Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 11:22 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Obvious CSA definitions aside, there are various other ways the two are linked. Williamsburg and its amenities, including and maybe especially William&Mary, is more connected to Richmond than it is to the Southside of Hampton Roads...
In a similar way, there's a continuous stretch of communities from Winston-Salem to Raleigh in NC. The daisy chain basically goes from west to east like this: Winston-Salem/Greensboro/Burlington/Durham/Raleigh with many more municipalities scattered among them. At points along that chain, smaller communities like Kernersville & Hillsborough connect them even further with commuters going both east and west. In fact, many people settle in these connecting places because one breadwinner in a household commutes east while the other goes west. However, this dynamic doesn't reasonably make the daisy chain one CSA from W-S to Raleigh.
On an expanded scale, one can argue that the chain heads south from Raleigh to Fayetteville, and southwest of W-S to Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 11:33 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
What I heard back when the Trenton MSA was moved from the Philadelphia CSA to the New York CSA was that the move was made primarily to give Federal employees in Mercer County a pay raise (the New York CSA's COL adjustment is higher than the one for Philadelphia).

I suspect that core-county commute patterns are such that it could still be placed in either.
I doubt that. They don't always align. Windham County CT is in Boston's CSA but Feds there get paid Hartford salaries. York County joined the Harrisburg CSA but they still get paid Washington-Baltimore salaries.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:58 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
1) Are Princeton (Borough and Township are now one municipality; the two merged in 2013) and West Windsor Township (where Princeton Junction rail station is located) receiving significantly more inflows of commuters from NY CSA counties than they had been? I'm pretty sure such outflows as exist from Mercer County head more towards Bucks County, Pa., than towards Middlesex County, N.J. (Princeton itself is what it is now because it is located exactly halfway between New York and Philadelphia.)
I remember we had an argument about Mercer back when 2010 census figures/2013 CSA definitions came out. As far as I remember, New York gets double the commuters compared to Philly, surprisingly the numbers weren't even close. My guess is that people around Princeton are, on average, a lot more mobile compared to people who live in Trenton.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:51 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I remember we had an argument about Mercer back when 2010 census figures/2013 CSA definitions came out. As far as I remember, New York gets double the commuters compared to Philly, surprisingly the numbers weren't even close. My guess is that people around Princeton are, on average, a lot more mobile compared to people who live in Trenton.

they are higher into the NYC MSA

a couple of things impacted the commuter movement

The Fairless steel works facility closed at the end of the 90s/early 2000s which impacted about 12K commuters into buck county from peak.

Also the Merrill Lynch facility originally going two miles into PA in Buck was moved across the river into Mercer county 4 miles away and their 14K employees

little movements and a few miles move stuff in and out for stats

today actually more people from Bucks PA and Burlington NJ commute into jobs in Mercer than the other way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.