Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 09:47 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Good Grief! You posted that right under Kathryn's post which gave a list, taken from an actual study! No, it appears not to be true for those two states.
Not necessarily. Notice the study did not specify foreign or domestic travel.

Alaskans and Hawaiians may very well travel to Asia all the time but seldom to anywhere else in the U.S. except the West Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 06:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

Alaskans and Hawaiians may very well travel to Asia all the time but seldom to anywhere else in the U.S. except the West Coast.
At least I posted an actual source that appears to be objective and is as close to the question of the OP that I could find. But what's the fun in that? Speculation and throwing shade at entire regions is a lot more entertaining!

Old 11-05-2018, 08:01 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
..I imagine for geographically large states, there would be more people who have never traveled to other U.S. regions the most. California, Texas, Florida, ...etc.
I disagree with that assumption. In fact, people in those larger states tend to explore more, as their own states have much variety, which is inviting. Plus, warmer and coastal states tend to encourage more people to spend time outdoors, and appreciate exploring.

From what I've seen, it's the northern states, and those in isolated communities (small towns across the map) who are most unfamiliar with other areas and other states. Personally I've seen people in the middle of the country (NE, IA, eastern CO) who have never ventured outside their towns and areas.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:22 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've got good news - I found a site that lists the states most and least interested in traveling, per capita!

The states with the most residents per capita interested in travel are:

1. DC (I know, not really a state)
2. Hawaii
3. Arizona
4. Nevada
5. Wyoming
6. California
7. Utah
8. Alaska
9. Kentucky
10.Colorado

The states least interested in travel per capita are:
51. Maine
50. Oklahoma
49. Vermont
48. West Virginia
47. New Hampshire
46. Rhode Island
45. Michigan
44. Kansas
43. Iowa
42. Arkansas

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...ourism-2014-10

Honestly, the top 25 states most interested in travel per capita are from every region and pretty evenly distributed.
Is there a study of which state's residents actually do travel the most and are not just merely interested in it?

My husband would tell you I'm much more interested in travelling than he is partly because he travels so much for work. He isn't as interested in getting in the car on the weekend when he just stepped off the plane and hasn't slept in his own bed in a week.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Is there a study of which state's residents actually do travel the most and are not just merely interested in it?

My husband would tell you I'm much more interested in travelling than he is partly because he travels so much for work. He isn't as interested in getting in the car on the weekend when he just stepped off the plane and hasn't slept in his own bed in a week.
I couldn't find one, but knock yourself out.

This was as close as I could get to the OP's question but it beats the heck out of pure speculation.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:

Fairbanks, AK to Tokyo: 3511 mi. Flights about $800 and up.
Fairbanks, AK to Chicago: 3452 mi. Flights from $460
Even to NYC, it's 4256 mi, but $492 and up for flights.

Honolulu to Tokyo: 3854 mi, flights from $397
Honlulu to Chicago: 4246 mi, flights from $553
Honlulu to NYC: 4957 mi, flights from $453

I wouldn't be traveling anywhere "all the time" at $800/ticket. The flights from Honolulu are similarly priced no matter where one is going. Presumably these people have family in the US to visit.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:01 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post

Read the study. Interested probably isn’t the best term as it seems to be misleading to those who didn’t read the article. I know it was for me until I read it. They went off of 87,000 hotel bookings from a major travel site. Not only did they see where the bookings were made, but who made them.

This also throws out the notion that Hawaii is only up there because they’re traveling to Asia. I’ve been to Hawaii countless times and I’m always meeting native Hawaiians that have lived or visited family in San Diego and Southern California. This also doesn’t include all the transplants living there. Las Vegas is known as the 9th island too. They do travel off the rock frequently, as this study shows.

I agree this is far from perfect, but it’s better than speculation and anecdotal evidence from talking to a couple of people.

A quote from the article.

“The site also logged which destinations people from each state are interested in visiting most. New Yorkers book the most hotel rooms in Florida, Texans like to travel to California...”

Old 11-05-2018, 09:29 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Having lived in the western US most of my life (Colorado/Arizona), I've never stepped foot in Georgia, Carolinas, Louisiana, some of the Northeast such as Vermont, New York, Rhode Island, Delaware and North Dakota. I have no interest in those parts of the US, the people or the culture.

Don't you agree the US should just break apart then? I mean if you have zero interest in fellow countrymen why do we bother?

I've always been for breaking the US apart. I have no interest in southern culture or your arizona culture for that matter. I'm much more in line with NE US, Canada, Australia and Great Britain as far as culture and role of govt. I hate the current set up we have and want to be in a smaller more unified liberal nation without the west or south.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:41 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Wouldn't people in Alaska and Hawaii travel less to other states?

The sheer distance, requirement to cross through another country or lengthy air travel would be certainly be a deterrent to visiting other states.

That's not to say that people in those two states aren't well traveled, but they may not necessarily have ties to the rest of the continental US (i.e. Hawaiians having ties to Asia).
I feel they would travel the most from those two states there's really only too much that one can stay in these states. Alaska Airlines lol

Old 11-05-2018, 09:45 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I couldn't find one, but knock yourself out.

This was as close as I could get to the OP's question but it beats the heck out of pure speculation.
It does you tried. It seems it will never be accepted until one's own suspicions for writing this post are "proven" by the results a losing battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.