Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 11:10 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I say Raleigh/Durham, NC. One of the best metros in the nation for IT and healthcare, especially for its size. Cost of living is reasonable.
I know nothing about it, but my data pull said about the same thing.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:34 AM

514 posts, read 438,516 times
If you don't mind me asking..do you use some online tool or is there something on the CD website that helps with this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
I know nothing about it, but my data pull said about the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 09:05 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
If you don't mind me asking..do you use some online tool or is there something on the CD website that helps with this?
https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...es/index.xhtml

Old 11-14-2018, 09:17 AM

1,078 posts, read 938,011 times
Think outside the box - for healthcare, metros like Cincinnati, Columbus, St Louis, and even the Twin Cities are great options with good cost of living, and all would have IT work available if you couldn’t continue to work remotely. One doesn’t really need to be in a hub, per se, especially since there is a move to decentralize tech a bit to where there is more space and lower costs.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:20 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
There's no free ride apparently. Is there a way to search places to live based on cost of living and other factors? How can I learn about various regions in US? So there's East Coast, West Coast, South, Mid West? Which is the overall best place/region to move to for long term?

How should I use this forum effectively to narrow down the choices?
Don't get wrapped up in the income tax vs. no income tax aspect. Tax Burden is is a better statistic.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 11-14-2018 at 09:28 AM..

Old 11-14-2018, 11:25 AM

227 posts, read 198,258 times
We were in a similar situation with the wife in medical and me in remote IT. Coming from the Bay Area we wanted to buy a house in a nice neighborhood and save money for early retirement. Wasn't possible out there. We've also lived in Chicago, Minneapolis, Madison, WI. Ultimately, we chose Shaker Heights in Cleveland. We bought an amazing house in an amazing neighborhood nearly outright, have an RTA station two blocks from us, we're ten minutes to all the cultural institutions at University Circle and some wonderful food in Little Italy, nearby great shopping, and the wife get's to work at the Cleveland Clinic - which she loves!

Minneapolis, Philly, Baltimore, Houston... are also good choices (each with their own respective pros/cons). Actually, we're planning on visiting Raleigh this winter because we've heard so much good about it.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:09 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,278 times
OP just forget about CA. I am in the tech field as well (work from home) and my girlfriend is a nurse. We are choosing to move to either Raleigh or Charlotte down in NC. Much better winters than where we are from in NY. The economies of Raleigh and Charlotte are booming compared to upstate NY. Lots of northeastern transplants to NC as well which is nice I suppose.

Newer housing stock in Charlotte with very good pricing. Raleigh is more expensive but it's the state capital and I'm sure it's a bit more recession-proof than anywhere else in the state because of that.

I have lived in Raleigh for the past year and a half. Don't want to live anywhere else for the time being. I've lived in Atlanta, Austin, Sarasota, Albany (NY), and out of everywhere my favorite state is NC. If you like mountainous areas, go to Asheville. If you like big urban cities, go to Charlotte. If you like a less stressful, more suburban feel, with a tech vibe, go to Raleigh. If you like the beach, go to Wilmington.

NC is the best bang for your buck in my opinion.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:29 PM

Thank you for the link, great link for researching various things on locations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post

Old 11-15-2018, 01:31 PM

Great suggestion! I'm not tying the IT work with location so much as the type of work I do, programming can be done from anywhere. Of course the trick is to find full time employment that would allow you to work fully remotely from day one. In my case, the location serves two purposes: opportunities for healthcare and great schools for kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
Think outside the box - for healthcare, metros like Cincinnati, Columbus, St Louis, and even the Twin Cities are great options with good cost of living, and all would have IT work available if you couldn’t continue to work remotely. One doesn’t really need to be in a hub, per se, especially since there is a move to decentralize tech a bit to where there is more space and lower costs.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:33 PM

Agree! that's a better measure. Would you say, property tax plus sales tax is a good way to start for evaluating that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Don't get wrapped up in the income tax vs. no income tax aspect. Tax Burden is is a better statistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.