Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2006, 01:21 PM

88 posts, read 97,935 times

Advertisements

Okay, as usual, Kevin has even more questions! I always have questions! But this time I'm looking for specific recommendations on a state/city/area to live in that has:

1) Cheap housing, but not junky. Anything where 100-200k will get a decent, 3br or so house.

2) Low crime.

3) Near some form of water. River. Lakes. Ponds. Ocean. Don't care but I need water.

4) Climate not an issue really, but I prefer no brutal colds or hots.

5) Good job opportunities in general.

6) Liberal.

Also, any opinions on Canada for these criterias?

Can't wait to get some recommended states!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 02:26 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm31091 View Post
Okay, as usual, Kevin has even more questions! I always have questions! But this time I'm looking for specific recommendations on a state/city/area to live in that has:

1) Cheap housing, but not junky. Anything where 100-200k will get a decent, 3br or so house.

2) Low crime.

3) Near some form of water. River. Lakes. Ponds. Ocean. Don't care but I need water.

6) Liberal.

Also, any opinions on Canada for these criterias?

Can't wait to get some recommended states!
You might want to check out Sycamore, IL.

1) 200K should get you a nice condo or townhouse, but hurry up, the town is growing (currently 17K people) and the prices are sure to go up no doubt, like the rest of the area.

2) Hardly any crime in Sycamore. DeKalb has a little more, but basically property crime because its a college party town.

3) LOTS of water around here. Within short distances of the Rock River, Fox River, several lakes and ponds.

4) It CAN get brutally cold sometimes, but not often, and brutally hot, but not often. You can check our average temps here on city-data. We average around 200 sunny days a year, with around 30" of rain, which is about a national average. Brutal cold spells last only a few days at a time, same for the brutal hot. Most of the year is pleasant (based on winter and summer standards). Today (12/14) were at 50 degrees, tomorrow almost 60. Last week we were in the 20s and 30s. Gotta love Chicagoland! LOL

5) A short 25 minute ride to the western suburbs of St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia, etc. will yield lots of jobs (good paying too!), and LOTS more closer towards the city.

6) The town is about 50/50 split between libs and conservatives.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 07:22 AM..

Old 12-15-2006, 02:51 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,856 times
Suburban counties around Charlotte fit the bill as far as your housing needs.
These areas are safe. You have Lake Norman and Lake Wylie from which to choose. Awesome sunny 4-season climate. One of the strongest economies in the U.S. There's a good mix of lib/conserv/indep who get along pretty darn well; TRUE diversity! Good luck in your search!!!

Old 12-15-2006, 06:46 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Quote:

2) Low crime.

6) Liberal.
Austin, Texas sounds PERFECT for you! Texas is generally quite conservative but Austin is the exception. It has a great atmosphere, live music capital of the world, plenty of lakes and ponds, plus the housing is affordable. I'd definetly check it out!

Old 12-16-2006, 08:54 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
What about Oregon (Eugene up to Portland) or Washington? Seattle is expensive, but there are many nice smaller cities along the coast, and Oregon has lots of options. Eugene is great if you can handle the rain, and some of the Portland suburbs or Vancouver, WA., might have homes in that price range. I love Vancouver, Canada as well, but don't know enough about it to give advice... I do know it's pretty expensive, though, so probably won't fit in your range. But I'm sure there are parts of Canada that would, and it might be a good choice for you! Anyway, that's all I can think of for now...

Old 12-16-2006, 09:14 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Default I'm moving back to Eugene! ;-)

I just did a realtor search on Eugene, since I was curious to see how the prices were... I lived there 10 years ago, so was afraid it might not be cheap anymore! Anyway, here's what you can still get for under 200K -

$187,900, 3 bed-1 bath, 1092 sq.ft., 0.22 acres:
http://homepics.realtor.com/image2/http/portlandregional/listings/large/100/6085312-1.jpg (broken link)

$195,000, 3 bed-2 bath, 1166 sq.ft., 0.13 acres:
http://homepics.realtor.com/image2/http/portlandregional/listings/large/035/6097140-1.jpg (broken link)
http://homepics.realtor.com/image2/http/portlandregional/listings/large/037/6097140-3.jpg (broken link)
http://homepics.realtor.com/image2/http/portlandregional/listings/large/038/6097140-4.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-16-2006, 02:21 PM

88 posts, read 97,935 times
I like Eugene, and upon research I think Spokane Washington looks good (I like some of the colleges there, by the looks of it through research). How is Spokane? Seems fairly cheap enough. But is it near that volcano? I did look up about Mt St Helens but can't tell if it's near Spokane. And Sorry for the stupidity.

So any more ideas, and info about Spokane, WA or Eugene (OR)?

Old 12-16-2006, 02:43 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm31091 View Post
I like Eugene, and upon research I think Spokane Washington looks good (I like some of the colleges there, by the looks of it through research). How is Spokane? Seems fairly cheap enough. But is it near that volcano? I did look up about Mt St Helens but can't tell if it's near Spokane. And Sorry for the stupidity.

So any more ideas, and info about Spokane, WA or Eugene (OR)?
I thought that Mt. St. Helen was in the western part of the state. Could be wrong about that, though.

I've always heard (and I know it's important not to paint with broad brushes) that eastern Washington is definitely on the conservative side as opposed to western Washington.

Keep asking questions. Only people who think they know it all never ask them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.