Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2018, 03:58 PM

17 posts, read 22,752 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the possibly long post. Hello, my name is Timm. I am posting this here because I seem to be at a loss for where to move to. Here is my situation. My wife and I just got married this July. We have a 5 year old daughter, and another baby on the way. We currently live in Maryland, and are saving up money to move. I work as a custodian, and my wife is an at home aid for the elderly. We are looking for a place to move out of state, but there seems to be so many options. We want country living, with at least 2 acres of property. I want to ((homestead (chickens, goats, vegetable garden)), and my wife just wants no neighbors next door. We were looking at Georgia, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and the Virginia's. We make a little over $50,000 a year combined. So our local bank said that could get us a loan for around $180,000. After hearing that I knew Maryland is not a place we could stay in. To give you guys/gals an idea, for what we want (listed above) that's about $350,000-$500,000 here where we live. And we definitely can not afford that. So after racking my brain I decided to ask for your opinions.

Thank you for your consideration and time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 07:30 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,457,930 times
Johnson City/Kingsport, TN (VA) area and Roanoke, VA area I'd highly recommend. Both really nice, affordable, and have some pretty rural areas. Good luck!

Old 09-01-2018, 07:34 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,345,757 times
I have also heard you can get really cheap small farms in Iowa. Just start checking out real estate listings all over the place. Then, look at job opportunities there. Ask questions in the forums for those cities and states.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:55 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,750,460 times
There must be a lot of places in PA that would fit and be close to where you are from. You didn't mention where in MD, but maybe try Somerset county PA to start.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:04 PM

13,337 posts, read 39,794,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG View Post
Sorry for the possibly long post. Hello, my name is Timm. I am posting this here because I seem to be at a loss for where to move to. Here is my situation. My wife and I just got married this July. We have a 5 year old daughter, and another baby on the way. We currently live in Maryland, and are saving up money to move. I work as a custodian, and my wife is an at home aid for the elderly. We are looking for a place to move out of state, but there seems to be so many options. We want country living, with at least 2 acres of property. I want to ((homestead (chickens, goats, vegetable garden)), and my wife just wants no neighbors next door. We were looking at Georgia, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and the Virginia's. We make a little over $50,000 a year combined. So our local bank said that could get us a loan for around $180,000. After hearing that I knew Maryland is not a place we could stay in. To give you guys/gals an idea, for what we want (listed above) that's about $350,000-$500,000 here where we live. And we definitely can not afford that. So after racking my brain I decided to ask for your opinions.

Thank you for your consideration and time.
Check out Cookeville, Tennessee.
  • Very low taxes.
  • Low cost of living.
  • Lots of land with thousands of people in your situation with small farms.
  • One of the fastest-growing areas in the state with over 3,000 new jobs in the last couple of years.
  • Very family friendly with excellent schools, children's museum, children's library, bike trails, lots of parks.
  • An hour east of Nashville.
  • Beautiful area with 100 waterfalls and 1200 miles of lakeshore with 40 miles of town.
Here are examples of homes that match your criteria that have sold recently in the Cookeville area:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...?fullpage=true
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-01-2018, 09:12 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,274,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I have also heard you can get really cheap small farms in Iowa. Just start checking out real estate listings all over the place. Then, look at job opportunities there. Ask questions in the forums for those cities and states.
Don't even think about this unless you, or a close relative have some previous exposure to real-life farming; few pursuits will destroy unrealistic expectations, or diminish your savings faster than a "hobby farm".

Otherwise, I'm in agreement with the idea of investigating places further south and there are some inexpensive areas in upstate Pennsylvania once you go north and west of Interstates 78 and 81. You can forget Lancaster, York, Harrisburg, the Lehigh Valley (Allentown/Bethlehem) and the Poconos.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 09-01-2018 at 09:39 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 06:36 AM

26,978 posts, read 43,513,776 times
Some of the responses seem to have derailed themselves into farming versus homesteading. My take away is that the OP wants to provide more for themselves versus as an income source. Some chickens for eggs, a couple of goats for milk/cheese and growing vegetables is hardly an economic hardship. That said taking into consideration cost of real estate, ability to find suitable employment options nearby and a longer growing season for vegetables would point toward an area like central Georgia in the semi-circle east, west and south of Atlanta. It's a fertile area for farming, has mild winters, offers affordable living with lower taxes and is fairly prosperous in terms of jobs/the economy, versus some of the prior suggestions where finding suitable jobs could be an issue. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...523_rect/9_zm/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.