Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 06:34 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,983 times

Advertisements

Stay out of the drug trade/gangs and your chances of being victimized in any of these or other cities goes down to insignificant. Also, Philadelphia's crime is very concentrated in a few select areas that you'd never go to unless you were specifically looking for trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 07:03 AM

1,608 posts, read 3,074,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Most years Burlington VT has zero murders per 100,000. The state has an overall average of 2.2. Have to say, I enjoy not having any violent crime.
Vermont is the 5th safest state out there.

SAFEST
1. New Hampshire
2. Maine
3. North Dakota
4. Minnesota
5. Vermont
6. Massachusetts
7. Rhode Island
8. Utah
9. Idaho
10. Nebraska

MOST DANGEROUS
1. Louisiana
2. Missouri
3. Maryland
4. Nevada
5. Alabama
6. Mississippi
7. Illinois
8. Arkansas
9. Alaska
10. Tennessee

Old 09-29-2018, 10:20 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Where in Vegas is dangerous?
Mainly the city of North Las Vegas and parts of Las Vegas proper north and east of downtown

Old 09-30-2018, 09:29 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I see so many large cities with extremely high crime rates. I'll name a few.

DETROIT, MI

NEW ORLEANS, LA

MEMPHIS, TN

PHILADELPHIA, PA

BALTIMORE, MD

ST. LOUIS, MO

CHICAGO, IL

LOUISVILLE, KY

LAS VEGAS, NV

MILWAUKEE, WI

Are these cities really as bad as the rankings says?

* source - https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...aw-enforcement
I lived in Milwaukee and Chicago, and never knew anyone impacted by crime. You know where not to go...and the rest of these two cities make them beautiful places to live.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:47 AM

451 posts, read 364,593 times
Organized crime is pervasive in Chicago.

Everyone knows about the high murder totals on the ground and that shouldn't be downplayed. Its very bad for HUGE portions of the city. Its just that Chicago is so big that tourists and even residents can happily spend their lives in the "good parts of town" without ever having to face the reality that about 40% of the residents deal with on a daily basis.

Its more than just street crime. Remember, Chicago is THE transportation hub of North America. As such it is THE north american hub of narcotics distribution. Which means organized crime has its fingers in every aspect of Chicago, and therefore Illinois, politics.

Chicago has a long history of organized crime and it continues today.

St. Louis' story is much different than Chicago.

I love St. Louis with all my heart, but the stats don't lie.

1.) Huge portions of North St. Louis are completely bombed out. There are almost no eyes on the ground so it is very easy to get away with crime up there. Its very common to hear about people from E. St. Louis or North County being killed in North City. Those that you have beef with will wait for a time when they know you will be in North City and then ambush you because they can get away with it. Usually drug/gang related. Occasionally this stuff spills over kills innocent people.

2.) Petty crime is common in St. Louis. I'd say in the majority of the city you are susceptible to petty property crimes I.e. car break ins. I don't think this is unique for St. Louis.

3.) As with many cities in the eastern half of the country killings are almost exclusively black on black

4.) St. Louis has a particular feeling of lawlessness just generally you don't really feel in most other cities. It often feels like anything goes as long as it isn't murder.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:20 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Organized crime is pervasive in Chicago.

Everyone knows about the high murder totals on the ground and that shouldn't be downplayed. Its very bad for HUGE portions of the city. Its just that Chicago is so big that tourists and even residents can happily spend their lives in the "good parts of town" without ever having to face the reality that about 40% of the residents deal with on a daily basis.

Its more than just street crime. Remember, Chicago is THE transportation hub of North America. As such it is THE north american hub of narcotics distribution. Which means organized crime has its fingers in every aspect of Chicago, and therefore Illinois, politics.

Chicago has a long history of organized crime and it continues today.

St. Louis' story is much different than Chicago.

I love St. Louis with all my heart, but the stats don't lie.

1.) Huge portions of North St. Louis are completely bombed out. There are almost no eyes on the ground so it is very easy to get away with crime up there. Its very common to hear about people from E. St. Louis or North County being killed in North City. Those that you have beef with will wait for a time when they know you will be in North City and then ambush you because they can get away with it. Usually drug/gang related. Occasionally this stuff spills over kills innocent people.

2.) Petty crime is common in St. Louis. I'd say in the majority of the city you are susceptible to petty property crimes I.e. car break ins. I don't think this is unique for St. Louis.

3.) As with many cities in the eastern half of the country killings are almost exclusively black on black

4.) St. Louis has a particular feeling of lawlessness just generally you don't really feel in most other cities. It often feels like anything goes as long as it isn't murder.
Honestly, who doesn't know Chicago and its Al Capone era. But Capone was a born and bred New Yorker and sent to Chicago to make his niche there. That he did. Then the mafia saw Vegas and sunny Cali to its liking. Through all its notorious eras .... Chicago still continued to be a premier city of the country. Early White Ethnic gangs were all part of its history too that the Depression and then WW2 had lessened.

The Gangs of today are ruthless but very segregated in there turf neighborhoods tat visitors never see and most locals live lives never going there. I never did when I lived there.

This gang shooting of Black on Back crime ..... remains that. They do not seek out White Chicagoans and areas of this very segregated city. No one is going to brush it under the rug. It made National headlines and commonly known. But with the rising tourism Chicago has been receiving at 55-million last year and a record expected this year. It isn't scaring away visitors as the city gets GREAT word of mouth feedback .... when they go home.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:55 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Where in Vegas is dangerous?
At a poker table.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:48 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I see so many large cities with extremely high crime rates. I'll name a few.

DETROIT, MI

NEW ORLEANS, LA

MEMPHIS, TN

PHILADELPHIA, PA

BALTIMORE, MD

ST. LOUIS, MO

CHICAGO, IL

LOUISVILLE, KY

LAS VEGAS, NV

MILWAUKEE, WI

Are these cities really as bad as the rankings says?

* source - https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...aw-enforcement
Chicago has the lowest violent crime rate of the cities listed. Louisville is lower, but the crime rates posted are for the consolidated, more metro like jurisdiction.

Other cities with higher rates: Oakland, Kansas City, Cleveland, Indianapolis, DC, Atlanta and Buffalo.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:03 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
I've lived in high crime cities and have not had any problems. Stay away from gang and drug culture, most people are fine.

Due to small jurisdictional boundaries, St Louis is always in the top 10 where as the MSA ranks on the average side.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 10-02-2018 at 09:41 AM..

Old 10-02-2018, 11:59 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,176 times
Lived in Memphis from 1998-2015. Is it as bad as they say? Not unless you are out really late, or in a neighborhood you shouldn't be in. Like most cities, its crime is mostly in certain areas, and anyone who lives there know those areas, and when/how to avoid them. My husband spent the better part of 4 years making deliveries and doing repairs in the worst neighborhoods in the city, and never encountered issues (except for the below). In fact, he said the people in those neighborhoods were usually amazing. This was always during the day though.

That being said, I never witnessed a crime, or had one committed to me in the whole time I was there. My husband got in the middle of a carjacking attempt one time though, but this was in a notoriously bad area of the city after dark, down close to the airport, after he had left work late one night. We spent many nights on Beale Street, South Main, and Midtown without ever feeling unsafe.

So no, I really don't think it is as bad as it seems, at least for the average person who doesn't spend time in bad neighborhoods or around bad people. Most of the crime seems centered around drugs, "beefs", and stupid stuff like that, in the not so great neighborhoods.

I haven't lived there in a few years though, and some of the people I know back there, including my parents, have said it is getting worse (the Memphis Chamber of Commerce President/CEO was shot coming out of a restaurant downtown last week). So who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.