Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 01:47 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I would love to do an experiment and put 13 people in a room, 1 person each from say, Seattle, San Diego, Boise, Denver, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, DC, Syracuse, Toronto, Regina and Vancouver, and have each person read out loud a paragraph in a book in front of 100 people and have each one guess which 3 are the Canadians based on their accent. I would bet my next social security check that no more than 10 out of those 100 people would be able to corectly guess which 3 are from Canada.
That would be interesting, but to make it fair, two paragraphs have to be read out. One written by an American, the other Canadian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 01:55 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,218 times
I work at an international school in Colombia...of the 70 or so teachers, about 12 are recruited from North America. We always have a few Canadians but it´s mostly Americans.

The parents (many of whom don´t speak any English) seem to have developed a system to ¨distinguish¨ who is American and who is Canadian. If teachers speak decent Spanish, tell you good morning and hello and are generally helpful and pleasant, they must be Canadian. If they don´t do any of this, they must be American.

I always make the effort, so everyone thinks I am from Canada. It´s pretty sobering to think that this is what the reputation of Americans has come to here, but I guess some of them ¨earned¨ it for the rest of us.

Last edited by aab7855; 11-04-2018 at 02:08 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 02:19 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrTCDi3xbTw

Old 11-04-2018, 09:54 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Fascinating, Natnasci! Thanks for posting.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:09 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
There's a certain announcer on local radio whom I am convinced is Canadian because every so often he says "about," and it's just ever so slightly different from the way an American would say it.
Let me guess: KNX 1070 Newsradio in Los Angeles and his name is Chris Sedens. He is the voice for evenings and weekends on KNX.

I keep the car radio tuned for the traffic reports whenever I visit L.A. and listen to the internet stream occasionally to keep up with L.A., California, and mostly for National/World news when I'm back home due to the lack of a newsradio station here. I also listen to WBBM in Chicago and KCBS in S.F., but KNX is my favorite.

Yes he is Canadian. Before coming to the States for KNX, he was a nationally-famous announcer/commentator for TSN (ESPN in Canada).

When the Cuba travel ban was curtailed by Obama during the waning days of his administration, he was guest hosting for that day on the KNX Business Hour at Noon PT and hinted about his (Canadian) relative's visits to Cuba. If you didn't know about his background, that tidbit would not make much sense!

Old 11-04-2018, 10:19 PM

587 posts, read 423,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
DIFFERENT from American accents indeed!

Old 11-05-2018, 08:19 AM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Let me guess: KNX 1070 Newsradio in Los Angeles and his name is Chris Sedens. He is the voice for evenings and weekends on KNX.

I keep the car radio tuned for the traffic reports whenever I visit L.A. and listen to the internet stream occasionally to keep up with L.A., California, and mostly for National/World news when I'm back home due to the lack of a newsradio station here. I also listen to WBBM in Chicago and KCBS in S.F., but KNX is my favorite.

Yes he is Canadian. Before coming to the States for KNX, he was a nationally-famous announcer/commentator for TSN (ESPN in Canada).

When the Cuba travel ban was curtailed by Obama during the waning days of his administration, he was guest hosting for that day on the KNX Business Hour at Noon PT and hinted about his (Canadian) relative's visits to Cuba. If you didn't know about his background, that tidbit would not make much sense!
Yes, that is him!! Great guess on your part; I live in SoCal and listen to KNX every day while driving. Thank you so much for the info and for confirming my assumption that he is Canadian.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:05 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Just today I was looking for YouTube videos on how to kill earwigs. I found one by a buy in Canada, and I thought of this thread. He was so obviously Canadian. The way he kept referring to the earwigs he caught as "fellas," even. "Let's see how many of these fellas I got..."

There really isn't even one spoken sentence that a Canadian utters, that isn't obviously different from an American.

And even if an American is from Austin, TX, as a previous poster who claims not to be able to tell the difference -- I just don't see how someone can claim that.

Even in Austin, TX, which I also know well - if someone from Austin made a video about earwigs in the garden, they wouldn't say, "Oh, lets see how many of these fellas I caught today, eh?"

You'd have to be completely dense not to notice that these people were not only not from TX, but that they also didn't fit any norm from any US television show you'd ever seen --- unless you weren't originally from the US.
Same, I can understand around the northern midwest, but anywhere on the coasts or down south I find it hard to believe that people can't recognize Canadians it's just so blatantly obvious to me. Some don't really listen well though. Americans speak differently all over the country so how would Canadians really sound american at best they would pick a particular american accent.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:09 AM

1,351 posts, read 896,111 times
Any word with "ar" as the main vowel gives a Canadian away. Car, park, yard, barb, etc. At least someone from eastern Canada. I have family from Saskatchewan and Manitoba that don't pronounce quite as sharply. But they have a distinct accent nonetheless, with more emphasis on words like "about" or "roof" that give them away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKiM_JFPfAw

I realize it's a fictional show, but pretty much everyone from Ontario east (who speaks English first) says "ar" words just like in this clip.

Last edited by IowanFarmer; 03-01-2019 at 06:53 AM..

Old 03-01-2019, 06:23 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
In the English-speaking provinces of Canada, "Wisconsinese" is about as close as you can come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.