Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 11:17 AM

6,323 posts, read 4,850,896 times

Advertisements

Not just 5 areas with their own generally recognizable demographics, density levels, architecture, etc., but specifically how would you analogize different areas of your city to the NYC boroughs, if you had to?

For Reno, NV, I'd say:
Manhattan: downtown/east of downtown
Brooklyn: Midtown
Bronx: north/west periphery of downtown, maybe west to Keystone and north to I-80
Queens: south Reno, maybe down to Moana Ln. and especially east of Virginia
Staten Island: North Valleys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 11:42 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,468,851 times
Manhattan- Center City & University City
Brooklyn- Combine NoLibs, Graduate Hospital, Queen Village, Fishtown, Brewerytown, Manayunk and a few others
Queens- Combine Passyunk Square, Italian Market, Newbold, Port Richmond, Oxford Circle, and a few others
Bronx- Southwest Philly, Nicetown, Strawberry Mansion, Gray's Ferry, farther West Philly, and other bad parts of North Philly
Staten Island- Far Northeast Philly, Girard Estates, and other suburban-ish areas full of the few Trumpies and Republicans left

Old 11-02-2018, 12:00 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,668,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Manhattan- Center City & University City
Brooklyn- Combine NoLibs, Graduate Hospital, Queen Village, Fishtown, Brewerytown, Manayunk and a few others
Queens- Combine Passyunk Square, Italian Market, Newbold, Port Richmond, Oxford Circle, and a few others
Bronx- Southwest Philly, Nicetown, Strawberry Mansion, Gray's Ferry, farther West Philly, and other bad parts of North Philly
Staten Island- Far Northeast Philly, Girard Estates, and other suburban-ish areas full of the few Trumpies and Republicans left
Brewerytown does not belong in "Brooklyn" and "farther West Philly"( which includes Overbrook Farms and Wynnefield) does not belong in the " Bronx". Everything else I agree with.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:02 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,883,670 times
Interesting idea.

Pittsburgh

Manhattan: Golden Triangle
Brooklyn: East End
Queens: North Side
Bronx: West End
Staten Island: South Hills

Old 11-02-2018, 12:08 PM

10,948 posts, read 6,991,865 times
No boroughs and no townships where I live.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:11 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,738,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Interesting idea.

Pittsburgh

Manhattan: Golden Triangle
Brooklyn: East End
Bronx: West End
Staten Island: South Hills
I'd change that a little..

Pittsburgh

Manhattan: Golden Triangle + Strip District
Brooklyn: Lawrenceville + Oakland + East End
Bronx: Uptown + South Side
Staten Island: West End

Old 11-02-2018, 12:33 PM

840 posts, read 728,090 times
You do realise that even Manhattan is quite diverse. Midtown is very different to Greenwich Village and SoHo, for example.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:04 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,468,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Brewerytown does not belong in "Brooklyn" and "farther West Philly"( which includes Overbrook Farms and Wynnefield) does not belong in the " Bronx". Everything else I agree with.
I'm curious where you would put Brewerytown then? Also, you are right in the fact that further West Philly does not ALL belong in the Bronx. I was more thinking of the rougher parts past University City and above Baltimore Ave. Will Smith's West Philly if you will.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:13 PM

6,778 posts, read 5,915,089 times
Here goes nothing:

Manhattan: Fenway, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, the West End, the North End, the Financial District, Downtown Crossing, Chinatown, the Theater District, Bay Village, and the South End.

Brooklyn: Allston, Cambridge, and Somerville.

Bronx: South Boston, Dorchester, Roxbury, and Mattapan.

Queens: East Boston, Chelsea, Everett, and Revere.

Staten Island: Jamaica Plain, Roslindale, Hyde Park, and West Roxbury.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:15 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,856,249 times
For Los Angeles I would do:

Manhattan as Downtown Central LA to West LA minius the Hollywood hills (Santa Monica Mountains)
Brooklyn as San Fernando Valley plus Hollywood hills.
Queens as San Gabriel Valley since it's similar in size and population to The SFV.
Bronx as South LA
Staten Island as South Bay

All in all this area is close to NYC in population 7-8 million people I added the SGV, and the south bay as it wouldn't really make sense to cut any of the other places in half.

Last edited by sean1the1; 11-02-2018 at 01:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.