Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City with best climate
Los Angeles, CA 16 17.20%
San Diego, CA 34 36.56%
San Francisco, CA 8 8.60%
Phoenix, AZ 1 1.08%
Seattle, WA 2 2.15%
Portland, OR 2 2.15%
Charlotte, NC 3 3.23%
Atlanta, GA 10 10.75%
Jacksonville, FL 1 1.08%
New York, NY 0 0%
Tampa, FL 1 1.08%
Sacramento, CA 1 1.08%
New Orleans, LA 0 0%
Cincinnati, OH 1 1.08%
Miami, FL 2 2.15%
Austin, TX 0 0%
Orlando, FL 1 1.08%
Tucson, AZ 0 0%
Honolulu, HI 1 1.08%
Chicago, IL 1 1.08%
Other 8 8.60%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 07:43 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,475,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
California weather, in general, is pretty boring to me. I like change of seasons. I like a nice cold night spent inside with friends/family. Not much like watching a big thunderstorm come rolling by out your window, especially in a high rise. Hot and sweaty summers aren't great per se, but actually hot days with warm nights can't be beat. SoCal coastal areas rarely get warmer than 80 degrees, which isn't great beach weather IMO. I prefer mid/upper 80s for the beach because it's not as cold when you get out. Actual fall foliage is beautiful and feeling that little chill in the air following summer is a wonderful feeling. Those first few warm days following winter are equally as invigorating.

Therefore, all of California is out for me. Phoenix is far too hot in summer and stays hot for too long. Seattle and Portland rain too much. Charlotte can be a little warm. I thought about Atlanta. Jacksonville, Tampa, New Orleans, Miami, Austin, Orlando, and Tucson are too hot in summer and stay hot too long. Honolulu doesn't cool off ever, but at least is more bearable in summer with the trade winds.

It was between Atlanta, NYC, Cincinnati, Chicago, and Sacramento. Atlanta and Sacramento don't get real enough winters for me. Cincinnati doesn't get enough snow for my liking. NYC can be absolutely stifling in summer when the breezes shut down and the heat radiates off the buildings. I voted Chicago. Winter can be downright brutal, but I handle the cold better than the heat, and at least Chicago has more accessible beaches in summer when temperatures match NYC. And above-ground L stations provide at least some relief compared to underground MTA stations.

Bring on the hate in 3, 2, 1...
No hate, I agree! I can live anywhere in the US and I currently live in Chicago. Wouldn't say the weather here is perfect, but a distinct 4 seasons and lots of snow are a must for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 01:30 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
San Diego definitely does not have perfect weather and it is a bit too constant and dry but it also does vary within a very small range of about 20°F from 60-80. That being said at the coast nearly every single day is a very good chance that you will have morning clouds and afternoon clouds with sun in between for several hours so there is a small bit of variety every day.

I would declare it darn near perfect on good El Niño years, with 16-20” of rain as opposed to the average 10” (or the awful 3” that we experienced this year!) and lots of snow in the local mountains to visit and a a stellar wildflower bloom in the deserts. I absolutely loathe humidity and hate anything approaching 90°F so that pretty well knocks out the rest of the country. PNW is great with sun mixed in with rain like Northern CA but too much grey and drizzle for me. Northern Ca foothills where I grew up is great by my brother said they have had 40 days over 95° this summer so no thanks!

I’ll take boring and delightfully comfortable year round. And visit my favorite regions for a change of weather and seasons year round.
Exactly. I’m at my cabin in the mountains right now 2 hours from our house in San Diego sitting at 6K feet surrounded by a green forest looking at 10K ft mountains. It got down to the high 40’s last night, and some of the trees are already starting to change colors. There’s a good amount of deciduous trees to give nice color, but the majority of massive pines doesn’t make it look like a barren wasteland come winter. We’ll come up here to ski later this fall and winter, but return home to 70 degrees and the beach.

I get how people may not like California for many reasons, but it’s hard to argue against its weather along the coast, and variety of environments within a short distance that gives you the four seasons, and more.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:42 PM

97 posts, read 64,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Given that I am a simpleton and can't afford to live right along California's coastline, it's never going to be an option for me.
you dont have to be smart to be rich, lol.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:43 PM

most people really just like moderate temps and stability year-round. california isnt special in that, honestly, it would lose compared to say, sydney in australia.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:22 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,859 times
On that list, I guess it would have to be Chicago for having 4 seasons and interesting weather

The best climates are not in a major city though. Syracuse, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Marquette and my current city all have good climates.

Detroit, Minneapolis, and Milwaukee also have decent climates.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeped View Post
most people really just like moderate temps and stability year-round. california isnt special in that, honestly, it would lose compared to say, sydney in australia.
Lol. You say California isn’t anything special, but the place it would lose to is half way around the world. Ironically both Southern California and New South Wales have similar climates. I found it a bit more humid, and the sun seemed more intense there than back home, but that’s just me.

The best climate on this list is actually Honolulu. You just don’t get the access to the variety that you do in Southern California in 1-2 hours. The Big Island has snow, but not Oahu. Personally anywhere along the coast in the Hawaiian Islands is perfection to me. The interior can be a bit steamy at times.

You are right that most people like moderate temperatures year round, who wouldn’t. Not sure why so many have a hard time admitting it.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Lol. You say California isn’t anything special, but the place it would lose to is half way around the world. Ironically both Southern California and New South Wales have similar climates. I found it a bit more humid, and the sun seemed more intense there than back home, but that’s just me.

The best climate on this list is actually Honolulu. You just don’t get the access to the variety that you do in Southern California in 1-2 hours. The Big Island has snow, but not Oahu. Personally anywhere along the coast in the Hawaiian Islands is perfection to me. The interior can be a bit steamy at times.

You are right that most people like moderate temperatures year round, who wouldn’t. Not sure why so many have a hard time admitting it.
lmao thats the point, lots of places offer moderate temps. theres nothing special about cali in that department.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeped View Post
lmao thats the point, lots of places offer moderate temps. theres nothing special about cali in that department.
You won’t find anything close to it in the continental US

Old 09-08-2018, 07:04 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,337,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Not sure why people obsessed with California have a hard time admitting that not everyone likes the weather there. I get some people like the same temperature and constant sunshine year round. But plenty of people don't. I like change of seasons. I appreciate snow in winter, thunderstorms, leaves changing colors, warm humid nights. I understand lots of people move to CA for the 75 and sunny weather year round, but way too many people have a hard time believing that I DON'T like that.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:15 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Not sure why people obsessed with California have a hard time admitting that not everyone likes the weather there. I get some people like the same temperature and constant sunshine year round. But plenty of people don't. I like change of seasons. I appreciate snow in winter, thunderstorms, leaves changing colors, warm humid nights. I understand lots of people move to CA for the 75 and sunny weather year round, but way too many people have a hard time believing that I DON'T like that.
I agree with this. Variety of weather is the spice of life. Just as long it is not "too" extreme! For example, I would never live in Buffalo, Rochester, or Syracuse due to the heavy snow. I wouldn't live in Phoenx due to the extreme heat. I wouldn't live in Houston due to the extreme humidity.

I voted for San Diego for its year-round comfortable weather, less rain than LA and usually avoids the extreme heat that LA can get.

However, I personally enjoy a moderate change of seasons. I think I would get bored with San Diego weather if was constantly nice. I like storms, I like the change in temperature, and even a reason to change my wardrobe from shorts to a nice warm coat.

What cities offer this?

Seattle
Portland
Bay Area, CA
Dallas
Nashville
Atlanta

Last edited by pnwguy2; 09-08-2018 at 08:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.