Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2018, 11:06 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,314,575 times

Advertisements

I would suggest lower taxes, free market healthcare, gun rights, etc is why GOP does well in the south and other places. Nothing to do with religion. Being pro-life on abortion is also not a religious based position.

I would say many people on the left are virtue signaling on a number of issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 11:08 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,119,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Personal experience over 37 years is data.

I'd very surprised if you know more people in the south than I do.
So I’m supposed to take a stranger’s anecdotal experience over the empirical data that have been presented here?

I’m not saying you’re wrong or lying, but your claimed experience in one unknown city or town in the south does not speak for the region as a whole. And regarding your experience of having nobody ask about your religious background, I would wager there are ten that would say the opposite. Several have already offered their own anecdotes contrary to yours.

At any rate, this is just one of the reasons I don’t care for the southeast, and most of the others cannot be cured with personal anecdotes.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:09 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,661,726 times
Quote:
I would suggest lower taxes, free market healthcare, gun rights, etc is why GOP does well in the south and other places. Nothing to do with religion. Being pro-life on abortion is also not a religious based position.

I would say people like you are virtue signaling on numerous issues.
Then I think you're being ignorant to think religion, the south/rural areas and the GOP are being being seen as connected to the general masses. I suppose it's purely coincidence that the most religious states and areas tend to also be be the most red.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
So I’m supposed to take a stranger’s anecdotal experience over the empirical data that have been presented here?

I’m not saying you’re wrong or lying, but your claimed experience in one unknown city or town in the south does not speak for the region as a whole. And for your experience of having nobody ask about your religious background, I would wager there are ten that would say the opposite. Several have already offered their own anecdotes to the contrary of yours.

At any rate, this is just one of the reasons I don’t care for the southeast, and most of the others cannot be cured with personal anecdotes.
I've never heard of CIty Lab so why should I trust their 'data'.

How can you prove how many people are religious in a given area? That's speculation presented as data.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Then I think you're being ignorant to think religion, the south/rural areas and the GOP are being being seen as connected to the general masses. I suppose it's purely coincidence that the most religious states and areas tend to also be be the most red.
I understand a majority of CHristians vote for Republican. That doesn't mean the GOP platform is essentially a Christian platform.

Also, do Democrat politicians run on immorality platforms? I don't think that is the case. I think most politicians present themselves as clean cut 'family' oriented type people.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:

How can you prove how many people are religious in a given area? That's speculation presented as data.
Here's another... it's all pretty much the same. It feels as though you're purposely being dense.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...tes-in-america

Old 11-16-2018, 11:14 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,119,296 times
Quote:

Even if the data is as dubious as you claim (which I disagree with), why is it worth less than your own anonymous anecdotes?

Quote:
I understand a majority of CHristians vote for Republican. That doesn't mean the GOP platform is essentially a Christian platform.

Also, do Democrat politicians run on immorality platforms? I don't think that is the case. I think most politicians present themselves as clean cut 'family' oriented type people.
True along with being religious and a church going man if they are from the South for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Here's another... it's all pretty much the same. It feels as though you're purposely being dense.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...tes-in-america
Ok, so why did blue states like CA and MA vote down gay marriage when it was on the ballot referendums?

Generally when people try to make case the south is more religious, it centers on gay marriage and abortion. Gay marriage is the only issue that I see as religious based.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Ok, so why did blue states like CA and MA vote down gay marriage when it was on the ballot referendums?
What does that have to do with any of this? Are you deflecting? Times change and people change and it's all past history now. Thanks to a federal law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.