Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 10:20 PM

9 posts, read 7,372 times

Advertisements

I live in Southern New Hampshire and have lived in Greater Boston my entire life. I hate the cold and snow am exploring options for moving to a warmer climate. And I'm not older and about to retire. I'm 25 years old. I work for a painting contractor so I hopefully will be able to find a job wherever I go. I've visited all of these places multiple times and explored them very extensively, so I already have a feel for what they're like and would be comfortable living there. With that said I'm most interested in comparing the cost of living in these places, but any kind of information is appreciated. I drive a gas guzzler (that I love) so I'm not looking for anyplace with California-like gas prices. I'd be looking to live in a studio apartment. And I definitely need to live near professional sports (major or minor league, as long as I can attend games, I'm fine). Here are the options I'm considering in order:

Las Vegas, NV
I love the climate and the desert mountains. And no shortage of entertainment options.

Phoenix, AZ
Same reasons as Vegas. I just love the desert urban areas in the southwest. I'm a D-Backs fan so I guess that's a plus for Phoenix.

Tampa/St. Petersburg FL area

Coconut Grove area of Miami, FL

Homestead, FL
A bit farther than I'd like from professional sports, but still on the list.

Brownsville, Harlingen, South Padre Island, TX
If cost of living was the only factor it would be a done deal, but lack of entertainment options are a giant drawback for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 08:40 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,678,902 times
Coconut Grove is expensive.

I'd go with Vegas. No state income tax and low humidity. Tons of sunshine and even when it gets chilly it's still bearable.

Tampa could be the second best choice if you're ok with humidity and hurricane risk. I lived in Sarasota just south of Tampa and loved it.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:45 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Homestead isn't expensive or far from professional sports with the Miami Dolphins, Miami Marlins or Miami Heat stadiums/arena just 40-50 minutes away.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:13 AM

18 posts, read 15,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Homestead isn't expensive or far from professional sports with the Miami Dolphins, Miami Marlins or Miami Heat stadiums/arena just 40-50 minutes away.
Agree that Coconut Grove may be too expensive. Homestead is definitely cheaper and drivable to Miami entertainment options. You could also split the difference and look at the Kendall/West Kendall area which is closer to central Miami and in between your listed options as far as cost of living goes. You will definitely encounter painful traffic if you need to commute during rush hour from either area. On the plus side, the whole south side of Miami-Dade county continues boom as far as new construction goes which would be good for your painting contracting business.

Assuming you sub-contract out any of your work, you will need to be functional in Spanish if you want to work anywhere in the Miami area. Tampa area would be easier from a language standpoint if you don't speak Spanish and also cheaper and only a few more cold snaps to deal with each year.

From your original post, it sounds like you may prefer desert climates in which case Las Vegas or Phoenix would be better options for you and probably more affordable overall than the Miami area. Good luck and enjoy your journey to warmer climes!

Old 09-10-2018, 11:17 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSK Fan View Post
I live in Southern New Hampshire and have lived in Greater Boston my entire life. I hate the cold and snow am exploring options for moving to a warmer climate. And I'm not older and about to retire. I'm 25 years old. I work for a painting contractor so I hopefully will be able to find a job wherever I go. I've visited all of these places multiple times and explored them very extensively, so I already have a feel for what they're like and would be comfortable living there. With that said I'm most interested in comparing the cost of living in these places, but any kind of information is appreciated. I drive a gas guzzler (that I love) so I'm not looking for anyplace with California-like gas prices. I'd be looking to live in a studio apartment. And I definitely need to live near professional sports (major or minor league, as long as I can attend games, I'm fine). Here are the options I'm considering in order:

Las Vegas, NV
I love the climate and the desert mountains. And no shortage of entertainment options.

Phoenix, AZ
Same reasons as Vegas. I just love the desert urban areas in the southwest. I'm a D-Backs fan so I guess that's a plus for Phoenix.
Everybody in the Phoenix section says you really should visit Phoenix in the summer before you actually move there, lots of people do so and don't realize what they're getting into, if you haven't already done so.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:44 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,495,103 times
I am from NJ, 20, and I'd have to agree with you, but I don't mind a little cold. Shoveling anything about 2 inches of snow sucks! I don't mind 2 inches of snow to shovel. Tbh, I'd avoid Florida and the East, because I don't like humidity. Humidity gives me some joint pains, I feel "stale", and humidity doesn't allow to sleep properly.

I never visited Phoenix, but I wonder if it is more comfortable since it is desert heat. I've experience a heatwave in NJ where the temperature was 90 degrees and it was dry heat and that was comfortable. But, people are right. Visit Phoenix in the summer first to see if you will change your mind. There are other places in the West that are warm and plus the West is a desert, so less precipitation will occur than back East.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:59 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,389,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I am from NJ, 20, and I'd have to agree with you, but I don't mind a little cold. Shoveling anything about 2 inches of snow sucks! I don't mind 2 inches of snow to shovel. Tbh, I'd avoid Florida and the East, because I don't like humidity. Humidity gives me some joint pains, I feel "stale", and humidity doesn't allow to sleep properly.

I never visited Phoenix, but I wonder if it is more comfortable since it is desert heat. I've experience a heatwave in NJ where the temperature was 90 degrees and it was dry heat and that was comfortable. But, people are right. Visit Phoenix in the summer first to see if you will change your mind. There are other places in the West that are warm and plus the West is a desert, so less precipitation will occur than back East.
Dry heat feels better than humid heat but i would not want to be outdoors in the Phoenix summers because the average high is over 100. Hot is still hot but your are right that humidity typically makes it worse.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:55 PM

631 posts, read 563,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSK Fan View Post
I work for a painting contractor so I hopefully will be able to find a job wherever I go...

Here are the options I'm considering in order:

Homestead, FL
A bit farther than I'd like from professional sports, but still on the list.

Brownsville, Harlingen, South Padre Island, TX
If cost of living was the only factor it would be a done deal, but lack of entertainment options are a giant drawback for me.
Homestead, FL has serious problems with crime.

Wages in Brownsville-Harlingen area are very low... including for people in the painting field.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:41 PM

9 posts, read 7,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Everybody in the Phoenix section says you really should visit Phoenix in the summer before you actually move there, lots of people do so and don't realize what they're getting into, if you haven't already done so.
I have visited Phoenix in the summer and Las Vegas. The only problem I had was being cold as strange as that sounds. I love the high heat (and I even love humidity). I'd be nice and comfortable outdoors then whenever I went inside somewhere, grocery store, shopping mall, arena the air conditioning would be blasting so high that I would become uncomfortably cold. I think Vegas is leading the way as of right now. I definitely appreciate everyone's input

Old 09-10-2018, 09:46 PM

12,844 posts, read 9,578,282 times
Almost anywhere in Texas is cheap and hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.