Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2018, 12:04 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,865,667 times

Advertisements

You said you "were done" days ago, and I let it rest. Did you forget? Or maybe your emotions got the better of you?

If you'd like to debate this some more there's plenty to bite off...where your latest post has nothing to do with what I've said, and otherwise. Your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 08:11 PM

923 posts, read 665,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
You said you "were done" days ago, and I let it rest. Did you forget? Or maybe your emotions got the better of you?

If you'd like to debate this some more there's plenty to bite off...where your latest post has nothing to do with what I've said, and otherwise. Your choice.
Seeing how you dont use the quote feature I have to guess you are talking to me.
Emotion?LOL
Because of you?LOL
hahaha You really do have a since of self importance if you think you can affect me like that.I am just curious more than anything else.I jst dont understand why people do what they do.But you have bored me now so I will move on
I dont wish you any ill will we just have vastly different outlooks on life and things in general'
Have a good night

Old 11-17-2018, 09:32 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,865,667 times
Roger that. Three straight posts (all quoting me) that manage to say "I'm out" while also accusing of new things (one after I simply ignored you), and no backup for any of it.

But I'll ignore you if there are no accusations in the next one. Otherwise I'll invite you to connect accusations to something I've said, as you've never, ever done.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
My original comment regarding DC not being Southern was in relation to it's culture.

Also, geographically DC is above the midline of the East Coast. Also, you'll notice that anyone that claims DC to be Southern is never actually from DC.. look at the national weather or news and you'll notice DC never gets lumped on with the south or southeast it's always about heavy rain etc.. in the midatlantic or northeast.
Quote:
In addition to the monetary objection, assumption did not sit well with the Southern states who had been more successful than the Northern states in paying down their debt. To the South, the assumption plan seemed to be showing favoritism to the North. A compromise was reached by allowing the capital to be placed in the South.
Unless Geography has changed I don see how any argument can be made.
The Compromise that Created Our Capital | Teaching American History

Old 11-17-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Roger that. Three straight posts (all quoting me) that manage to say "I'm out" while also accusing of new things (one after I simply ignored you), and no backup for any of it.

But I'll ignore you if there are no accusations in the next one. Otherwise I'll invite you to connect accusations to something I've said, as you've never, ever done.
LOL
Sure.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:01 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,696,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Unless Geography has changed I don see how any argument can be made.
The Compromise that Created Our Capital | Teaching American History
Hmm maybe youre confused with geography vs. history because you're not making sense... the midpoint of the east coast is near Ft. Lee, Virginia. DC is geographically north of there.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Hmm maybe youre confused with geography vs. history because you're not making sense... the midpoint of the east coast is near Ft. Lee, Virginia. DC is geographically north of there.
No.Im not
The Census,historical records and many depictions of The Southeast region always show Maryland,Virginia and Delaware in the Southeastern/Southern Region.if not there ,then its depicted as a part of the Mid Atlantic Region.How DC somehow cant get omitted doesnt make sense to me.
Its ok to not agree but you cant act like this stiff is just made up by people.There are precedents.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:38 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,696,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
No.Im not
The Census,historical records and many depictions of The Southeast region always show Maryland,Virginia and Delaware in the Southeastern/Southern Region.if not there ,then its depicted as a part of the Mid Atlantic Region.How DC somehow cant get omitted doesnt make sense to me.
Its ok to not agree but you cant act like this stiff is just made up by people.There are precedents.
You're still confused..

Geography = "a science that deals with the description, distribution, and interaction of the diverse physical, biological, and cultural features of the earth's surface"
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/geography

Geographically, DC is not within the Southern half of the US.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:51 AM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
You're still confused..

Geography = "a science that deals with the description, distribution, and interaction of the diverse physical, biological, and cultural features of the earth's surface"

Great, the only reason I rated the PNW over the South was I thought DC was in the south.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
You're still confused..

No Im not.You are or rather you dont want to hear what Im saying.
The very definition explains "geographical" aspects of DC to me,as well as its not just one reason why many (including me) see it as not "Southern" in a traditional sense but with Southern elements that are plain to see by anyone from the South.

You seem to have such an aversion to even consider basic facts regarding common history of the South including but not limited to things like Jim Crow

Even Gogo Music which is uniquely a DC and regional invention has The God-father of Go-go" Chuck Brown who haled from North Carolina.
You talk about its "logical" but its logical that if so many residents as a matter of factual events have come for decades came from largely one region then it seems you cant logically deny the influences.
Seems you and others have no issue accepting that DC has Northern cues as well but is not compltey Northern either

DC has all the things the rest of the South has:bugs,very humid hot weather,lush hilly and subtropical landscapes a heavy concentration of mostly blacks who trace there ancestry to the South,In other words,GEORGRAPHY as by the definition YOU provided

Quote:
During the Civil War (1861-1865) and Reconstruction (1865-1877), more than 25,000 African Americans moved to Washington.
Of course they came from he South.The Deep South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.