Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 703 times

Advertisements

Dear Sirs,
I am an Eastern-European who is willing to come to USA legally. Now I am exploring a lot of web-site (like wallethub and similar) to get info about States that are promising/perspective or upcoming with reasonable COL. I am not satisfied with my research, because all of these articles are based on some questionable or doubtful background.
What your perspective about Arizona? do you think it's developing economically? I want to know your subject point of view. maybe you would suggest me another one.

I will be very grateful.

Oleks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 02:27 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,392,560 times
Do you have any high demand skills that a employer could use?How are you going to get sponsored or obtain a visa or citizenship?I love Arizona.Most of the good jobs there are in the Phoenix Metro.Its hot as heck there during the summer for many months on end.I dont know how the economy is specifically in Arizona.I think Texas may be your best bet as far as states with a booming economy and reasonable cost of living.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:04 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,822,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss14spqr View Post
Dear Sirs,
I am an Eastern-European who is willing to come to USA legally. Now I am exploring a lot of web-site (like wallethub and similar) to get info about States that are promising/perspective or upcoming with reasonable COL. I am not satisfied with my research, because all of these articles are based on some questionable or doubtful background.
What your perspective about Arizona? do you think it's developing economically? I want to know your subject point of view. maybe you would suggest me another one.

I will be very grateful.

Oleks
Arizona is heavily skewed in it's affordability in the cities vs. rural areas. BUT, to be fair, that applies to all of the states. When looking at COL it's important you are using metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) and not entire states for this variable. This will focus on the city and it's suburbs. Arizona is bigger than a lot of European countries so it's not like COL is standard across the board. COL may be more balanced in our really small states (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland) but not our giant ones out west that's for sure.

I'm not sure if you have ever visited the States, but Arizona is pretty hot so it's worth mentioning that. There isn't a single place in Europe that gets nearly as hot as Arizona does, especially in the city where Arizona's economy is actually decent (Phoenix). If you have visited the Middle East like Dubai or inland Australia like Alice Springs in the summertime and thought that level of heat was acceptable to you, then I could recommend it. Arizona actually has had an issue with mostly Europeans who come visit in the summer and still hike the mountains, and will die from heat stroke on the mountains because they aren't factoring in water intake and the aridity of the desert. The heat here can be deadly and if you don't want the high heat, don't bother looking here.

Other states I'd look into are the South, like Georgia, Texas, Florida, North and South Carolinas, Virginia, Tennessee.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:06 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,394,489 times
What defines reasonable cost of living for yourself? Do you need to have regular employment in the local area or are you working online? if online, do you have speed and stability requirements?

There is a huge difference in rules, regulations, taxes, cost of living and quality of life among the different states within the US. We would need more information from you to help reduce the choices.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:09 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
Forget about moving to the US unless you figure out a way to get an immigrant visa first.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:15 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,183,676 times
I'm not a sir so I suppose I can't answer. I don't know anything about Arizona anyway.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM

16,093 posts, read 10,762,339 times
Arizona covers a large area. The major cities are developed and seem to be growing economically. Be advised that this is a hot desert climate with temperatures at or above 40 degrees C a large part of the year unless you are in a smaller mountain town where the elevation tends to cool the climate somewhat. Some people handle hot weather better than others. The cost of air conditioning in homes or apartments will be a cost of living factor. Much depends on your job skills matching the available work opportunities.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:10 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,822,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Arizona covers a large area. The major cities are developed and seem to be growing economically. Be advised that this is a hot desert climate with temperatures at or above 40 degrees C a large part of the year unless you are in a smaller mountain town where the elevation tends to cool the climate somewhat. Some people handle hot weather better than others. The cost of air conditioning in homes or apartments will be a cost of living factor. Much depends on your job skills matching the available work opportunities.
Very true, I forgot to mention this. I live in a 1200 square feet apartment and my electric bill in the summertime is approximately $200/month. Not uncommon for single family homes to get up to 400+/month for electric alone. Depends on who your electric company is, how much electricity you use, your house's orientation to the sun (west and south orientation will make you more vulnerable to higher temperatures), if your house is detached (exposing more of your house to the outdoor heat), etc.

My parents, life-long Arizonans, moved to Florida last year and were baffled at how much cheaper it was for electric there. Arizonans are experiencing highway robbery for electricity. That and internet, we have an effective Cox monopoly for internet here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.