Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 11:17 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Hey bud. You don't have to go all that far. Cross the Potomac!

I grew up in Fairfax County (which I initially had assumed from your user name, you were from) and while I dislike the area for many other reasons, I will give it credit for being a very diverse and racially harmonious place. People live, work and go to school together. There is high degree of racial mixing and no one bats an eye. On any random night out at Fair Oaks Mall, I would say at least 20% of the couples are interracial, and of every possible mixture, including black men and Asian women and no one stares or cares. It's not uncommon to see black kids with dyed hair and nose rings or dressed preppy and exhibiting other "non-stereotypical" characteristics and it's fine. Do they receive comments from other blacks about selling out and such? I can't say for sure but I'd doubt it just based on the fact that blacks as a whole here are very integrated so you're unlikely to find a large group of black males in a public setting shouting vulgarities at a white guy if they see him walk past with a black girl. I find pretty much all of Northern Virginia to be extremely racially tolerant, integrated, and not so much preoccupied with racial stereotypes. There are Asian hip hop heads, white guys blasting Jay-Z from their car stereos, and black men wearing suits and driving SUVs to their jobs at brokerage firms. It partially goes hand in hand with the area's high income and education levels and you're likely to find similar tolerance in other areas across the country that have similar characteristics (Seattle, San Francisco, Minneapolis, etc.). Cross the river!
To be honest, what you said there has actually been proven true, and is the reason (beside living there at a "more pleasent" part of my childhood) of having my online alias being The Fairfaxian . As for living in the DC area after graduating, my one (and possibly only choice) would be somewhere in NoVA.

The reason why I asked this question (side to being sick and tired of living in supposed blue-state that actually has red-state attitudes towards intelligent blacks) is that my major in Journalism will have me traveling for a while. Also, as for the reason why I'm still in the state I'm in is because I attend UMCP (my current finances won't allow me to afford an immediate out-of-state transfer to a much more racially friendly campus). However, I thank all of you for the suggestions so far about areas where my "personality" would be best accepted. But if anyone knows anywhere else where a college educated, racially liberal black dude (with so-called white interests) could live. I wasn't surprised at cities on the West Coast appearing up, but if anyone could pull up some racially-liberal places to live in the South, (and other suburbs of the Northeast/Midwestern big cities) it would help me determine where to live after I'm done with college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 12:40 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
In South Florida, you can get lots of Hispanic illegal aliens.... easy easy. Just watch it, if you threaten to withdraw your sponsorship for their green card, they will call the cops on you and file for their green card themselves!!

White girls... very few in Florida. Very few. Mostly Mexican girls...
Mexicans? Um, you must be confusing Hollywood FL with Hollywood CA!!!
Here in SOFL we have these people called CUBANS...You know CUBA?
I'm sure you heard of it...?
That island down there not far from Key West where a person named Fidel is not very popular & so the people come here to be free? And there's this policy called wet foot dry foot, (whether you agree with it or not) so the people are not actually "illegal"...

I've lived in SOFL for over 13 years, & I've met people from:
Guatamala, Chile, Peru, Colombia, Venezuela, Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia, Costa Rica, and of course Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic & Cuba & probably other places as well...
I believe I met TWO people who were of Mexican origin. One from The Catskills (not sure if he was born there or Mexico) & one who I think was born in Mexico. Both legal. Both spoke perfect English...

A suggestion for our original poster...
Miami! We accept ALL cultures (and variations of ) down here! (Well, apparently not ALL of us do... Though maybe that's only up in the central part of the state...)

Old 12-15-2006, 02:25 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Mexicans? Um, you must be confusing Hollywood FL with Hollywood CA!!!
Here in SOFL we have these people called CUBANS...You know CUBA?
I'm sure you heard of it...?
That island down there not far from Key West where a person named Fidel is not very popular & so the people come here to be free? And there's this policy called wet foot dry foot, (whether you agree with it or not) so the people are not actually "illegal"...

A suggestion for our original poster...
Miami! We accept ALL cultures (and variations of ) down here! (Well, apparently not ALL of us do... Though maybe that's only up in the central part of the state...)
Glad you said something... I'm not even a Floridian, and I felt like standing up for you all! These days, it seems anyone from a Spanish-speaking country - even if they're American born - is dubbed an "illegal Mexican".

And to the original poster, the San Francisco area would be a good place, if you can handle the cost of living! We're very accepting for the most part, and you don't see as many clear stereotypes & divisions... we also have a relatively small black population, so they sorta blend in with everyone else. Aside from East Oakland, Richmond & the town I live in (I'd tell you the name, but trust me, you don't want to live here!!), you don't see a lot of the "stereotypical black people". I've had many friends who are like you, and have dated a few black men over the years... and honestly, I haven't noticed any major issues with it. I'm not saying racism and judgemental behavior doesn't exist, since it unfortunately exists everywhere, but it's not too bad here. I also think you'd be able to find more intellectual types, especially around the big colleges - San Jose State, Santa Clara U., Stanford, SFSU, UCSF, etc. The only thing we're known for being prejudiced about is politics, since the majority are strongly left-wing... but you mentioned being a moderate-liberal, so it shouldn't be a problem.

P.S. I'm originally from the D.C. area (Rockville, MD), and my dad currently lives in the city... so I have an idea of what you're dealing with!

Old 12-15-2006, 03:08 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
To be honest, what you said there has actually been proven true, and is the reason (beside living there at a "more pleasent" part of my childhood) of having my online alias being The Fairfaxian . As for living in the DC area after graduating, my one (and possibly only choice) would be somewhere in NoVA.

The reason why I asked this question (side to being sick and tired of living in supposed blue-state that actually has red-state attitudes towards intelligent blacks) is that my major in Journalism will have me traveling for a while. Also, as for the reason why I'm still in the state I'm in is because I attend UMCP (my current finances won't allow me to afford an immediate out-of-state transfer to a much more racially friendly campus). However, I thank all of you for the suggestions so far about areas where my "personality" would be best accepted. But if anyone knows anywhere else where a college educated, racially liberal black dude (with so-called white interests) could live. I wasn't surprised at cities on the West Coast appearing up, but if anyone could pull up some racially-liberal places to live in the South, (and other suburbs of the Northeast/Midwestern big cities) it would help me determine where to live after I'm done with college.
Fairfaxian, I've been reading these posts and was waiting to see if you would mention an interest in a southern city. I live in the Charlotte area, and it would be a great choice. Even though it has a great mix of lib/conserv/ind, everyone gets along well. I would consider it "racially liberal". At my church, which would be considred conservative, there are many mixed race families/couples. I just hate all of these labels and requirements ("not black enough, too black, not white enough, too white", or the one 50 Cent said recently about Oprah, "She's gone white"). It's really stupid and only causes friction and separation amoung races . I mean, we're all just people, no matter what our interests are, you know? You shouldn't have a problem here at all. We also have a great economy and it's an affordable place to live as well. Come on down, give us a try! Good luck in your search no matter where you go!!!

Old 12-16-2006, 02:59 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I have to say, I've lived in quite a few multicultural areas (New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta, etc.), and Northern Virginia is without a doubt the most integrated and racially harmonious place I've ever lived. It's something I didn't appreciate or give much thought to when I was younger. I don't mean to present the area as some sort of racial utopia since no such thing exists, but I had so few encounters with racism and racial friction growing up, and ironically, it wasn't until I got to college, the place where most people speak of finally finding acceptance and open minds, that I encountered some of the ugly realities about racial politics in America. Ever since then, from living elsewhere and from exploring the internet, it'd been a bit of a rude awakening to the attitudes that still hold strong with many people in this country. I have friends of all races who I grew up with who have stated something of the same, how they felt no issues, no sort of racism or identity crisis due to their Korean/Salvadoran/Persian/Pakistani/Ethiopian, etc. heritage until they went off to college and the "real world" and were encountered with hostility, overt racism, racial slurs and inter-ethnic discrimination. As I said before, I don't like the DC area, Northern Virginia in particular for many reasons, but I will give it credit where it's due.
Quote:
In the Northeast, the Cambridge/Somerville area outside of Boston is extremely racially diverse and tolerant. Montclair, New Jersey some 15 miles outside of New York is regularly listed as an interracial couple mecca, and it and the areas around it (Maplewood, South Orange, etc.) turn a blind eye to interracial dating, as does much of New Jersey, especially Central and Northern Jersey.

In the South, try the fast growing suburbs of the Raleigh/Durham area. Cary is notable in particular. It has one of the most educated populations in the U.S. I'd stick closer to Raleigh than to Durham (it's got some racial issues). Virginia Beach also has quite a large population of people in mixed race relationships due to the high military population and from my visits down there, it seems to be fairly tolerant of people who sort of steer clear of the norm.

In the Midwest, Minneapolis has always been a draw for interracial couples. Check out the inner suburbs, St. Louis Park in particular, and certain neighborhoods within Minneapolis, near the city's borders (except in the North, which is a "no go" area). Similarly, check out Oak Park/River Forest and Skokie/Evanston in Chicago. Madison, Wisconsin is another city that I've heard good things about.

Generally, I think some area's demographic data such as education level, income level and racial make-up will give you a general idea of how accepted you'll be in those communities. The lower the education level, the lower the income level (although you also may reach a tipping point as far as racial snootiness if you go too far up in either of these two areas) and the more homogeneous the community (whether that be nearly entirely white, entirely black, or entirely Latino), the less acceptance you can expect to find.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,882 times
Default best places for interacial couples to live

I keep reading about all of the people living in DC and the areas around DC
and yes I also agree but it can be very costly. I recommend Hagerstown MD.
your are only a couple of hours away and Bi-Racial children are considered the most beautiful race here. My best friend who happens to be a black woman introduced me to my black husband she herself was not interested in someone like my husband she was to be busy looking for a rich white boy or "the ideal gangsta" my husband and I recently traveled to the south into the state of Ga. and we found it to be very nice and polite but we only seen one other bi-racial couple who were a white man and black woman they being the opposite of us were not the " hello howya doin type" the place I seem to get the most bad looks is Baltimore Md.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:50 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Mr. Fairfaxian this is so ridiculous. Black people are sterotyped all across America so no matter where you go it will always be around.

'I just wanted to know what cities, or areas within a city, would be best for a black person who doesn't resemble the stereotypical "black man" would live after graduating from college'

OMG!!
Go live wherever you damn well please.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:00 AM

40 posts, read 147,185 times
Default Shame on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
Well, theres a difference between a "non-sterotypical black person" and a complete Oreo. Hopefully you arent the latter. Theres nothing wrong with lilking different things or ethnicties but in the case of Oreos they tend to take a negative attitude against thier own race that are unjustified. Im not saying this is you but just be aware of it.

I think if want to specifically be around black people who "dont follow the crowd" so to speak you may want to check out New York, Chicago or of course LA. Any place with a large amount of foreign born blacks mixed with American Blacks would probably do well for you; Minnieapolis or Columbus, Oh also comes to mind.
He probably is fed up with the victocratic culture and blame game. He should be proud to be an oreo, you are human based on your personality, not skin color.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:18 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
This is such an individual thing and every person will have a different experience based on their own character as much as geography.

This might sound like a strange one but the area I moved out of last year- Oxnard/Ventura CA is the most relaxed place I have experienced in regard to race relations. This area is north of LA and it is not a big city of course. It will never show up on any list for this type of thing. But really I have lived from one side of the country to the other and so far this would be top of the list. How is it different?

Very different from the south in that the black population is not super conservative or religious and in the cases where they are-they do not seem preachy at all. Different from the NE in that you do not have the heavy racial polarization and tension. Different from a place like Minneapolis in that whites are not the majority. Latinos are and probably always have been. Different from San Diego and SF in that it is a small area with not so many extremes in the income levels. Lastly different from LA because it's not a huge place with huge populations seperated by freeways and mountains. Of course there are many other differences but these came to mind first.

I lived in Port Hueneme which is the edge of Oxnard. Beautiful beaches and the mountains are here too. Crazy agriculture around-it has somewhat of an urban character with urban problems though. There is a milatary base but it seems to blend in with the rest of the community so well that you hardly notice. Oxnard itself has many lower income people and does not get a good rep but I work with the natives and they are the coolest people ever. These are mostly latino/black (with some asian/whites mixed in) and it is much different from the east coast where people exist more in their own little worlds-especially after college.

I am not a DC area fan in that I would not want to live there myself and I dislike most of the south. So I have my bias. But there were more mixed race people in that town than anywhere I have ever lived. For the size of the area that is saying something. If you like California and don't want or can't afford the big cities-check it out. Ventura is usually more expensive but has different things to offer. Most everyone recommends it over Oxnard but I consider this one big area. If this area is just overall too rinky dink for you- 30 to 40 miles down the road you will find a huge urban area. If the cost of living does not freak you out or you can at least compromise-check it out.

The other best suggestion I have for you is a city in Canada. If you don't mind the cold you may find that it is much more relaxed racially. I don't have an opinion on which city but post this on a Canada board and you will get an interesting perspective-especially from the U.S. transplants.

Last edited by cyntmac; 03-17-2007 at 04:43 PM..

Old 03-19-2007, 10:53 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,987 times
Fairfaxian, I can totally relate to just about everything you said about yourself. I felt totally out of place at times growing up. But I lived in a small town and besides my country accent, I had little else in common with other folks. They saw my being smart as something bad...as we got older though, people started to respect that, but it made it harder for me to find even people in my neighborhood to play with and be friends with.

I was just up in metro DC a few weekends ago and had the pleasure of staying with some college friends in Prince William County. I was pleasantly surprised at how people of all types of races, skin tones, cultures, etc. seemed to intertwine with one another. No one looked at the other in a weird way and everyone enjoyed themselves. Maybe that's part of the reason I have grown to love the Washington, DC, area myself. So I have to echo everything that dullnboring said, although I didn't spend that much time in Fairfax County...

I think other cities have what you're looking for too. I am a native of and currently live in metro Charlotte and it's okay to be the educated type here that you were given a hard time for being earlier in life. I don't think this area is as diverse as some other cities that have had a little bit more time to grow up. Charlotte is just starting to really be recognized and will continue to bring in more and more diverse folks like yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.