, which is why our winters feel so oppressive compared to winters in the deserts of the West. However, it is nice and dry when you are indoors, because I guess it's not warm enough to allow humidity to rise and travel through the indoors. The furnace can kind of be uncomfortable I understand. The A/C is comfy and has a nice smell. I never heard about blood in spit though from dry air. If you have a medical issue, you are better off living somewhere humid year-round, but it will be hard to get used to humidity until you lived somewhere humid for many many years.
it depends on where you are on the East Coast. In New England, much of out Winter air comes from Canada and is extremely dry. That same Canadian air also swoops down in the Summer to break the humidity. New England does get humid, but it doesn't last long.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:53 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
I thought more humidity means more flowers can grow.

I think humid cities have tendencies to sprawl more is because there is obviously more water available. Deserts are less habitable and less sprawlable, which is probably why most of the state of Nevada is uninhabited outside of Las Vegas and Carson City areas.
Not that kind of flower. Cities in the desert sprawl. Read this: https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...l-worst-cities

Old 08-24-2018, 09:54 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I thought I hated humidity until I moved to a very dry area. Now I thoroughly appreciate it.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-24-2018 at 10:05 AM..

Old 08-24-2018, 09:55 AM

1,002 posts, read 916,467 times
Lived in Florida most of my life. I find most of the year I prefer it dry. I can deal with heat or cold, but find myself not doing as much outside when it's extremely hot or humid. Living somewhere with lower humidity tends to result in me being a much more active, outdoorsy person.

Vermont's humidity is pretty moderate overall. I prefer the dry days.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:01 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There are so many delicate flowers seemingly that can't handle humidity, yet the fastest growing cities in the US are in areas where high humidity exists for much of the year. Ponder that...
Growth in the southeast didn't take off until the invention of air conditioning. Ponder that...

Born in humidity, moved to dry, moved back to humidity and hated it. I will never again live in an area where the summertime dew points are above 55 degrees.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:11 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There are so many delicate flowers seemingly that can't handle humidity, yet the fastest growing cities in the US are in areas where high humidity exists for much of the year. Ponder that...
Willis Haviland Carrier, an American hero(imo), helped make a lot of those places more livable. So, part of the reason for their growth is omnipresent AC.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Actually humidity dries out hair. It makes the hair look dead and frizzy. My mother is from California and she did not need to get her hair done professionally while she was living over there. There was low humidity and that kept her hair smoother.
OK - great for her but that hasn't been my experience at all.

I don't get my hair "done" professionally, though I do get it cut professionally. I style it at home and the only time it feels dry and "flyaway" is when I go somewhere with low humidity.

Maybe having been born into and grown up in, and lived in higher humidity areas my whole life, that's what my body and hair are used to. It works well for me. YMMV.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:56 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
That is........definitely not normal. You either have severe respiratory issues or acute gingivitis! You should definitely see a doctor about that.
This past winter, my first winter with my first, newly built house, was the first time I had issues with the furnace. Living in apartments before, or even my mom's 2004 built house, I never had an issue from winter heating causing shortness of breath or specks of blood.

I found articles like these below that said tiny red specks of blood are "normal".

I adjusted the thermostat to only run hotter at night, and not constantly warm all the time and that helped (as well as long showers to humidify the air). I could use a humidifier too, but haven't tried yet, scared it will get moldy.

https://www.multicare.org/news/winte...-bloody-noses/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.