Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 03:04 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times

Advertisements

-Cost of Living. And in addition to that, would I be getting my money's worth, and/or would I be getting a good value?

-I would rather live somewhere where people aren't trampling over each other in order to make money. I would like my city to have a very strong working-class, one that can afford to own homes even.

-Public transit is nice. I'm a fan of train systems for sure.

-I'd prefer my area to have friendly people, on the surface at the very least. I'd like my city to not have places where people feel the need to segregate, or self-segregate for any reason.

-Less traffic; 30 minute commutes should be rare, and an hour or more should be unheard of.

-For me, weather is becoming less important as I get older. I've discovered that I actually like the sun, I like snow, I like cold, I like heat, and I like rain. I don't want my air too dry, nor too humid (I'd probably rather have more humid than dry though). For me, living in a green/treed place exceeds topography. Big rivers are a plus too.

-A variety of older housing styles and densities. Less (or none) new-suburban cracker box housing tracts.

On a more personal level, I need to have poker rooms nearby. Minor-league and up sports would be good too. And an airport within an hour or two.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:46 AM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Free time matters a great deal to me - I'd gladly take worse weather or less apartment space for the dollar for a shorter commute and the ability to get to all basic amenities within or near my neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 04:40 PM

45 posts, read 28,482 times
Great answer 'the timid blue bars'. I agree free time is important. I also feel having a car is important to get out and about.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:58 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Free time matters a great deal to me - I'd gladly take worse weather or less apartment space for the dollar for a shorter commute and the ability to get to all basic amenities within or near my neighborhood.
Free time matters to me as well so that’s why I need good weather and outdoor activities to enjoy it. What good is free time if the weather is lousy, at least in my world. I’m sure for others it wouldn’t matter as much.

Seeing that the standard of living doesn’t vary much across similar economics levels throughout the country, weather and the environment to enjoy it in is tops for me.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:03 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,137 times
To me it means:

That I can buy a house in cash there.

Somewhat walkable. The entire city doesn't have to be a walker's paradise, but there has to be some neighborhoods that are affordable and walkable.

Access to large medical centers. I'm not trying to be helicoptered in to a hospital far, far away.

Bike friendly culture. Don't think I'd ever want to cycle in the streets of Atlanta or Miami.

Little to no snow.

Access to beaches and mountains. This is the biggest reason why I love living in Raleigh.

Liberalish culture. Doesn't have to be San Francisco type but I don't want to feel like everyone's looking at me because I'm different either.

Major airport that has a lot of direct flights to solid cities. Not like Albany, NY which has direct flights to Detroit lol.

Low to zero state income taxes.

Low property taxes. NC is a breath of fresh air coming from NY.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:05 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I know this subject comes up a lot as if everyone should have the same values. What does quality of life mean to you.

Cost of living to income ratio. Regardless of what my income is, if everyone is struggling to make ends and no one has anything to save or to spend, the city doesn't have any appeal.

It's also variety of economic opportunity so not everyone is chasing the same dollar.

I also look at public transportation and how accessible it is by walking.

Parks and bike lanes are important.

Frequency of hate crimes is a major issue especially if I am a minority in the area I choose to live.

Traffic flow and commute times.

Weather has become a major issue as I get older. My comfort level changes dramatically. Anything below 20 and above 90 becomes unbearable. I do like the change of seasons.

What about everyone else?
1.big church of Christ population
2.Right-Leaning
3.Low Taxes
4. Warm to hot climate
5. not very much traffic
6. safe from crime and natural disaster.
7. Good Dating scene
8. Low cost of living
9. Good economy with chances to make good money
10. small to mid-sized

Old 12-10-2018, 10:28 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
1.Affordabilty, this includes housing, healthcare, and entertainment among other things.
2. Weather, never again will I willingly live somewhere I frequently feel trapped indoors because of bad weather.
3. Traffic, every time I venture into a larger city and spend a lot of time sitting at lights or crawling along behind a long string of cars I'm grateful I no longer have to deal with that particular headache on a daily basis.
4. Plenty of outdoor space/recreation, I need to be able to quickly escape to the woods or the lake or river on a year round basis.
5. Aesthetics, I can't abide boring scenery. For me that means no large cookie cutter housing tracts, no flat brown or barren landscapes. It lifts my spirits to be able to look at beautiful houses or gorgeous natural scenery when I am out and about my day.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:41 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
1.big church of Christ population
2.Right-Leaning
3.Low Taxes
4. Warm to hot climate
5. not very much traffic
6. safe from crime and natural disaster.
7. Good Dating scene
8. Low cost of living
9. Good economy with chances to make good money
10. small to mid-sized
What place are you thinking of that meets your criteria?

Church of Christ is largest in Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas.
I don't know about the dating scene.
Better economies are in large liberal cities.
Safe from crime? Depends upon the type of crime. Safety depends on personal choices.
Natural disasters are acts of God. Nothing you can control.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:10 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,055 times
Quality of life is one's choice.

For me:
1. Healthy lifestyle. Like I can bike or walk to work or I can exercise in our community park. 2 key things here are the (a) weather and (b) amenities such as how the city is designed to encourage people for physical activities (walking, biking, exercise). That doesn't exist where I live.

2. Access to high quality jobs.

3. Master planned infrastructure/transportation system, sitting in a traffic is unproductive.

4. Access to top notch education.

5. Diverse social services for kids like free health care, elderly and PWD's. I don't mind paying extra taxes for these social services. Our generation needs more educated kids for our future.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:33 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
What place are you thinking of that meets your criteria?

Church of Christ is largest in Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas.
I don't know about the dating scene.
Better economies are in large liberal cities.
Safe from crime? Depends upon the type of crime. Safety depends on personal choices.
Natural disasters are acts of God. Nothing you can control.
The poster is just giving what's important to them. No need for you to judge their personal preferences.

Better economies with good job growth and good Buying Power (average annual income vs cost of living) are generally in METROS that are moderate to right leading. The more liberal an area, the more a company is likely to relocate elsewhere due to a high tax burden, strapping over regulations, and high operating costs (the most expensive metros have the highest costs of living). Metros have more of an impact on an area's economy than the central city. So, in reality, what you're saying isn't true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.