Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 10:47 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Yes, by 1999, Governor and the state declared that the whole area is now downtown.
No - the state never did that. I don't know why the state would get involved with doing that. The city, when talking about downtown, includes these areas as do most locals with a clue. The fact that it is a "2nd downtown" is completely laughable. It's all considered part of the greater downtown area for anybody who has lived in Chicago recently and wasn't under a rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 11:55 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,865,667 times
That's hysterical. What conceivable purpose could a governor have to do that?! Is he going to decide the definition of purple next?

I'm always amazed at the things that people thing governments do.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:47 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
What about Port Covington?
There's nothing there yet at the moment. I think that they're still trying to figure out what they're gonna do with the place. One minute it's Under Armour, the next minute its "Silicon Valley East," the minute after, it's both. I think the only thing there at the moment is a fancy tavern own by Kevin Planck's Development company.

When complete it could be downtown 4.0.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:55 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
That's hysterical. What conceivable purpose could a governor have to do that?! Is he going to decide the definition of purple next?

I'm always amazed at the things that people thing governments do.
Not officially but verbally acknowledged in early 2000's.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:58 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
No - the state never did that. I don't know why the state would get involved with doing that. The city, when talking about downtown, includes these areas as do most locals with a clue. The fact that it is a "2nd downtown" is completely laughable. It's all considered part of the greater downtown area for anybody who has lived in Chicago recently and wasn't under a rock.
They just verbally acknowledged. Anyway, I'm not too crazy about Downtown Chicago since it's not all that exciting or dynamic to go over it. Sorry to break it to you: Philly, SF, Portland and others have more exciting downtowns that are really doing everything right.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:11 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
This is what I've been experienced from the local people back in the 70's and up to 90's. Before? I didn't go to Chicago. I've been going to this city since the mid 70's. This whole idea of Downtown Chi town including Streeterville and Gold Coast is just recent years as area beyond Loop became more dense relatively. yes, it's downtown 2.0: extended area from downtown
I think you would’ve been hard-pressed to find an era in which Union station, Merchandise Mart and the John Hancock building weren’t considered downtown.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:16 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Downtown includes Lake Shore Drive East and Loop. Any places else: not downtown. So, yes, this is not part of Downtown Chicago( N. of the river) in the pictures.
You must be older then me...... and that would be old and truly outdated to see the NEIGHBORHOOD also, of the Loop (with the primary business district) ...... being alone downtown.

I can see you disagreeing with Donald Trump that his Trump Tower Chicago.... is not in downtown Chicago. He would call that ----Fake News.

There were threads in the past that had non-locals argue that Old Town isn't downtown or even including just a small part of the Gold Coast as too residential. Yet some cities have oldest residential neighborhoods grandfathered into its downtown core like just by proximity and always was just seen as that. Like Philly. I don't disagree.... just saying. Yet you argue this basically 1/2 of downtown Chicago today with the Near North neighborhoods between Old Town/Gold Coast as not part?

Seems no local will buy into the idea its a downtown 2.0 either. It just evolved as a extension to be fully assimilated into one downtown. Big push was Big John (formally known as John Hancock Center) built in the late 60s. Continued emergence its première shopping region with even its vertical mall built by Big John in 1971. Still going strong today luring tourist and of course ..... many of the city's top hotels with the nightlife even in River North today.

The Loop still is emerging as a live-in new and old repurposed skyscrapers area. But still the largest concentration of office space ..... outside of Manhattan. That still will effect the number of residentser sq/mile and 3-parks and into Lake Michigan, for its residential population. Still managing tops outside of Manhattan with Philly's that always was highly residential. Chicago's was not at all ..... till 30+ years ago now. It emerged with a high live-in population to today.

But it doesn't compare to San José in vibrancy of NYC and even Philly for you. You prefer. Both Chicago and Philly deserve their high regard of their cores. A choice there is understandable. Just some might disagree with mighty San José up there too...... But every city deserves their emergence of renewed core-life and residents there.

All downtown Chicago today .... as one.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-20-2019 at 12:49 AM..

Old 11-18-2018, 06:34 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
They just verbally acknowledged. Anyway, I'm not too crazy about Downtown Chicago since it's not all that exciting or dynamic to go over it. Sorry to break it to you: Philly, SF, Portland and others have more exciting downtowns that are really doing everything right.
LOL...okay. Philly, SF, Portland. I don't agree with that at all, but that's your opinion. None of this has absolutely anything to do with what we are talking about anyway in downtown 2.0. . So, congratulations?

Old 11-18-2018, 06:41 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Milwaukee's Third Ward...within a couple blocks of downtown, and vastly popular for shopping. It has West Elm, Anthropologie, and Restoration Hardware.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:10 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Chicago's real downtown: Loop, that is. River North/Mag. Miles just an extended urban district from Loop. The city and state officials begin coining the term "Downtown" of the whole area from Mc Cormick convention center to Lincoln Park in the 90's. It sure so wasn't downtown north of Chicago's river. It was Near North. South of Congress: Near South Side. River North is not downtown 2.0, just another urban district with its own entity, at least was planned that way.
sure. anything you say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.