Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2018, 03:10 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I guess pricing out the underprivileged is one way to guarantee a "positive future." Imagine how wealthy we would be as a nation if we exiled the poor and unemployed.
It's sad that that's what Illinois has come down to. I don't agree with it. But if there's anything positive you can take away from Illinois' population decline, it's potentially that. I'd obviously rather see the actual problems being addressed before people have to move, but the state doesn't seem to be doing that for one reason or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 07:16 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
It's sad that that's what Illinois has come down to. I don't agree with it. But if there's anything positive you can take away from Illinois' population decline, it's potentially that. I'd obviously rather see the actual problems being addressed before people have to move, but the state doesn't seem to be doing that for one reason or another.
It doesn't look like the poorest are the ones moving out though. It's the middle class that's moving out of Illinois since they also have the money too.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:08 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,861,649 times
Too many people moving to Florida!!!!!

Old 12-21-2018, 07:11 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,971,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
City proper population is the measurement of a city. Chicago's city is 2.7 million not 9.5 mil.
You also have cities like Jacksonville and Indianapolis. Do you really think they are larger and more populous places than Washington DC, Seattle, Boston, and Denver?

Indy and Jacksonville are around 850k city pop, the rest of the cities are 700k or lower.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:39 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
City population is important, as it determines what city government needs to do to support the population within their boundaries.

MSA population is less important, though offers a good overall view of the metropolitan area, but can, and often, include other smaller cities.

Jacksonville and Indianapolis are somewhat anomalies as they have either started from, or annexed the surrounding areas. It goes without saying why these cities have large populations, city-wise. Can anyone mention any large suburbs of Jacksonville or Indy?

Last edited by pnwguy2; 12-22-2018 at 12:50 AM..

Old 12-22-2018, 07:04 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,059,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
City population is important, as it determines what city government needs to do to support the population within their boundaries.

MSA population is less important, though offers a good overall view of the metropolitan area, but can, and often, include other smaller cities.

Jacksonville and Indianapolis are somewhat anomalies as they have either started from, or annexed the surrounding areas. It goes without saying why these cities have large populations, city-wise. Can anyone mention any large suburbs of Jacksonville or Indy?
City population is worthless as anything other than a defining boundary of where a governments influence starts and ends. If you need to know where civic boundaries start and end then sure, city pop. could help. Using city population as a comparison metric to another city will tell you nothing.

Jacksonville and San Francisco have virtually identical city populations. San Francisco has the amenities, shopping, air travel, sporting options ect. available to it that a 6-8 million person MSA does. Whereas Jacksonville is more comparable to Buffalo. MSA is by far the most consistent metric to determine what a city will offer within it's sphere of influence. It is also used by the OMB to assist in allocating regional funding. Because MSA may sometimes contain smaller satellites within it's orbit is inconsequential. Suburbs are not cities, they are governmental parasites that do not exist without the host.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:30 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,392,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Right, this is not a difficult concept. No one thinks Baltimore and DC are the same city, well, because they aren't. If I ask how big Baltimore is and one includes DC, that doesn't answer my question and distorts the truth.
I don’t think it does.

Look at Raleigh-Durham or Dallas-Fort Worth.

According to Apple maps, the driving distance between the cities:

Raleigh to Durham - 25 Miles
Dallas to Fort Worth - 33 Miles
Washington to Baltimore - 39 miles

Raleigh has a CSA of 2.2 million
Washington has a CSA of 9.7 million

With that many more people, there’s going to be a lot more continuity. It just so happens Baltimore can stand on its own and has a strong image (for better or worse). Durham nor Fort Worth nor St. Paul could stand on their own. People hear those cities and think “isn’t that’s the name of Dallas’s airport?” Also, MARC keeps the two cities fairly connected and especially the region. Plenty of people live in say Laurel and Columbia and commute between both metros and go to both equally.

I work in Tyson’s Corner and on my team, 2 people of like 14 live east of Annapolis, MD. It’s a very interconnected region particularly so because Washington is such an important employment hub (not that Baltimore isn’t but DC is a fairly important area.)

Baltimore is just an important midsized city as opposed to a Fort Worth type of place. So it has an independent identity. I don’t think it’s misleading to conflate the two.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:45 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Suburbs are not cities, they are governmental parasites that do not exist without the host.
That's far from being true across the board. Many suburbs are actual cities that just so happened to be located in close proximity to a larger, faster-growing city and got swallowed up in the larger metropolitan area.

Your statement is more applicable to postwar suburban bedroom communities.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:29 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,059,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's far from being true across the board. Many suburbs are actual cities that just so happened to be located in close proximity to a larger, faster-growing city and got swallowed up in the larger metropolitan area.

Your statement is more applicable to postwar suburban bedroom communities.
Well I think there’s a difference between a post war bedroom suburb, a street car suburb, and a satellite city that’s been engulfed by a larger cities metro orbit. The larger point is still the same, city population is a worthless statistic for anything other than governing boundaries.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:44 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Well I think there’s a difference between a post war bedroom suburb, a street car suburb, and a satellite city that’s been engulfed by a larger cities metro orbit. The larger point is still the same, city population is a worthless statistic for anything other than governing boundaries.
I am in complete agreement with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.