Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 05:36 PM

20,861 posts, read 9,524,822 times

Advertisements

BTW ...
Quote:
-February to May is my pollen season in Florida (and I suppose most of the south)-- where Oak trees make life nearly unlivable unless it rains for days on end until the pollen has stopped (mid May usually, though the season seems to be getting longer..and hotter). It's like having a flu that never ends, really.
Even in parts of Oregon and Washington there are oak trees - the Oregon white oak in particular. They're really common around Portland and the Willamette Valley in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 03:17 AM

22 posts, read 38,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Anywhere east of the Great Plains is going to be humid and have oak trees. Sounds like the only place that will fit your criteria is in the NW quarter of the country.
Actually, I don't think there's a state on the lower 48 states that doesn't have oak trees unfortunately. Perhaps there are less of them in the PNW. I wish I could just be surrounded by Maple trees and cherry blossoms. lol.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:41 AM

20,861 posts, read 9,524,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanntis View Post
Actually, I don't think there's a state on the lower 48 states that doesn't have oak trees unfortunately. Perhaps there are less of them in the PNW. I wish I could just be surrounded by Maple trees and cherry blossoms. lol.
There are no native oaks in the inland northwest (except for a really small area in the foothills west of Yakima) and much of the northern Rockies. If you chose Spokane, for example, you wouldn't have to worry about oaks, except for whatever street trees were planted.

Old 09-01-2018, 04:30 PM

34 posts, read 32,900 times
West coast is probably your best bet. Weather is fair with low humidity inland and good for nursing.
I hear Sacramento would be best career wise price:income and although summer days are hot the temps always cools down at night.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bove125 View Post
West coast is probably your best bet. Weather is fair with low humidity inland and good for nursing.
I hear Sacramento would be best career wise price:income and although summer days are hot the temps always cools down at night.
But it's so far from SF, and doesn't snow!

The pictures I look up seems like there's some Autumn to it, though.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:10 PM

8,492 posts, read 8,777,706 times
What about Eagle or Meridian outside Boise ID? Carson City NV, Spearfish SD, outside Santa Fe NM or Bend OR?

Old 09-03-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
What about Eagle or Meridian outside Boise ID? Carson City NV, Spearfish SD, outside Santa Fe NM or Bend OR?
These are all pretty. The issue with these are the distance away from metro areas/civilization. Orlando is about 3.5 million with all the surrounding region. I'd like to stay around that maybe a little less. Definitely not under 2 million with surrounding regions though. I frequent venues with Broadway productions, orchestras, traveling companies etc.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:52 PM

Not under 2 million metro and preferably close to 3.5 m is a pretty big criteria not in the first post to guide suggestions but good that it is out there now.

All the metros I mentioned (or nearby) are officially metros and metros to me but not near civilization to you? ok... we have different tastes. I wouldn't touch anything bigger than Boise anymore.

They all have some cultural arts (local and some traveling shows), more than you might expect from size alone, especially Boise. If Boise isn't enough to even consider, then Portland or Denver or somewhere in California, probably San Diego.

Only 20 0f 383 metros with population between 2-4 million. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...C_Feb_2013.gif How many would you even consider? Any beyond the 3 I mentioned?

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-03-2018 at 02:17 PM..

Old 09-03-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Not under 2 million metro and preferably close to 3.5 m is a pretty big criteria not in the first post to guide suggestions but good that it is out there now.

All the metros I mentioned (or nearby) are officially metros and metros to me but not near civilization to you? ok... we have different tastes. I wouldn't touch anything bigger than Boise anymore.

They all have some cultural arts (local and some traveling shows), more than you might expect from size alone, especially Boise. If Boise isn't enough to even consider, then Portland or Denver or somewhere in California, probably San Diego.

Only 20 0f 383 metros with population between 2-4 million. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...C_Feb_2013.gif How many would you even consider? Any beyond the 3 I mentioned?
I tried to update the original post, but I think it's too late to edit it. Orlando is about 2.5 m not 3.5, sorry about that. But yes, somewhere with at least 2 m range I guess. Not IN it, but within 30 mins - 1 hour from the central area, if you will. There's no high end cap, really. 20 million would be fine too, as long as I am within close enough driving distance to the "action" but can stay out of it as needed, and wouldn't have to stay overnight in it because it's too far from home etc. Arm's length.

I have a friend from Boise, she loves it but said it is probably a bit conservative for me geographically located and politically speaking as a whole, and yes it's a bit small. Just different tastes , completely ok for us to like different things! Portland, Denver, and California keep coming up. I've only lived in Los Angeles. I think the lack of seasons takes San Diego out. I continue to look at Portland, and also Denver but worry about the elevations of Colorado. Partner is asthmatic, and I don't consider myself an athlete, so fighting for less oxygen doesn't sound awesome, though I hear you adjust to it. Having spent most of my life at sea level in Florida though, it might be rough. Thanks for the post!

Last edited by Lanntis; 09-03-2018 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 09-03-2018, 04:40 PM

We generally don't focus on "humidity" in northwest winter rain season but you might want to think how much that will bug you.

Tualatin or Beaverton might be decent choices for a Portland suburb.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-03-2018 at 05:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.