Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 11:24 PM

10,114 posts, read 15,782,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Area media releases confirm that both cities are actively cooperating in merger talks regarding a combined CSA, rather than an MSA. Such a new CSA designation may occur very soon, while an MSA designation will be further in the future.
New Orleans and Baton Rouge should also look into a combined CSA since they already border each other and are increasingly interconnected. At least as much so as Baltimore and Washington DC or Charleston and Huntington WV or Chicago and Northern Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 08:30 PM

2,845 posts, read 2,755,800 times
Quote:
Area media releases confirm that both cities are actively cooperating in merger talks regarding a combined CSA, rather than an MSA. Such a new CSA designation may occur very soon, while an MSA designation will be further in the future.
Please don't insult my intelligence. I know more than you think about MSAs/CSAs. And not just as a hobby.

I can tell you right now that a CSA is not created via "merger talks" and that no "new CSA designation" will happy "very soon."

CSAs are defined by the White House Office of Management and Budget based solely on commuting patterns. They are done once every ten years, although they were released this year to align with the publication of the new American Community Survey results.

MSAs/CSAs designations won't be re-updated until 2023 at the earliest and, when they are, OMB will designate them without one iota of interest in what Cincinnati or Dayton local officials want.

In fact, in 2009, OMB reassessed the criteria by which they designate MSAs/CSAs and they realized that one of the biggest criticisms was politicizing the process by allowing local opinion to sway designations. This document is called '2010 Standards for Delineating Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas' and can be found here: https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...standards.html

You can also find OMB's 2009 recommendations here: https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...view-committee

Let me quote the Number One change that OMB made:
"The Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Area Standards Review Committee recommends elimination of the use of local opinion in the qualification of combinations with employment interchange measures between 15 and 25. Adjacent core based statistical areas (CBSAs) should automatically qualify for combination if they possess an employment interchange measure of 15 or higher."

And, to add further: "In reviewing the 2000 standards, the committee noted that combined statistical areas can serve as an important geographic tool for the Federal statistical data community. The committee also observed, however, that under the current system—in which adjacent metropolitan and/or micropolitan statistical areas combine automatically if they meet a specified employment interchange measure of 25 or more, while areas with an interchange measure of less than 25 but at least 15 qualify with the support of local opinion—the universe of combined statistical areas is heterogeneous. This calls into question the comparability of the areas. Applying only statistical rules when delineating areas—the means by which the other statistical areas delineated by OMB currently qualify—minimizes ambiguity and maximizes the replicability, transparency, and integrity of the process. The committee advocates
applying only statistical rules, automatically combining all areas with the minimum employment interchange measure of 15."

So either you are woefully misinformed, or are purposefully lying. I don't know which is worse.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:35 PM

2,845 posts, read 2,755,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
New Orleans and Baton Rouge should also look into a combined CSA since they already border each other and are increasingly interconnected. At least as much so as Baltimore and Washington DC or Charleston and Huntington WV or Chicago and Northern Indiana.
To nip this in the bud as well, CSAs are not created because two cities "look into" establishing a new CSA.

It's decided by the Federal Government - the White House Office of Management and Budget - and is entirely removed from local opinion. See my post above.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:56 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,620,093 times
Quote:
Agreed. The residential/commercial growth between Dayton and Cincinnati is so prevalent that the two cities may soon become one CSA, and possibly, later on, one MSA. The stretch of I-75 from Warsaw, KY to Tipp City, OH is often referred to as CIN-DAY. This tie-in between the two cities is easily visible in recent nighttime satellite photographs, such as the 2012 pix below:

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/f...635d38a1_o.jpg
Yes, I also believe Cincinnati and Dayton will become one CSA soon.

There's nothing but suburban sprawl between the two cities along I-75 these days. By the time you leave one, you're in the other.

Headed southbound, there's the Dayton Children's sign on the far south side of Dayton, and if you blink, you'll miss the Cincinnati Premium Outlets sign on the far north side of Cincinnati.

I see some disagree though, which is fine. We're all entitled to our own opinions.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:35 AM

10,114 posts, read 15,782,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
To nip this in the bud as well, CSAs are not created because two cities "look into" establishing a new CSA.

It's decided by the Federal Government - the White House Office of Management and Budget - and is entirely removed from local opinion. See my post above.
Yes a lot of this is weird. For example Ascension Parish does see more commuting into Baton Rouge than New Orleans, but when I lived in WV, they moved Putnam County from the Charleston to the Huntington metro area but then combined it into a combined CSA though more people in Putnam County commute to Charleston than Huntington. So the Charleston-Huntington MSA has over 500,000 people though the biggest city, Charleston has slightly over 50,000 people and the metro area stretches over 100 miles I think and these stats also include Ironton and Portsmouth OH and Ashland KY. And also goes east almost to Beckley.

I'm also surprised that Morgan City, LA is part of the Lafayette metro area and NOT with Houma-Thibodeaux (which isn't combined with New Orleans).

Howard COunty, Maryland I believe has equal commuting to Baltimore and Washington DC but those two cities have very different cultures and identities.

Many New Orleanians refuse to accept Tanigaphoa and Washington Parishes as part of greater NO despite the official designation. Hammond does have about as much connections to Baton Rouge and Livingston than to New Orleans though I guess they are heavily linked with Covington and Mandeville and the rest of St. Tammany Parish. I think Washington Parish, St. Helena Parish and Point Coupee should just be considered rural and not part of any MSA but they are part of the New Orleans and Baton Rouge metro areas technically.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:59 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,977,245 times
The sprawl of SoCaol is epic

Old 01-07-2019, 04:20 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,370,423 times
For SA/Austin, I've always thought San Marcos and north were Austin oriented and everything south of San marcos (New Braunfels) was all SA.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:02 AM

4,134 posts, read 2,769,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
This is a question for those people who live between two cities (not in the same metro area) that are close together. In other words, it is for people who have easy access to the two, close enough to both that one would expect you to access both.

Since I'm talking about cities being in two different metro areas, I am eliminating:

Bay Area (SF/Oak/SJ)

Twin Cities (Mpls/StP.....and, heck, there is nothing between the two; they touch)

Metroplex (Dal/FW)

I am including two that are so close they border on being one metro area but they are not quite like the 3 above so they deserve to be part of the conversation:

Baltimore/Washington

And I'm zeroing in on the following (although other examples may be found):

• New York, Boston
• New York, Philadelphia
• Philadelphia, Baltimore
• Chicago, Milwaukee
• Tampa, Orlando
• Los Angeles, San Diego
• San Francisco, Sacramento

Questions:

• In what ways do you use both cities?

• What are you more inclined to do in one than the other?

• Which of the two are you more oriented to? Is anyone out there oriented equally to both?

• In what way do the two cities compliment each other by their different offerings?

• Anything else relevant to living between two major cities
Well I live in North Raleigh, 25 minutes from downtown Raleigh and 30 minutes from downtown Durham. I work in West Raleigh, my son goes to school in Wake Forest, so my days are usually spent running between those places and going nowhere near the downtowns. But when I do something big, it’s more evenly split. I go to the Durham metro for most sporting events (10 or so UNC football, basketball, Bulls baseball games each season; compared to maybe one Hurricanes game a season in Raleigh). Restaurant-wise, I usually gear myself towards Downtown Raleigh instinctively, if only because most people I know are geared towards there as well. Theatre-wise, I’ll go to either Memorial Auditorium in Raleigh or DPAC in Durham, but DPAC usually has the better shows, so I go there probably twice as often in a year. The symphony is in Raleigh, so there for that (as is the ballet, but I think I’ve only been once ever, so yeah). I try to see what’s happening festivalwise, but the majority of the time I stick to the Raleigh-side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.