Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 12:27 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,998 times

Advertisements

I have been in Atlanta almost a decade now and while it's great for my career(payment processing/fintech), I feel like I've outgrown the city. Background about me and what I am looking for:
Early 30s
African American lesbian(I date interracially and also have a diverse friend group)
I love warm weather and prefer the beach over the mountains
Looking to be in an urban area or very close
Liberal
Love theatre, museums, and sporting events

Orlando and Tampa are on my list, as well as Philadelphia(only due to the location being near family). I'm interested in Chicago, but the weather is a big negative. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 12:49 PM

483 posts, read 354,381 times
LA sounds like a pretty good fit it you can handle the scale of the city

Old 02-04-2019, 12:49 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,353,738 times
You mention feeling like you've outgrown Atlanta. How so? Because if you find it too small, there really aren't that many options to move to. If you just mean you need something new, that leaves open a lot of other doors.

The only metros larger than Atlanta are Philly, Miami, DC, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, LA, and NYC. If you like beaches, Dallas has to be out. If you don't like cold, DC, Chicago, NYC and Philly are out. That leaves Miami, Houston, and LA. Houston is not really as liberal as the other two.

LA has beaches and is liberal, and is more urban than Miami with more theater and museums. Miami is less dense, but has the better beaches and is much more affordable.

I wouldn't rule out DC, Philly or NYC though. They're very liberal, very urban, and will have some of the best theater, museums, and sporting events. Also, neither are far from beaches. DC has Ocean City MD and Rehoboth DE. Rehoboth is like a much calmer Fire Island as it attracts lots of LGBT beach-goers from DC. Philly LGBT crowd goes to Rehoboth also, as well as the Jersey Shore only an hour away. NYC has the Jersey Shore, Long Island, and even its own beaches within city limits in Brooklyn and a bit further away in Queens. All are accessible without a car (by train to certain ones and bus service to others).

If you can put up with winter weather in Chicago, it would be a great option for a liberal, AA lesbian interested in theater, museums, and sports who likes beaches. Unlike the other cities, its beaches are right downtown and easy accessible from numerous neighborhoods.

Overall, I'd say look at LA and Miami for all your criteria. If you can handle the winter, look into DC, Philly, NYC and Chicago.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:03 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
I have been in Atlanta almost a decade now and while it's great for my career(payment processing/fintech), I feel like I've outgrown the city. Background about me and what I am looking for:
Early 30s
African American lesbian(I date interracially and also have a diverse friend group)
Liberal

Orlando and Tampa are on my list, as well as Philadelphia(only due to the location being near family). I'm interested in Chicago, but the weather is a big negative. Any other suggestions?
Los Angeles meets all of your points and would fit very well, but what are your cost of living preferences?

Old 02-04-2019, 01:04 PM

I'm from the Mid Atlantic, DC is a great city. I loved hanging out there in college, but the COL isn't worth it. NYC is too big, I don't like it.
Philly, Chicago, LA, and, Miami seem like decent contenders.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Los Angeles meets all of your points and would fit very well, but what are your cost of living preferences?
I'd rather not have a roommate. I find it crazy to pay more than $2k in rent if I did have to get one.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:12 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,845 times
Quote:
I'd rather not have a roommate. I find it crazy to pay more than $2k in rent if I did have to get one.
I would consider Tampa as a cheaper alternative then.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:23 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,773 times
Quote:
Early 30s
Liberal

Los Angeles, San Diego, and Houston

Old 02-04-2019, 01:52 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
I would certainly consider Berkeley and Oakland CA , which sound as if they might tick off all your boxes. (Except for the beaches I think.) The East Bay is certainly liberal, diverse, LBGT friendly, generally mild climate, a hoppin' job market, and only a short train ride away (BART) from San Francisco for more cultural offerings. Rent will certainly be higher than in Atlanta. But I'd guess so would salaries, especially in finance/technology.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:05 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,353,738 times
Quote:
Under $2k in rent to live on your own then? Your money will not go nearly as far in LA. The properties available for under $2k/mo in LA are either going to be in poor shape or undesirable neighborhoods. And I don't mean undesirable only as in "unsafe," but also as in like why did you move across the country to live in that boring suburb lol

For under $2k/mo, I'd look into Miami, Philly, and Chicago more strongly. And that also would add Houston back onto the list IMO. It's not as liberal as the others, but the COL is great, it has some urban areas downtown, and it's near the Gulf Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.