Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 03:23 PM

46 posts, read 24,207 times

Advertisements

So, the backstory first. I have lived with Bipolar Disorder and OCD since I was 14 (now about 55). I am well educated and at one point in my life (~1999) I was making 120K when I became too sick to work reliably. As a result of several hospitalizations I went on disability. I take in about $1500 a month right now. I have given up hoping that the medical industry can help me and rely on diet and environment mostly to keep me stable. I am also a Daoist.

Rising rental and medical costs are making it difficult to live in Montana. Plus I cannot afford a car so winters are difficult. My landlord is raising my rent but I need to leave anyway since I feel unwell where I am living. Plus, the wildfire smoke here in the summers makes me unwell also. I tried to find alternative housing but have not had any luck in my price range or with finding a roommate. I can usually spend up to $700/month on rent. Also, since I cannot get my deposit back until I leave my apartment, I have no money to put down on a new apartment. Hence, homeless.

So, I am weighing the option of buying a tent and some camping gear and living in that for a while so I can save some money, maybe for a down payment, maybe for a cheap scooter/motorcycle. I do have some outdoor experience and I am trying to look at this as more of an extended camping trip rather than me being "homeless".

My issues is that I do not know which direction to go. I have lived in Hawaii, Washington State (Olympic Peninsula) and North Carolina. In my travels I have wandered in and out of the homeless population and was saddened by the amount of drug use. I do not do any drugs. It is the one thing I want to avoid as much as possible. So I am looking for a small town that might put up with a nice guy who cannot afford housing at the moment and just wants to live a simple quiet life and try to work out the final kinks so that he can try to start working again.

So I am just throwing this out here for ideas or if anyone else went through the same thing.

My Needs:
Small towns
Lower Homeless population
Access to Seafood (Salmon preferentially)
Moderate Temperatures

The Olympic Peninsula checks off a lot of those boxes, but the drug and homeless issues there are pretty bad. But anything west of the Mississippi might work. A long term AirBnB might work as well but they are so expensive in the places I feel would be the best place for me to live.

Also, if anyone knows the intensity of the drug/homeless on the Oregon and Washington coasts I would love to hear about it.

I do not want to be homeless, and I have never been a bad tenant or broken a lease. Just a sick dude trying to get better who has some money and is looking for a healthy place to live but is caught in a money trap.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 06:51 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,044,183 times
Good luck with everything, sounds like you have some good qualities inside that you've been able to rely on. I'm sure you'll land well. You might want to try posting in the forums of target cities instead of the general forum. You'll be more likely to get replies from locals that are glad to give you the skinny on the area.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:13 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,678,368 times
New Bern, NC?

Old 01-31-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
New Bern, NC?
Thanks, but really looking west of the Missippsi.

I have lived in Chapel Hill for quite a few years, the heat and humidity are a trigger for me. Easier for me to stay warm outside than it is to stay cool. I looked at New Bern before I left, rent is still too high and not enough choice if i save money to rent a place. I hear that AirBNB has really taken hold of the town as well limiting rentals.

There are a few camping spots nearby but sheesh, the mosquitoes and alligators...

Old 01-31-2019, 04:28 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times
On the Washington coast, this might suit your needs:

https://olympic.craigslist.org/apa/d...790454509.html

Available Mar. 1st
$550/mo 1bd 2-story condo 1,008sf
DirecTV/WiFi for $30
Part-time job: on-call housekeeping - $30/unit (~$15/hr) - earn ~$500 bi-monthly in summer, ~$60-$200 bi-monthly off-season

Short walk to beach. Sleep to sound of waves.

Grays Harbor has an excellent transit system:

Grays Harbor Transit! > Bus Schedules & Maps

http://www.ghtransit.com/Portals/40/...system4-17.pdf

http://www.ghtransit.com/Portals/40/...b-Hoq.4-17.pdf

Plans are to restart the Ocean Shores-Westport foot ferry next summer.

Homeless/crime issues are primariy in Aberdeen/Hoquiam, but much less on the Coast.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:55 PM

[quote=CrazyDonkey;54309166]On the Washington coast, this might suit your needs:

Available Mar. 1st
DirecTV/WiFi for $30
Part-time job: on-call housekeeping - $30/unit (~$15/hr) - earn ~$500 bi-monthly in summer, ~$60-$200 bi-monthly off-season

/QUOTE]

Sounds nice, wish i could. They want $800 down which i do not have though.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:24 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times
[quote=Kryztyn;54310448]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
On the Washington coast, this might suit your needs:

Available Mar. 1st
DirecTV/WiFi for $30

/QUOTE]

Sounds nice, wish i could. They want $800 down which i do not have though.
If he likes you, he'll probably bargain. He wants someone with extra income, so you'll stick through the slower months. You could pay off the deposit in a couple months.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:18 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,628,150 times
First of all I'm very sorry to hear of your situation.
May I ask if you have any family that can be of help?
I say this out of all due respect but you are 55 and being homeless and wanting to camp out at your age is a terrible option.
If you were 25 I could understand but there aren't any other options for you?
I'm sincerely wishing you the best.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:42 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
Sorry to hear about your predicament.

A lot of it comes down to how soon you have to leave.

The good news is that if you’re 55 or close to it you can get into a reduced rent 55+ community.

This place in Port Angeles looks perfect for you:

https://olympic.craigslist.org/apa/d...790698553.html

However, there’s a wait list and a $300 deposit. But surely you could scrimp and save enough in a reasonable time frame. The problem is the wait list.

This one doesn’t say there’s a wait list even though it appears to be the same complex, and still within your budget:

Here’s one in Bellingham for $695. Tiny, but they don’t say there’s a deposit:

I understand you have had issues finding a good roommate and also don’t want to see a lot of homeless, but these may be sacrifices you have to make if you don’t want to be homeless yourself. And if you do end up in a tent city despite having an income that would allow you to secure housing, even with roommates, then you would be homeless by choice. You have options, they may just not be the ones you would ideally like. For the record, there is homelessness/drugs in the OP, but it’s on a far smaller scale than say Seattle. I doubt it would interfere with your daily life.

Here’s a solution: rent a room for a few months at under $500 a month and save that extra money you saved on rent for a deposit. And get on a wait list ASAP for your own place within your budget.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:26 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,824,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
First of all I'm very sorry to hear of your situation.
May I ask if you have any family that can be of help?
I say this out of all due respect but you are 55 and being homeless and wanting to camp out at your age is a terrible option.
If you were 25 I could understand but there aren't any other options for you?
I'm sincerely wishing you the best.
Most of the homeless people I see are closer to 55 than 25. I think 25 year olds have more options in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.