Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 105 44.49%
Canada 107 45.34%
It's a tie 24 10.17%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:15 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,416,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcxyz423 View Post
Well, first of all, you're from San Diego so you don't count. San Diego is incredibly mild and weather is relative.

You hit it on the nail. Many Americans (and Canadians) have enjoyed rounds of golf in Victoria, Canada in winter. That all depends on where they're from. It's all relative AND you're from San Diego. The FACTremains that people from the Midwest (and especially the Upper Midwest!) would be golfing in Victoria in summer clothing this time of year. They'd LOVE it! San Diego visitors to Victoria - not so much.

By the way, people from the Southern California area think Dallas winters are very cold whereas Dallas is generally considered to have very mild winters by most people nationwide. Someone from Hawaii or the Caribbean Islands would be in shock (from the cold) getting off the plane this time of year in San Diego. So again - it's all relative.

Second - Victoria is a little bit milder (overall winter) than Seattle - albeit not all that much.

Third - Victoria is far less dreary/rainy and quite a bit sunnier than Seattle during the winter. It's located in what's called a 'rain-shadow'. So, I promise you, its winters are the most pleasant in all of the Pacific Northwest. I agree it's still fundamentally Pacific Northwest - but it's the region's best winter-time representative, that's for sure!
So I can’t have opinion now on playing golf in 45F/7C weather because I’m from San Diego?

I would hardly call it a fact that people from the Midwest would be wearing shorts and shortsleeved shirts playing golf in that weather either. I’ve played in both the Pacific Northwest and Midwest with those temps and besides the random kook everybody is dressed appropriately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 06:30 PM

67,655 posts, read 60,273,788 times
Quote:
If you look under "Metroplex Cities and Towns", you'll see that Alvord is in the DFW Metroplex. You were assuming all along without really knowing the facts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas...orth_metroplex
LOL it's over 70 miles from Dallas. It's not a "suburb of Dallas." Which is what you said.

If it's a "suburb of Dallas" then I live in a "suburb of Dallas" too since I'm the same distance away, just in a different direction (east).

I just read your other posts, so I won't be responding further. This will have to do.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:58 PM

118 posts, read 95,140 times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL it's over 70 miles from Dallas. It's not a "suburb of Dallas." Which is what you said.

If it's a "suburb of Dallas" then I live in a "suburb of Dallas" too since I'm the same distance away, just in a different direction (east).

I just read your other posts, so I won't be responding further. This will have to do.
No prob. Thanks for the argument/conversation anyway!

Old 02-22-2019, 09:40 PM

118 posts, read 95,140 times
Default Pnw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
So I can’t have opinion now on playing golf in 45F/7C weather because I’m from San Diego?

I would hardly call it a fact that people from the Midwest would be wearing shorts and shortsleeved shirts playing golf in that weather either. I’ve played in both the Pacific Northwest and Midwest with those temps and besides the random kook everybody is dressed appropriately.
Pacific Northwest Rules!!!

Old 02-25-2019, 06:57 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,862,941 times
Overall Canada has a higher QOL. Universal healthcare means that nobody goes uninsured, wages are higher, and in all the places I've traveled & stayed in the country there seems to be less of the 'live to work' mentality. Larger cities and even smaller cities are very diverse and there is generally a 'live and let live' attitude. I also find many of the climates of the Eastern Provinces to be appealing with cooler summers, snowy winters and 4 defined seasons.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:49 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,431,530 times
My wife and I have in-laws in Canada (Ontario and Nova Scotia). It's a nice country in many ways, but, trust me, it's not the paradise many of you think it is. The "free" healthcare (so funny) is not "free". Far from it. There are such long waits for care on many ailments and conditions that many have to cross the border (gasp) to the U.S. to get quality care in a timely manner (my wife works in healthcare and experiences this first hand). The COL and tax burden in higher in Canada. Purchasing Power is much better in America. A much broader variety of metros/small towns/retirement area are in America. Broader variety of climates are in America. More politically moderate in America. This is the typical American Grass-Is-Greener Syndrome; emotionally reacting to the dog whistle of "free stuff" without thinking and doing objective research. From my family's and my first hand experience, America definitely has the higher quality of life.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:53 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,416,556 times
Quote:
Pacific Northwest Rules!!!
Nice retort. How old are you, 13? Too bad that’s the best weather you’ll find in your country during winter.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:25 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,475,673 times
I chose Canada in the poll primarily because of the sparce population density, the spectacular scenery, and the ‘feeling’ (which is probably just perspective) of freedom, as in it’s less like a police state than the States is.

That said, I’ve lived and worked in the U.S. extensively, and many of my fondest memories were made there, in particular in Aspen and in Maui.

I was born and raised in Scotland though, and it wouldn’t occur to me to identify myself as anything other than Scots, and it’s still the ‘best place’ in the world in my heart. (I’m speaking of the Highlands, not the cities.)

By the time I was 50 I had lived in 64 places (I stopped counting after that), so I dare say I’ve seen a little bit of (almost) everywhere, but it seems that *home* is always the ‘best place’ to be for most of us. All people are fundamentally the same and the sense of belonging is a strong one, so the ‘best place’ to be is dictated by the heart in my observation.

We live on an astoundingly beautiful planet, and I could live happily almost anywhere as long as Brian (DH) was with me. Realistically, he’s ‘home’ to me.

Love and All Good Things,

Mahrie.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:38 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I hope you’re joking....cuz if you’re not ....then you need to visit Toronto...asap!

It’ll make you head spin....and if you end up in the ICU, you’ll experience
some that great and much lower costing, Canadian health care...

Diversity baby, ....and we’re not talking just AA’s and hispanics and a bunch of random
generic american whites that have been in the USA for generations...that ain’t really diversity in my book.
That you wait a very long time for.

Been to Toronto. It's eh .. but my comment to the other poster was more of a general comment, not that Canada isn't diverse … but if I had to live in a non-diverse place, I would hate it.

Montreal is cool though, had a good time there. Didn't care much for Toronto.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:08 PM

8,765 posts, read 6,691,155 times
That's BS according to my relatives in Canada. Most things have no wait. It's a common theme the US industry likes to push of course...gotta keep the cash cow going of course.

On the backs of everyone else of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.