Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2019, 06:02 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Will it become majority black .....again? Possibly, if more Blacks moved to the state.
Which is highly doubtful, sad to say. Even as bad as the conservative governors/legislatures of other Southern states are, Mississippi's just seem determined to keep the state stuck at the very bottom of the barrel which doesn't bode well for increased domestic migration to the state for any group of people. All that does is repel the folks that the state desperately needs to attract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 08:21 PM

2,657 posts, read 2,101,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Which is highly doubtful, sad to say. Even as bad as the conservative governors/legislatures of other Southern states are, Mississippi's just seem determined to keep the state stuck at the very bottom of the barrel which doesn't bode well for increased domestic migration to the state for any group of people. All that does is repel the folks that the state desperately needs to attract.
It would seem so but doesn't stop Blacks from coming here regardless , albeit a small portion. The state is heading to be 40% Black and just like other "Red" states there's " Blue" cities/towns. Additionally, there's about as many black politicians here as Georgia per say. Economics moreso than just politics.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
It would seem so but doesn't stop Blacks from coming here regardless , albeit a small portion. The state is heading to be 40% Black and just like other "Red" states there's " Blue" cities/towns. Additionally, there's about as many black politicians here as Georgia per say. Economics moreso than just politics.
Of course there will always be people moving to any state and Mississippi is no exception but unlike states like GA, NC, TX, etc. most Blacks moving to Mississippi are probably moving to be near family and not for job opportunities. I don't really see any reason to expect an appreciable uptick in Black migration to the state anytime soon.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Of course there will always be people moving to any state and Mississippi is no exception but unlike states like GA, NC, TX, etc. most Blacks moving to Mississippi are probably moving to be near family and not for job opportunities. I don't really see any reason to expect an appreciable uptick in Black migration to the state anytime soon.
The Black migration to Mississippi have been going since the 70s. Illinois Blacks have been the largest share with about tens of thousands moving here ( From 1990 to 2000 I think it was around 20,000). Now for family of course but there are certain job markets attracting a few and colleges/universities for the younger generation.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:10 PM

5,826 posts, read 5,632,476 times
My (step)mother was born in Walls, Mississippi (Desoto County), her parents were childhood friends and both sides are from there. She went on to be raised in Memphis and Upstate NY, and the majority of her dad's family relocated to New York in the 60s and 70s, and the majority of her mom's family relocated to Memphis in the same period. According to my grandfather, he moved my grandma and mom up to NYS, where some of his siblings had already relocated, 4 or 5 months after Dr. King's murder. He was working in Memphis and the tension was crazy, and he already had a number of bad experiences growing up as a young black man in Mississippi...

So this would have been about August or September of '68 that they left Memphis, so my mom was 8-9 months old and grew up in NY until she was 14 and relocated back to Memphis. Nowadays she still has extended family in Walls, and being that Walls barely has 1000 people and is 65% black, my mom is likely related to most of the town. I do know that my mom only has one surviving aunt on her dad's side that is still there; the majority of her parent's siblings relocated from MS decades ago, so her connection there is limited to distant relatives, mostly...

Still, I will admit I enjoyed going out into the country as a kid. I didn't like Mississippi per se, but my grandma and great aunt (both now deceased) had a fishing hole near Hernando they had been going to since children, and I loved the excitement they had about it and the stories the uh would tell. I loved going on tours of Walls and Tunica, where there was also distant family, and hearing stories about what used to be. The connection from my mom's side was far more nostalgic than listening to my grandfather or great uncle in NY recall MS, and it was pretty cool...

I went to 8th grade at Southaven Middle in 02-03. I can't say I enjoyed it. We did everything in Memphis, my grandma, my mom's sister, all her family was in South Memphis, Grizzlies games were in Memphis, there was no mall in Desoto County back then, we went to church in North Memphis, etc, my mom worked two of her three jobs in Tennessee (one in North Memphis and Army Reserves in Millington). But our address was in Mississippi and we went to school in Mississippi and I hated it...

Desoto County in those days was still known for being populated by white flight from Memphis in the previous decades, and was still pretty racist. Southaven was racist, trips to Senatobia, Grenada, Chulahoma, these places had large black populations but didn't exude confidence as particularly safe for blacks. It was extraordinarily segregated, even then in the early 2000s....

Desoto County has turned a huge corner in the almost 16 years since I left, but it's still Mississippi. Most blacks are poor in NW Mississippi period, and I don't think much has changed in terms of most blacks looking to get out of NW Sip than want to stay. Of the handful of classmates I kept up with, not a one of them lives in Mississippi anymore...

I don't find MS particularly pleasing to the eyes, the black culture there is heavily rooted but largely impoverished and uneducated, and there is no dynamism to draw people in, especially those of us with no ties there. I haven't been to MS since my grandma's funeral in Memphis in July 2017. It will be a long time before I make it that way again, if ever. Memphis has more relevance to me, but it's hard to go to Memphis right now. And for Mississippi, to a lot of us, it's still Mississippi. Charming in it's own right, I guess, but not enough to get us to start packing up and moving there en masse...

Old 03-24-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
The Black migration to Mississippi have been going since the 70s. Illinois Blacks have been the largest share with about tens of thousands moving here ( From 1990 to 2000 I think it was around 20,000). Now for family of course but there are certain job markets attracting a few and colleges/universities for the younger generation.
That's mostly just folks with Mississippi roots returning home, especially retirees. Chicago was the biggest destination for Mississippians during the Great Migration because of the direct railroad connections and that's why so many Black Chicagoans have family in Mississippi. Overall Mississippi is experiencing a huge brain drain and is losing Millenials in particular more than any other state; the relatively few educated young people moving there for a job are overwhelmingly outnumbered by those leaving. It's so bad that there's been a state brain drain commission formed to tackle the issue and legislation passed the Mississippi House of Representatives last year offering tax breaks to folks who graduate from college in Mississippi and stick around for a job for the next couple years after graduation. I promise you I'm not beating up on the state but you're not being completely honest about what's really going on. If there's something brewing that I'm not aware of that's going to cause a significant uptick in Black folks moving to Mississippi, let me know because I'm not seeing it at all. Heck I barely see that happening for my own state of SC and we've been one of the fastest-growing states in the country for the past couple years and have a lot more to draw Black transplants than Mississippi.

I think there's a better chance of Mississippi becoming majority Black again due to more Whites leaving the state than Blacks than more Blacks relocating there.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
My (step)mother was born in Walls, Mississippi (Desoto County), her parents were childhood friends and both sides are from there. She went on to be raised in Memphis and Upstate NY, and the majority of her dad's family relocated to New York in the 60s and 70s, and the majority of her mom's family relocated to Memphis in the same period. According to my grandfather, he moved my grandma and mom up to NYS, where some of his siblings had already relocated, 4 or 5 months after Dr. King's murder. He was working in Memphis and the tension was crazy, and he already had a number of bad experiences growing up as a young black man in Mississippi...

So this would have been about August or September of '68 that they left Memphis, so my mom was 8-9 months old and grew up in NY until she was 14 and relocated back to Memphis. Nowadays she still has extended family in Walls, and being that Walls barely has 1000 people and is 65% black, my mom is likely related to most of the town. I do know that my mom only has one surviving aunt on her dad's side that is still there; the majority of her parent's siblings relocated from MS decades ago, so her connection there is limited to distant relatives, mostly...

Still, I will admit I enjoyed going out into the country as a kid. I didn't like Mississippi per se, but my grandma and great aunt (both now deceased) had a fishing hole near Hernando they had been going to since children, and I loved the excitement they had about it and the stories the uh would tell. I loved going on tours of Walls and Tunica, where there was also distant family, and hearing stories about what used to be. The connection from my mom's side was far more nostalgic than listening to my grandfather or great uncle in NY recall MS, and it was pretty cool...

I went to 8th grade at Southaven Middle in 02-03. I can't say I enjoyed it. We did everything in Memphis, my grandma, my mom's sister, all her family was in South Memphis, Grizzlies games were in Memphis, there was no mall in Desoto County back then, we went to church in North Memphis, etc, my mom worked two of her three jobs in Tennessee (one in North Memphis and Army Reserves in Millington). But our address was in Mississippi and we went to school in Mississippi and I hated it...

Desoto County in those days was still known for being populated by white flight from Memphis in the previous decades, and was still pretty racist. Southaven was racist, trips to Senatobia, Grenada, Chulahoma, these places had large black populations but didn't exude confidence as particularly safe for blacks. It was extraordinarily segregated, even then in the early 2000s....

Desoto County has turned a huge corner in the almost 16 years since I left, but it's still Mississippi. Most blacks are poor in NW Mississippi period, and I don't think much has changed in terms of most blacks looking to get out of NW Sip than want to stay. Of the handful of classmates I kept up with, not a one of them lives in Mississippi anymore...

I don't find MS particularly pleasing to the eyes, the black culture there is heavily rooted but largely impoverished and uneducated, and there is no dynamism to draw people in, especially those of us with no ties there. I haven't been to MS since my grandma's funeral in Memphis in July 2017. It will be a long time before I make it that way again, if ever. Memphis has more relevance to me, but it's hard to go to Memphis right now. And for Mississippi, to a lot of us, it's still Mississippi. Charming in it's own right, I guess, but not enough to get us to start packing up and moving there en masse...
Wow, i didn't expect this much summary from you. I diagree with with the black culture here is largely impoverished & uneducated. Come to the Mississippi thread if you want to discuss that viewpoint. I like your current topic and want to get back on track.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:39 AM

Quote:
That's mostly just folks with Mississippi roots returning home, especially retirees. Chicago was the biggest destination for Mississippians during the Great Migration because of the direct railroad connections and that's why so many Black Chicagoans have family in Mississippi. Overall Mississippi is experiencing a huge brain drain and is losing Millenials in particular more than any other state; the relatively few educated young people moving there for a job are overwhelmingly outnumbered by those leaving. It's so bad that there's been a state brain drain commission formed to tackle the issue and legislation passed the Mississippi House of Representatives last year offering tax breaks to folks who graduate from college in Mississippi and stick around for a job for the next couple years after graduation. I promise you I'm not beating up on the state but you're not being completely honest about what's really going on. If there's something brewing that I'm not aware of that's going to cause a significant uptick in Black folks moving to Mississippi, let me know because I'm not seeing it at all. Heck I barely see that happening for my own state of SC and we've been one of the fastest-growing states in the country for the past couple years and have a lot more to draw Black transplants than Mississippi.

I think there's a better chance of Mississippi becoming majority Black again due to more Whites leaving the state than Blacks than more Blacks relocating there.
I already know the ties to Chicago (i have friend & relative from the area) via great migration ( read about it alot). That will include St.Louis, East St.Louis, Milwaukee, Davenport, & lesser degree Minneapolis. Most of the Chicago roots goes to the Delta/NW Mississippi & Jackson Metro while St.Louis/East St Louis is towards Northeast MS ( my home area) then elsewhere.

As a Millennial, the brain that statement is mostly true. I'm still here due to my skill in a trade. Yet, i know a few other peers that have remained here in the state and left too. I'm not trying say there's a secret vast job market that's being overlook yet it's not that heavily bleak here economically speaking per say. It's a matter of location ( like every other state) , career field/entrepreneur wise , & individual lifestyle. If you live in the Delta/Southwest region then agricultural/ heavy duty blue collar industry limit but the other regions offer a bit more. I generally notice Black folks that moved here reasons differ by age bracket; young = mostly college student and light chance of remaining while older= retiree/family ties/ professional whose going to live here long term to permanently. Then you have a mixed bag of those that are hired here from out of state.

I can agree with that chance as well. The black population is still growing here and the migrants we received is an additional bonus. When the 2020 census is publish Mississippi will still have the highest black % and even be more blacker. One of the key factors in my opinion is not having more larger metros or higher growth like in Alabama or Louisiana that attracts the younger crowd then the state's negative reputation/stereotypes overshadow it in mainstream media.

As a black man that lived here nearly all my life, ( visited many other southern states, lived in a Nashville surburb for a short time ) my expression ranges from baffled at outsiders view of my state to exasperation with some of the locals wanting amenities of a large city entertainment while not dealing with the headaches that come with it. We got traffic issues, surburbish attitudes, etc that comes with a metro cities just small scale.If you ever YouTube Breakfast Club with Big Krit it sums up most of the feeling.

Sorry for getting off topic. I just wanted to share my personal experience from a balanced as possible viewpoint without being heavily weighing in the negative.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
I already know the ties to Chicago (i have friend & relative from the area) via great migration ( read about it alot). That will include St.Louis, East St.Louis, Milwaukee, Davenport, & lesser degree Minneapolis. Most of the Chicago roots goes to the Delta/NW Mississippi & Jackson Metro while St.Louis/East St Louis is towards Northeast MS ( my home area) then elsewhere.

As a Millennial, the brain that statement is mostly true. I'm still here due to my skill in a trade. Yet, i know a few other peers that have remained here in the state and left too. I'm not trying say there's a secret vast job market that's being overlook yet it's not that heavily bleak here economically speaking per say. It's a matter of location ( like every other state) , career field/entrepreneur wise , & individual lifestyle. If you live in the Delta/Southwest region then agricultural/ heavy duty blue collar industry limit but the other regions offer a bit more. I generally notice Black folks that moved here reasons differ by age bracket; young = mostly college student and light chance of remaining while older= retiree/family ties/ professional whose going to live here long term to permanently. Then you have a mixed bag of those that are hired here from out of state.

I can agree with that chance as well. The black population is still growing here and the migrants we received is an additional bonus. When the 2020 census is publish Mississippi will still have the highest black % and even be more blacker. One of the key factors in my opinion is not having more larger metros or higher growth like in Alabama or Louisiana that attracts the younger crowd then the state's negative reputation/stereotypes overshadow it in mainstream media.

As a black man that lived here nearly all my life, ( visited many other southern states, lived in a Nashville surburb for a short time ) my expression ranges from baffled at outsiders view of my state to exasperation with some of the locals wanting amenities of a large city entertainment while not dealing with the headaches that come with it. We got traffic issues, surburbish attitudes, etc that comes with a metro cities just small scale.If you ever YouTube Breakfast Club with Big Krit it sums up most of the feeling.

Sorry for getting off topic. I just wanted to share my personal experience from a balanced as possible viewpoint without being heavily weighing in the negative.
I gotcha...thanks for sharing.

When it comes to Southern states attracting a sizable amount of Black domestic migrants, what they all have in common is having at least one 1M+ metro with an above-average growth rate. I don't have access to the most recent stats, but I'm nearly certain that when it comes to Black domestic migration rates alone, GA, TX, NC, and FL will be at the top of the pack in some order. VA is *probably* next but a bit tricky to decipher because most Blacks who head to the DMV go to the 'M' (Maryland) although there are a decent amount of Black transplants in Arlington and Alexandria. I'm assuming Richmond's numbers are solid for its size but not outsized and Hampton Roads isn't contributing too much to the phenomenon outside of retirees. I'm thinking TN, SC, and AL are next in some order with MS, AR, KY, and OK at the back of the pack. LA is another tricky one to decipher due to resettlement patterns of those who moved away after Katrina and have since moved/are now moving back which technically counts as domestic migration but is clearly a unique phenomenon compared to other Southern states. And if you count WV as Southern, it would easily be dead last.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:09 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
I have always been baffled by why Mississippi did not attract investment as a cheap source of labor. Initially, most of move to the south, starting in the 80's, was due to cheaper cost for labor and cheaper cost to do business. Mississippi seems to have all that. Maybe it lacks the infrastructure to attract major corporations and lacks a major airport and major research universities, which seems to be must for growing areas. That being said, I can see the leadership of Mississippi (white conservatives) wanting to keep things "traditional" and not wanting to attract "northerners" and or other minorities. Some people like their areas to stay like they are, especially older folks. I think other southern states wanted to compete with northern states and have the things that the North had that the south was looked down upon for not having.

Mississippi is where my parents were born and raised. I visited there often in my youth. I could not stand going down there in my youth because we were out in the country and there was nothing really to do. Now, being out in the country is something that is attractive to me, as a 50 something. I would love to be able to have a field and grow my own vegetables and have a little farm, as apposed to eating the poison they sell us in stores. I could not appreciate what Mississippi had to offer then, but I can now, plus, my parents own land down there.

One possible means for Mississippi's black population to grow is for it to become a retirement haven for blacks kind of like Florida and Arizona became for whites. Like I mentioned before, I am exploring retirement in Africa and part of the reason is that it is so cheap, however, the primary worry would be health care. Mississippi has a low cost of living and for people on fixed income your money has more purchasing power. I would think that the best area with growth potential would be Jackson to the south and the Gulf Coast area. I think Mississippi could really exploit the potential of the Gulf Coast to attract people.

The one thing that I always loved about Mississippi was the warmness of the people. Everyone made you feel so welcome. When you live in areas with nothing much to do, relationships become everything. Hence, people value other people and hence respect other people much more and look out for people. That is what I felt when I used to go to Mississippi. Unfortunately, we are moving away from that as a country and even sadder is how social media is spreading culture now, as opposed to ones local environment. Consequently, the youths being raised in places like Mississippi are not following the traditions of their areas, but rather, what they see in social media. That is not only true for Mississippi, but for youths all over. Culture is being learned now from social media, which kinds of destroys the beauty of regional culture and attitudes. I am really glad to grow up in the era I did. Even though its better racially for younger blacks than when I was growing up.....I would not want to be growing up in this era. Things were real back then while everything now seems artificial.

Right now......many jobs could be done working remotely. Automation is also going to eliminate millions of jobs. How will these changes or trends impact where we choose to live? In other words, where would I live if I were not tied to a building or location to do my job? Where would people live if the government started providing people with an income because artificial intelligence eliminated millions of jobs? It's one thing to look at what is happening and what has happened. That is a no brainer. The question is "what will happen" and seeing the emerging trends and changes that will alter the course or direction of society....as well as migration patterns. This country is really in a deep hole economically, in regards to debt.....in regards to trade deficit. We are on an unsustainable path, mathematically. What will be the fallout? How will that impact the past migration trends of people in general and black people in particular?

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 03-24-2019 at 07:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.