Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2018, 12:52 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
I thought the term "Mid-Atlantic" stuck with the primary region being Washington DC metropolitan region, a.k.a. DMV region. Everything directly and immediately north of the Baltimore/DC region could be classified Northeast, while everywhere directly immediately south of it could be classified Southeast and there would be no need for the "Mid Atlantic" term otherwise.

So, I'm surprised of the questioning that Virginia is included in the definition of "Mid-Atlantic", when it's most populated area, Northern Virginia, is part of the DC region.

When Comcast bought out the HTS cable network - a regional sports network for the DC and Baltimore local sports teams, Comcast renamed it Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic. It has since been renamed to NBC Sports Washington, though.

AAA's division of it's AAA Mid Atlantic largely includes the DC region, and areas of Virginia, as well.
I think Baltimore is the embodiment of the Mid-Atlantic moreso than the DMV is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 01:08 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
There were no opinions involved in what I was saying. He is from the south, he is a southerner. Those are facts whether he wants to believe it or not.
lol, man you're really trying hard to define DC. A bunch of DC folks here have joined the thread an none are aligning with you in regards to being Southerners. We're not and we don't identify with Southern culture. And clearly, we don't really care what Baltimore is so stick with it being a Southern city and concern yourself with all of the issues Baltimore has so it can pull it's weight better within the greater area rather then focusing on pulling in DC folks for revenue

Old 12-07-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
lol, man you're really trying hard to define DC. A bunch of DC folks here have joined the thread an none are aligning with you in regards to being Southerners. We're not and we don't identify with Southern culture. And clearly, we don't really care what Baltimore is so stick with it being a Southern city and concern yourself with all of the issues Baltimore has so it can pull it's weight better within the greater area rather then focusing on pulling in DC folks for revenue
I don't know what all of that other stuff you're talking about, what I'm telling you is DC is southern city. It doesn't matter what people consider themselves.

No point in trying to debate that.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:59 PM

741 posts, read 1,113,410 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter what people consider themselves.

It does matter what people consider themselves as. You have no say in that at all.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I don't know what all of that other stuff you're talking about, what I'm telling you is DC is southern city. It doesn't matter what people consider themselves.

Why do you care so much about DC...?

Old 12-07-2018, 05:17 PM

1,839 posts, read 677,172 times
Quote:
I think Baltimore is the embodiment of the Mid-Atlantic moreso than the DMV is.
I don't think Baltimore is important enough of a city or market to be an embodiment of region. Even within it's metropolitan boundaries, Baltimore County has more population and economy than Baltimore City itself.

That said, the Baltimore region is growing.

The high income job market in Baltimore is also influenced by government (security-clearance) jobs much like the DMV and the rest of Virginia. When I lived in northern Baltimore County, I was surprised how many people talked about the necessity of a security clearance for jobs. In contrast, one comes up to Wilmington, DE and then the Philly market, or going south, towards Raleigh, you'll see a whole lot less government jobs or even talk of it.

Last edited by g555; 12-07-2018 at 05:26 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
I don't think Baltimore is important enough of a city or market to be an embodiment of region. Even within it's metropolitan boundaries, Baltimore County has more population and economy than Baltimore City itself.

That said, the Baltimore region is growing.

The high income job market in Baltimore is also influenced by government (security-clearance) jobs much like the DMV and the rest of Virginia. When I lived in northern Baltimore County, I was surprised how many people talked about the necessity of a security clearance for jobs. In contrast, one comes up to Wilmington, DE and then the Philly market, or going south, towards Raleigh, you'll see a whole lot less government jobs or even talk of it.
The population, importance (always subjective), or economy isn't what makes the place the embodiment.

It is the culture. Baltimore is a better representing of the culture of the Mid-Atlantic. It's hard to understand how a city that is so transient can be the prototypical Mid-Atlantic.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:02 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
The population, importance (always subjective), or economy isn't what makes the place the embodiment.

It is the culture. Baltimore is a better representing of the culture of the Mid-Atlantic. It's hard to understand how a city that is so transient can be the prototypical Mid-Atlantic.
This is a valid point, but it's not so much about the transient nature of DC but rather its unique status as the nation's capital that was built as such. Thus it has a different history, culture, and quality than other mid-Atlantic cities.

But I think if I had to pick just one city that best represents the mid-Atlantic, historically and present day, it would probably be Wilmington.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is a valid point, but it's not so much about the transient nature of DC but rather its unique status as the nation's capital that was built as such. Thus it has a different history, culture, and quality than other mid-Atlantic cities.

But I think if I had to pick just one city that best represents the mid-Atlantic, historically and present day, it would probably be Wilmington.
Why Wilmington?

Old 12-07-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:

That makes no sense. Other cities like Atlanta, NYC, Seattle, SF etc are just as transient or at least close to DC and you don't hear that those cities don't represent their respective regions. DC has been around since 1790 you act as those DC hasn't been around very long. Baltimore might've played a bigger role before but today DC is playing a bigger role in developing what's seen as Mid-Atlantic/South Mid-Atlantic or whatever else you want to call it, especially with most of the population and economic growth for the region happening in the DC area..

Last edited by Ebck120; 12-07-2018 at 06:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.