Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2018, 11:57 AM

51 posts, read 48,462 times

Advertisements

Having recently gotten back into ice hockey (as a player - yes, at 60 years old!), my search criteria for my next hometown now includes - a local hockey culture. No, I'm not talking about mixing it up with former NHL or college players, just having fun in the local no-check beer league. Maybe a place with local pond hockey or backyard rinks.

The above criteria would be in addition to the other desirable things on my list:
- local open space/public land, with lots and lots of hiking and XC ski trails
- a liberal-friendly vibe; an attitude of tolerance, respect, and civility

- generally quiet, peaceful; a place where you can hike without hearing gunfire all the time
- a place that's affordable for my budget (house/condo prices under $150k)

My criteria obviously eliminates places in the South, and I'm really sick of the West, so I'm looking at areas like Marquette, Petoskey, Wausau, Duluth, or ??? I've only recently started to consider places further east (Goshen, MA, perhaps?).

Those of you who play hockey (or used to play) will know exactly what kind of hockey culture I'm looking for. For those who've never played, the movie (Mystery, Alaska) provides some clues. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, or recommendations (especially about, say, Duluth vs. Marquette), I'd be glad for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 01:19 PM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Plattsburgh and even Ithaca in NY are a couple of areas that would fit. Perhaps small college towns such as Potsdam and Canton also in NY(both are minutes away from each other in the same county) may also work, among others. College and HS Hockey is big in all of those areas and much of Upstate NY, to be honest. Same in terms of NHL and AHL Hockey, as there are 5 teams between the 2 leagues in that portion of the state(Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica and Binghamton).

Old 09-15-2018, 06:38 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Stevens Point WI has an average home price of around $150,000, 56% Democratic vote in recent national election and adult hockey http://www.google.com/url?q=https://...cBdVhkdIiLMreC

Grand Rapids MN meets similar criteria. Other places probably do too. Liberal politically might be somewhat less common than the affordable housing and hockey in the northwoods but some mill towns and mining towns will have a Democratic heritage.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-15-2018 at 06:48 PM..

Old 09-18-2018, 07:30 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
Cicely Alaska, perhaps.

Too bad you're tired of Crowderado. Colo Spgs has one of the largest hockey tournaments in the western US and has a fairly large underground hockey vibe. Three local rinks all support drop in hockey leagues. The central and western parts of town definetly have a liberal slant and even the more conservative areas are still very live and let live. Parks, trails, hiking, and open space abound. There is a local golf course that converts to cross country skiing in the winter.

However, snow is not always reliable in through out the winter. A house for $150k is going to be a stretch. There are some $150k townhomes around the city, but not always in the best areas.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:07 PM

51 posts, read 48,462 times
Thanks, folks, for the suggestions in NY, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. So many places look like a good fit. As for Colorado, I'm actually in a sort of hockey heaven right where I'm at, with Evergreen Lake just five and a half miles down the road. And, I've recently been playing in a very fun, low-key "lunch league," down in the Littleton area.

But it's not the Midwest. I can't find words to describe this. It's over-crowded, much too dry for my tastes, and it will never feel like home, no matter how much I try to make it so.

Thanks again, friends, much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.