Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 06:19 PM

511 posts, read 391,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Some people prefer living in dense areas with lots of amenities in walking distance.

And let's be real here, some people are much better off not driving.
As someone who was born in Seoul, Korea and spent most of my childhood there, I would say most American cities are still pretty much car-dependent, even big cities like Chicago. The only walkable city to me is NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 06:41 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,095,609 times
Largely cultural when compared to the vast majority of other countries. Once we hit a resource crunch (aka oil), Americans will be in for a rude awakening.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:53 PM

23,935 posts, read 10,282,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Some people prefer living in dense areas with lots of amenities in walking distance.

And let's be real here, some people are much better off not driving.
I posted "I" not the rest of humanity.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:57 PM

23,935 posts, read 10,282,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
City living is not for cat people.
Be my guest and deliver on a bicycle - considering the size and nature of our rescue cats we go through two 40 pound pails per week. No, I need a bit of green, a pepper plant, some herbs, humming birds. Yes, we had it in DC on the 15th floor but checking the place out - 5k for one bead room big enough for a queen bed, the other one for a child, one bathroom with a tub shower unit - washer/dryer that is the difference.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:50 PM

3,551 posts, read 3,017,291 times
Why are so many Americans anti-cities?

Fear.

My experience is that people who never lived there, or who were part of "white flight" a generation or two ago, have an overbearing fear of the city itself, its residents, and especially its residents who don't match their own appearance and culture.

I have met and known people who have been afraid to enter the city limits, even if there is little physical difference on one side from the other. I went to a suburban private school where fellow students weren't allowed to come into the city by their parents. Just in the last couple of years I had a very close in-law, visiting my city for the first time, convinced that he was witnessing "drug deals" on every corner, or that he was going to be "jumped" on the metro (even though we shared a car with suburban high school age girls). I had a co-worker that insisted NYC was still the city of "Taxi Driver" and "Warriors" despite evidence to the contrary. I have had people afraid to visit my home, although the neighborhood is wealthier than the suburb they came from. I spoke with someone from my attorney's office who couldn't understand why I was living in a neighborhood that was "getting dark." I stayed in a cabin in a rural county (owned by a minister) who lectured me said he hated cities, and that the problem was that there there needed to be more guns in the city for the "good" people to protect themselves, and that he felt it necessary to always be armed when he came to town.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:02 PM

34,822 posts, read 30,876,901 times
To me, the best place to be, by far, are suburbs of mid-sized metropolitan areas. All of the conveniences I need with safety and close to job markets. Too rural can also be very high crime. Small metros can be nice to live in, but the job markets suck. Many inner cities suck.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:05 AM

406 posts, read 482,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Why are so many Americans anti-cities?

Fear.

My experience is that people who never lived there, or who were part of "white flight" a generation or two ago, have an overbearing fear of the city itself, its residents, and especially its residents who don't match their own appearance and culture.

I have met and known people who have been afraid to enter the city limits, even if there is little physical difference on one side from the other. I went to a suburban private school where fellow students weren't allowed to come into the city by their parents. Just in the last couple of years I had a very close in-law, visiting my city for the first time, convinced that he was witnessing "drug deals" on every corner, or that he was going to be "jumped" on the metro (even though we shared a car with suburban high school age girls). I had a co-worker that insisted NYC was still the city of "Taxi Driver" and "Warriors" despite evidence to the contrary. I have had people afraid to visit my home, although the neighborhood is wealthier than the suburb they came from. I spoke with someone from my attorney's office who couldn't understand why I was living in a neighborhood that was "getting dark." I stayed in a cabin in a rural county (owned by a minister) who lectured me said he hated cities, and that the problem was that there there needed to be more guns in the city for the "good" people to protect themselves, and that he felt it necessary to always be armed when he came to town.
I wish I could like this post 1000 times. Yes, fear is absolutely right.

Unfortunately fear blinds so many Americans today. It’s astonishing. America’s cities will fare better without the fearful though. The innovators are concentrating back into cities today and the wealth is following. Exciting times ahead for us city dwellers.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:12 AM

4,541 posts, read 2,752,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Why would I want to live in a concrete/brick box, force myself into a bus/subway, drag groceries and 40 pound cat litter boxes on the bus, have no personal outside space?
Lol, most of the world stops by the grocery store everyday and picks up only what is needed for that day.

40 pound cat litter? MURICA.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:28 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,315,574 times
I've been a "city guy" and if I move I'll likely be moving to a city due to convenience and possible lack of a car but I can understand the beef. Look what actually goes on in these cities. If it's not one thing it's another. You can move to a more suburban part of city limits and be alright but you gotta do research.
BTW it's not just white folks who have a problem with them.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:03 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,894,660 times
I think it’s interesting how many people are willing to dance around the answer, but unwilling to come out and say it. Racism. The answer is racism. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.