Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 09:20 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Oh cool. Never been to Louisiana, most of my southern experience is in VA and NC and I can't recall every hearing this much, if at all...

Fun fact, that has nothing to do with this thread: I took a genealogy test three years ago and had a ton of Louisiana relatives. It mystified me, as not only have I never been to Louisiana, I have no known relatives there. And I mean there was a LOT of distant relatives that popped up from there, many times more than any other place...

This past spring I went back to California and shared this with my grandmother, who told me her father was from Louisiana and Creole. Never knew it and it lent some support to that first genealogy test...

I took a second one this past summer that confirmed I am Creole descended, that my family's American base dates to Louisiana from before the Civil War. This is fascinating to me, as Louisiana would have been among the last places I guessed I "came from", and my grandmother, who is 68, never shared this with me before. The only bad part is that she doesn't remember the city or parish her dad was from...

So don't be surprised if I hit you up for all kind of questions and insight about Louisiana, as I plan on taking an extended trip (several weeks long), in about two years...
I don't mind answering the things I can! During the time I lived there I traveled all around it and met many different sorts of locals.

I'd say my personal expertise is mostly to do with the Florida parishes and Acadiana.

That said, people from Louisiana will even use the term Yankee to dismiss each other. There's a prevalent notion that anybody north of I-10 is a Yankee. Some people say it tongue and cheek, others take it seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 09:27 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I can't recall more than one or two times I've ever heard "yankee" used as a pejorative. Where exactly in the South are you guys hearing this?
Kentucky, every time I am down there.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:43 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
This definitely isn't something you hear in urban VA or NC. I don't know about the smaller cities or rural areas, though...
I heard it alot in suburban Atlanta.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:55 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
This definitely isn't something you hear in urban VA or NC. I don't know about the smaller cities or rural areas, though...
You know it's not a term that Black folks really use.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You know it's not a term that Black folks really use.
True that. It's definitely a white thing. White southerners use it as a bad word, and New Englanders use it as a term of pride.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:10 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
True that. It's definitely a white thing. White southerners use it as a bad word, and New Englanders use it as a term of pride.
Similar to how the word Midwest isn't used by many Black Midwesterners. When I hear black people from Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit or any other major midwest city they always refer to themselves as northerners. I think the great-migration has a lot to do with it. I watched a youtube video called Ohio vs Georgia and the woman from Ohio didn't know Ohio was apart of the Midwest. The only city where I hear blacks say they're midwestern is ironically St Louis which is considered an outlier city for the Midwest.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Similar to how the word Midwest isn't used by many Black Midwesterners. When I hear black people from Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit or any other major midwest city they always refer to themselves as northerners. I think the great-migration has a lot to do with it. I watched a youtube video called Ohio vs Georgia and the woman from Ohio didn't know Ohio was apart of the Midwest. The only city where I hear blacks say they're midwestern is ironically St Louis which is considered an outlier city for the Midwest.
There's always been a divide in the way white and black Americans define things. For good reason, our histories here are quite different.

I'd like to live to see a time when it all truly comes together and neither side are trying to wipe out the other.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:13 AM

1,351 posts, read 893,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
That's news to me. I've lived in the Midwest my whole life and never considered St. Louis part of any other region.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:51 AM

1,094 posts, read 807,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
That's news to me. I've lived in the Midwest my whole life and never considered St. Louis part of any other region.
St Louis is a midwestern city but because it's in Missouri it's considered an outlier because Missouri is has a lot of southern influence and was considered apart of the south prior to the civil war. Not saying, St Louis, is a southern city but when your city is a few hours away from Memphis and rapper Nelly has a song called country grammar it gives people this perception of St Louis being country. I didn't realize how far north STL was till recently I always thought it pretty far south for a midwestern city like bordering TN south.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:53 AM

643 posts, read 1,017,947 times
No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.