Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 01:35 AM

8,758 posts, read 6,686,458 times

Advertisements

Projects have cranes for a period in the middle. I'm sure you're not suggesting that every project has a crane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 03:39 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,204,659 times
That's why crane counts are inaccurate many times on current construction. If number of high-rises to skyscrapers are used. They can be counted the whole period of construction. No one can question showing actual addresses and renderings over just a supposed crane count.

Seattle's--Curbed Seattle link counts cranes.

https://seattle.curbed.com/2018/7/24...-count-report?

From link:
—a semiannual report by Rider Levett Bucknall (RLB) that literally just counts construction cranes currently erected in the city of Seattle.

List Chicago's at 40 in the link. NYC's at 20 sounds ridicules.

Curbed Chicago's high-rise and higher buildings in a count under construction I previously posted .... it counts 49 high-rises and gives renderings of them under construction.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:09 AM

They're a national company, but yes they don't seem to count everything. NY and Miami appear to be the biggest problems.

Cranes aren't just for highrises BTW. Seattle's 65 tower cranes were maybe half highrises.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:46 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,915,379 times
Is that crane count for the metro or the city limits? If city limits, Seattle is beyond impressive.

For LA I counted 16 cranes between Pico and Culver City on the Expo line. 13 of the 16 were in the City of LA with 3 in Culver City. I’d be surprised if that’s half the cranes in the metro.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:11 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,341,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Traditionally, people in the district don’t consider areas like Capitol Hill and DuPont Circle to be a part of downtown. A lot of what you’re seeing is C-D boosterism. (For the record, I’d include CH in a greater downtown, but not DuPont).
It’s not boosterism.

It’s what any normal person would consider a downtown....

“Downtown” Minneapolis;

I think the biggest problem, more than boosterism, people just don’t know the areas they are talking about. It’s one thing to read statistics on the internet. It’s easy to read Jacksonville is a bigger city than Atlanta. Which, technically it is... the interwebz sez so! But for those who actually know the cities. It’s clear which is bigger.

This is one of those situations. People reading things on the interwebz and jumping to conclusions instead of simple common sense. I’ve actually never been to a downtown area that was strictly I guess highrise office towers. All have had even single family homes as far as I know. Maybe excluding NYC.

Locals in Charlotte call their downtown “uptown.” They even correct people to call it “uptown.” Call it what you want., it’s still the downtown. Split into 4 wards and “Gateway village.” Every downtown has their own Navy Yard or innovation district or gateway village and distinct areas in downtown.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:21 PM

People like to latch onto definitions then defend them with their lives. This is common when they don't really understand how things work, or their brains have trouble grasping nuance.

What's "downtown" is subjective.

And anyone who's been on CD for a while should know why a parallel comparison generally starts with some larger definition of "the city" than what the central administrative district covers.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:26 PM

118 posts, read 112,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
People like to latch onto definitions then defend them with their lives. This is common when they don't really understand how things work, or their brains have trouble grasping nuance.

And anyone who's been on CD for a while should know why a parallel comparison generally starts with some larger definition of "the city" than what the central administrative district covers.
And anyone who's been on CD for a while knows that that "start" is immediately followed by a raging debate on why that definition is wrong...and then we never actually address the original question! It is what it is...

Old 10-14-2018, 07:38 PM

27,893 posts, read 29,699,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
There are smaller towns and cities that fulfill the stated criteria as well.
There absolutely are. Even Salt Lake City fits every one of those criteria, despite the fact that it's much smaller than the five cities listed in the OP.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:43 PM

1,094 posts, read 792,165 times
Being from NYC when I think of Downtown I think of the more upscale part of town. A place where you can shop, raise a family, work and play. I see that's not the case with every city. LA is one of those examples that just because you're city is nice and touristy don't mean the downtown is all the great.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:14 PM

840 posts, read 728,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Being from NYC when I think of Downtown I think of the more upscale part of town. A place where you can shop, raise a family, work and play. I see that's not the case with every city. LA is one of those examples that just because you're city is nice and touristy don't mean the downtown is all the great.
There is a whole thread in the Urban Planning forum that discusses how downtowns are defined.

Downtowns: How Do You Define It
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.