Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City with best climate
Los Angeles, CA 16 17.20%
San Diego, CA 34 36.56%
San Francisco, CA 8 8.60%
Phoenix, AZ 1 1.08%
Seattle, WA 2 2.15%
Portland, OR 2 2.15%
Charlotte, NC 3 3.23%
Atlanta, GA 10 10.75%
Jacksonville, FL 1 1.08%
New York, NY 0 0%
Tampa, FL 1 1.08%
Sacramento, CA 1 1.08%
New Orleans, LA 0 0%
Cincinnati, OH 1 1.08%
Miami, FL 2 2.15%
Austin, TX 0 0%
Orlando, FL 1 1.08%
Tucson, AZ 0 0%
Honolulu, HI 1 1.08%
Chicago, IL 1 1.08%
Other 8 8.60%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 10:32 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
it's weaker once in moves east to El Paso. It shows in the desert where the Sonoran is much greener and lush vs the Chihuahuan desert. El Paso does get much colder.
The two deserts are interesting in the sense that Phoenix and Tucson have absolutely no grass whatsoever, and a lot more trees/cacti while at least in northern New Mexico there was a grass-like covering, less trees but plenty of shrubs almost resembling the Plains just on the other side. A true gradient between eastern California/western Arizona (the most extreme of our desert areas, Death Valley speaks for itself) and the more humid Plains.

The strong monsoon storms are my favorite part about Phoenix, so it's a shame to hear that they are weaker in El Paso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSK Fan View Post
I love heat. I think San Diego is not warm enough in the winter. I visited in January and had to wear a coat. Florida, in my opinion, is the only place that's still nice in the dead of January. Even Phoenix is cold in January. Worst month of the year if you ask me. The first time I went to Phoenix I got off the plane in January expecting tee shirt weather and could not believe how cold it was (in the 50s if I remember correctly, which to me is cold) In the summer months Phoenix is my favorite, Las Vegas is a close second. But in December, January, February give me Florida.
I guess there is a first for everything, I suppose.

Phoenix like all arid climates has extreme temperature swings throughout the day, the swings are more prominent in the Mountain West (Colorado, Idaho) than they are here in the Southwest but we still see them. You might be one of those outliers that would actually really like Yuma or Bullhead City. Check out the Colorado River section of Arizona, downstream of the Grand Canyon. It is HOT over there. And also look into Palm Springs. All three of those are known to be hotter than Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 05:28 AM

97 posts, read 64,250 times
el paso is mountanous, so there is at least some orographic lift that enhances storm activity a bit.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:51 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Probably San Diego if I wanted to avoid extremes.
Right along the coast, at least.
Otherwise, I like the Great Lakes for the lower chances of heat and plenty of snow. Milwaukee because it's a smidgen cooler than Chicago, usually, and closer to places north which almost guarantee a break from the heat with a little drive.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:36 AM

50 posts, read 39,266 times
Heck yeah, SoCal absolutely should be shredding this poll.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:27 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
How would you like this weather? Guess what US city gets this weather?

1. hot, dry summers (I mean bone dry--most summers go by without a drop of rain). All the creeks are completely dried up, all the vegetation is dead and brown.
2. Heat waves that can drive the temps above 110 degrees
3. No breeze, no rain, and no clouds during the heat waves
4. Most nights in the summer see temps drop to 55 degrees. Even a 100 degree day can begin with a chilly morning.
5. hot, dry winds gusting up to 80 miles per hour that can occur anytime between September to April.
6. The winds are strongest at night, so it's so noisy you can hardly sleep.
7. The winds come with single-digit humidity and wreck your sinuses, crack your skin, cause nosebleeds, dandruff, allergies, etc.
8. The winds blow garbage around in the streets, knock down trees and powerlines, causing power outages and enormous wildfires.
9. The winds can raise the temp to up to 90 degrees during Christmas.
10. Winters are mild, but winters are the rainy season, so the rain and fog makes the winters feel colder than they are.
11. No snow. Just lots of cold rain. Whenever it rains, it's cold.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:37 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Cleveland.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:34 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
How would you like this weather? Guess what US city gets this weather?

1. hot, dry summers (I mean bone dry--most summers go by without a drop of rain). All the creeks are completely dried up, all the vegetation is dead and brown.
2. Heat waves that can drive the temps above 110 degrees
3. No breeze, no rain, and no clouds during the heat waves
4. Most nights in the summer see temps drop to 55 degrees. Even a 100 degree day can begin with a chilly morning.
5. hot, dry winds gusting up to 80 miles per hour that can occur anytime between September to April.
6. The winds are strongest at night, so it's so noisy you can hardly sleep.
7. The winds come with single-digit humidity and wreck your sinuses, crack your skin, cause nosebleeds, dandruff, allergies, etc.
8. The winds blow garbage around in the streets, knock down trees and powerlines, causing power outages and enormous wildfires.
9. The winds can raise the temp to up to 90 degrees during Christmas.
10. Winters are mild, but winters are the rainy season, so the rain and fog makes the winters feel colder than they are.
11. No snow. Just lots of cold rain. Whenever it rains, it's cold.
Great, here comes MrJester with his crazy extremes to crap on Southern California again. Since no ones buys your rhetoric on the California boards you decided to sell it to people who wil. Yes all those can happen in various spots, mostly far from the coast, but you, I, and about 20 million other people living there now know it’s not the norm. I don’t know why you haven’t moved to your perfect weather city of New Orleans already.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:25 AM

50 posts, read 39,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Great, here comes MrJester with his crazy extremes to crap on Southern California again. Since no ones buys your rhetoric on the California boards you decided to sell it to people who wil. Yes all those can happen in various spots, mostly far from the coast, but you, I, and about 20 million other people living there now know it’s not the norm. I don’t know why you haven’t moved to your perfect weather city of New Orleans already.
Eh, he's referring more to the Central Valley area near Fresno. But alot of that certainly applies to inland SoCal as well.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:37 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
Redwood City or Oakland

Old 09-12-2018, 06:14 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,311,508 times
Syracuse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.