Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 02:42 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
How did you arrive at that conclusion? What is your definition of patriotism? The states or region that sells the most flag lapel pins, per capita? Southerners don't have the market cornered when it comes to patriotism, not by a long shot.

I worked as a bus boy in a family style restaraunt in Muncie, Indiana and each day before dark, it was my job to take the flag down from the flag pole before it got dark or before a storm hit and fold it up in a respectful proper flag ettiqute manner and store it in a proper resting place until early the next morning when the morning shift bus boy raises the flag up the flag pole.

Honestly, I don't know of a more patriotic state than Indiana. American flags are everywhere all across the Hoosier State and most Hoosiers like it like that. If you are in Indiana, you can look in almost any direction and you will see at least 1 American flag flying in front of a house or a business.
We do have a lot of this kind of patriotism here in Louisiana too. Also the Confederate flag represents regional pride and rural pride to us so flying it doesn't make one less patriotic to the US. I personally fly both an American flag and a Confederate flag inside my house. I can tell you that practically all of my non-black friends here respect the Confederate flag and wanted the monuments in New Orleans to stay up even if we don't actually wear or display the flag in public aside from honky tonk bars or country music concerts (all it takes is one crazy BLM type person to become violent and cause trouble). We also have absolutely no tolerance for Colin Kaepernick and his ilk. The football players at LSU and Auburn wouldn't DARE pull his kind of stunt.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I always found it a bit ironic that the people most likely to fly a confederate flag in their backyard are also the most likely to get mad when someone kneels for the national anthem.

Sometimes people are just weird like that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I find it ironic when liberal colleges and school systems ban the American flag because it might "offend" people but are perfectly fine with illegal aliens flying the Mexican flag and with refugees flying the flags of Islamic nations.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:00 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,437 times
Wow, I’ve lived in TX, FL, OH, IN and NJ. I’d say Midwesterners are just as openly patriotic as Southerners. But making a show of your patriotism through your actions isn’t necessarily patriotism. What each individual defines as patriotic can vary quite a bit, and it seems to in this thread as well. Many pro-Confederacy folks consider themselves pro-America, others see that as incongruous.

And it’s not as prevalent as in the South, but you see Confederate flags in the Midwest as well, even though those states were part of the Union. At least in the Midwest if not elsewhere I don’t see how proudly displaying a Confederate flag as anything but racist, and that’s un-American to me.

It’s sad to me we are still debating this issue and there are still as many pro-Confederacy folks in the USA now more than 150 years after the end of the US Civil War. Rooted in racism IMO no matter how many insist otherwise.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:51 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,228 times
The South is *very* patriotic. I've seen way more American flags in Alabama than I have in California. The South also holds veterans in higher esteem than any other region.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:53 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I find it ironic when liberal colleges and school systems ban the American flag because it might "offend" people but are perfectly fine with illegal aliens flying the Mexican flag and with refugees flying the flags of Islamic nations.
As far as I know, there aren’t any colleges in New England looking to “ban the flag” , and if there are, then they’re clearly not being taken very seriously because this is the first time I’m hearing about it.

Meanwhile, flying the confederate flag is just as treasonous and anti-American as it ever was. I have no idea how you can possibly defend it.

As for immigrants: when my great-grandparents came to the US from Ireland in the early 1900s to escape oppression and build a better life, the process of getting permanent residence was relatively simple. To my knowledge, they never worried about being sent back to Ireland. It would be hypocritical of me to expect anything more from the people immigrating to the US today.

Furthermore, those “illegal” immigrants are my neighbors and friends and good hard-working people. I once knew a guy from Africa who has a relative in the US and when is mother was a couple months away from giving birth, his parents came over to “visit” their relative and happened to give birth while here. So of course their child was immediately granted full American citizenship without any questions asked. The man in question spent absolutely none of his childhood in the US and is still a full US citizen. Meanwhile my classmates in high school, who spent all of their formative years here, had to go home everyday afraid their parents just wouldn’t be there. It’s sickening!

As a country entirely founded and built by immigrants, being anti-immigration is about the most anti-American thing you can possibly be.

Also, my family and I fly the Irish flag all the freaking time. If someone moves here from Mexico or Turkey, I have literally zero problem with them flying either country’s flag.

[/rant]

Old 09-06-2018, 07:22 AM

724 posts, read 503,505 times
Quote:
There's no "anti-American" "pro-Confederate" sentiment. I'm from Louisiana and have also lived in West Virginia (in the culturally southern part). There is a clear anti-federal government sentiment both in South Louisiana and southern WV but its not "anti-American". Being against the federal government doesnt make you anti-American.

There's a parallel to the Civil War in that we still suffer from government overreach and there's still the sense that states rights aren't respected, such as the federal level forcing Obamacare, abortion, gay marriage, and economic overregulation on us. In West Virginia there's a LOT of resentment and anger over the War on Coal during the Obama era that has destroyed the livelihoods of entire communities. In Louisiana there's a lot of anger about how FEMA screwed over many people during the 2016 Baton Rouge area floods and during Hurricane Katrina. There's also how the flooding during Katrina happened because of the government in the first place because they're the ones who constructed the levees in such a manner and also failed to maintain them.

Many areas that are "flood areas" now were not flood areas in the 1800s and only became so because of how and where the government built levees in order to protect northern, upriver states. I have MANY friends who were screwed over by FEMA in 2016. Also FEMA failed to help a lot of businesses recover. It seems like though that members of Obama's base and illegal aliens were able to benefit from the disasters and get completely new, larger homes rebuilt and be able to be relocated out of the ghetto, but most middle class people were completly screwed over by FEMA.

Really ? I mean don't organizations like League of the South fit said profile ?

Old 09-06-2018, 07:26 AM

724 posts, read 503,505 times
I don't mean to tell anyone what to type but for the sake of the topic at hand , it'd be great if this discussion were not to be diverted to the issues of immigration and such .

With that said here's another pro Confederate anthem to put things into perspective :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK1EOle6OQw

Old 09-06-2018, 08:38 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
I find it ironic when liberal colleges and school systems ban the American flag because it might "offend" people
Wait... they have?

Really?

The world has changed so much since the nineties.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:28 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
I don't mean to tell anyone what to type but for the sake of the topic at hand , it'd be great if this discussion were not to be diverted to the issues of immigration and such .

With that said here's another pro Confederate anthem to put things into perspective :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK1EOle6OQw
Yet another example of a song written in the 1860s during the Civil War (Second American Revolution; War Between the States; War of Southern Secession; War of Northern Aggression or, my favorite, The Recent Unpleasantness). Considered, along with probably hundreds if not thousands of others, as traditional or US folk music.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Wow, I’ve lived in TX, FL, OH, IN and NJ. I’d say Midwesterners are just as openly patriotic as Southerners. But making a show of your patriotism through your actions isn’t necessarily patriotism. What each individual defines as patriotic can vary quite a bit, and it seems to in this thread as well. Many pro-Confederacy folks consider themselves pro-America, others see that as incongruous.

And it’s not as prevalent as in the South, but you see Confederate flags in the Midwest as well, even though those states were part of the Union. At least in the Midwest if not elsewhere I don’t see how proudly displaying a Confederate flag as anything but racist, and that’s un-American to me.

It’s sad to me we are still debating this issue and there are still as many pro-Confederacy folks in the USA now more than 150 years after the end of the US Civil War. Rooted in racism IMO no matter how many insist otherwise.
Again, even outside the South, the rebel flag can simply represent a rural lifestyle, pride in being from a small town, or supporting states rights against the federal government. Many people on the Midwest also feel the federal government is forcing gun control, Obamacare and abortion on them against their will and the federal government is the one that sacrificed many American jobs in the Rust Belt for geopolitical reasons. Being against the federal governmetn doesn't make you anti-American. For example is it anti-American to be angry about how the Clinton administration burned those children alive in Waco? Or be angry about how FEMA handled Katrina and the 2016 Louisiana floods and how the government is responsible for the flooding in Katrina? Or how the government launched the war on coal and put tens of thousands in Appalachia out of work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.