Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 04:36 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times

Advertisements

All too often, Cincinnati gets trashed through a number of shibboleths. Here they are, in no particular order:

(a) backwater swamp, steamboat river town
(b) a violent city, a racial war zone
(c) provincial population, locked in yesteryear time warp
(d) conservative right-wing fortress, major KKK redoubt
(e) hill people breeding ground, little Appalachia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 10:02 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
Midwest/rust belt cities probably get a disproportionate amount of trash talk because their decline was so catastrophic (compared to east and west coast cities), and those cities never reinvented themselves. Not really. A lot of Midwesterners never got to see their hometowns in their heyday but rather grew up during a rapid decline, experienced local and national scorn, listened to booster clichés about theater districts, low cost of living, salt of the earth people, great restaurants, etc, and, frankly, read about farcical recoveries based on nonsense metrics. Sure we've heard about the historic millionaires rows, the conventions, "world class" museums, Eurocentric ethnic families, excellent schools, and the working and middle class neighborhoods all over, but those have been mostly dead for decades. There is a lot of pent up rage against the Midwest/rust belt that just doesn't exist on the same level for coast.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:07 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I've NEVER, EVER had a street person shake their fist or yell at me. I walk in Downtown Seattle at least 750 times per year, and have for decades.
Are you an slower moving elderly woman with grey hair? From what the cops tell me we are prime targets. This was Portland so aside from what my friends tell me about their encounters in Seattle I cannot speak for anyone else's.I

So to answer the question of the other poster, some of us would call these encounters dangerous. It was not always that way though.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:24 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
It all depends on a city's unique selling proposition. If you have one, you can overcome a lot of blemishes, and people will generally look past all the usual negatives of big cities. People look beyond the homelessness crisis in L.A. and the Bay Area..because people have all these other positive associations with these areas in their heads. It's like how people think Rio de Janeiro and think "Carnival" and go there to visit even if a large % of the population lives in dire Third World conditions and their slums are difficult to ignore in a view of the city.

It's more difficult for cities that simply exist but offer little reason for outsiders to have any particular opinion of it i.e. your typical city centered around industry, commerce or administration that is not in a particularly remarkable geographic setting and does not feature any interesting landmarks or sights.

If you're such a city and you're a good place to live, you may get a solid but unexciting reputation as a decent city, which will attract new residents and so forth even if you stay 'below the radar' mostly. But if you're such a city and your economy has tanked..well the only reason anyone will ever mention you is to talk about how bad the city has become. And if you then have the 'fortune' of being a big enough city to be nationally 'famous'..you become a punching bag and negative example like Detroit or Baltimore.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:12 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Since it's the most segrated city, that would make a little difference.
Most cities in the country are segregated to some degree, Milwaukee is just the worst, so it's really no different than any other city. I agree crime is mostly criminal on criminal. You can be Black, and live in some of these neighborhoods, and if you're not a criminal your chance of being involved in a crime is the same as anyone else's.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:04 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Most cities in the country are segregated to some degree, Milwaukee is just the worst, so it's really no different than any other city. I agree crime is mostly criminal on criminal. You can be Black, and live in some of these neighborhoods, and if you're not a criminal your chance of being involved in a crime is the same as anyone else's.

No, it's not. Proximity matters. Big difference whether those shootings, stabbings, robberies etc. happen on the other side of the metro area or down the street or even right below your window.

Plenty of innocent people in those neighborhoods get caught up in the criminal activities of their neighbors. If you have to walk past hoods every time you go to the store or come home from work, your chance of being a victim increases, either as 'collateral damage' or as a convenient victim for a mugging or someone who 'disrespected' them in some unforeseeable way.

It also increases the chance that people who are involved in crime are your friends, relatives or acquaintances from school or work. That also makes you more vulnerable to either be asked to participate in criminal activities yourself or be victimized as an 'associate' of a criminal whose rivals may target you to get at that individual.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:12 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Most of the discussion here is totally subjective (city vs city discussion) but at the end of the day, we have to ask ourselves a simple question:

Are some cities just plain better than others?

Old 10-23-2018, 06:02 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Most of the discussion here is totally subjective (city vs city discussion) but at the end of the day, we have to ask ourselves a simple question:

Are some cities just plain better than others?
It's bound to be subjective because most comments are based on the experience of the posters. The only wrong answers would be those sometimes given by those on CD who have never set foot in the city. Their opinions, which they freely give, are based on hearsay and their sources are usually derived from the Media.

Are some cities better than others? That's going to be based on very subjective opinion too. "Better" would have to be defined by a lot of criteria.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:43 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Are you an slower moving elderly woman with grey hair? From what the cops tell me we are prime targets. This was Portland so aside from what my friends tell me about their encounters in Seattle I cannot speak for anyone else's.I

So to answer the question of the other poster, some of us would call these encounters dangerous. It was not always that way though.
We know you hate Portland and love Cleveland. Are you exaggerating a bit here?

Old 10-23-2018, 07:05 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Midwest/rust belt cities probably get a disproportionate amount of trash talk because their decline was so catastrophic (compared to east and west coast cities), and those cities never reinvented themselves. Not really. A lot of Midwesterners never got to see their hometowns in their heyday but rather grew up during a rapid decline, experienced local and national scorn, listened to booster clichés about theater districts, low cost of living, salt of the earth people, great restaurants, etc, and, frankly, read about farcical recoveries based on nonsense metrics. Sure we've heard about the historic millionaires rows, the conventions, "world class" museums, Eurocentric ethnic families, excellent schools, and the working and middle class neighborhoods all over, but those have been mostly dead for decades. There is a lot of pent up rage against the Midwest/rust belt that just doesn't exist on the same level for coast.
You, here, are guilty of a disproportionate amount of trash talk here, yourself. I lived in Milwaukee, and that city, while not as big as it once was, is still a beautiful, viable city. There are still millionaires there, and a world class museum, lots of ethnicities, along with very wealthy and middle class areas. SO, you really don't know as much as you think you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.