Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:21 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,925,845 times

Advertisements

Take a look at St Louis. It fits most of your criteria.

The humidity may not be what you are looking for though. Keep in mind it only lasts a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:44 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Take a look at St Louis. It fits most of your criteria.

The humidity may not be what you are looking for though. Keep in mind it only lasts a few months.
Yeah. May, June, July and August. Summers here are brutal (Although this last summer was relatively nice, with only June and July being overly hot and humid). I'm freezing my arse off now.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:09 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
I think you'd really like Portland, Oregon.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:55 AM

39 posts, read 73,563 times
Have you thought about Tyler, Tx. maybe? My family was and is looking to move there but are wanting a little more snow than they have lol. But, from what other people have told me, it seems to meet your standards fairly well. You should check it out, maybe the Texas forum can give you more info. That is where my mom got her info.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:40 AM

631 posts, read 1,574,863 times
Seriously think about Colorado for this. Colorado has just about everything you want, but lately the humidity has been somewhere in the high-40s and low-50's (which I think is pretty high considering that half of it is a desert). Obviously we got the Rockies. We don't have crazy drivers (if you want them just go to Texas , no offense though, I like Texans). Commutes usually aren't horrific, but they can be occasionally trying. Denver is one of the sunniest cities in the nation with over 300 days of sunshine. Most people are friendly and willing to help out regardless of where you are from. Yes we have Targets but now we are trying to focus development on lesser/more local retail stores like Macy's and Nordstrom. The pace depends on where you are.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:48 PM

3 posts, read 6,146 times
You live in the best climate on earth so anything will be a letdown. I wonder about all you CA people who head to the Mts and deserts of the West. Might seem a bit brutal. Someplace like Greenville SC may be a better fit. Hot for two months but everything has A/C. Lush Mts are nearby (not as tall as CA's tho) and great palm-lined beaches are a few hrs away (much better than CA's). ATL and Charlotte are a short drive and you can even reach NYC in a long day's driving. Much more laid back and friendly than SoCal but still seems new and upcoming. Or maybe E Tennessee. Nicer Mts, not as hot in the summer, colder in winter, very white. Lots of FL refugees heading there.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:40 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,896 times
The place where I live now(Los Angeles metro) I think the weather here is a bit boring and not enough variety. We do get rain here but not even near enough and the summers are too dry. That is where a place like FL has the advantage over L.A. At least it rains more over there. Yeah, I know FL has hurricanes but CA has earthquakes. Its all about picking your poison, what you prefer to deal with. They say that in life you have to give up something in order to get something.

No matter where you go, there is going to be some kind of weather related issue if you really think about it. Thanks to all who took the time to give their suggestions. I haven't been to St. Louis before. Colorado is a lovely state. Portland OR is lovely too but the economy up there isn't too good(not that CA is better). In fact, L.A. doesn't have a good economy now either and I'm in the middle of a career change trying to pick up the pieces and move on after the mortgage industry basically collapsed. I used to work in the mortgage business by the way. I have to stay put until I finish retraining and get some experience in my new field, then I can think about where to go.

I still haven't ruled out the possibility of going to AZ. FL is also a place I am considering. As I said in a previous post, there is much more to weather when choosing a place to live. But one thing is for sure: the next place I move to must have rent costs and cost of living well below what we pay here in CA where housing prices and cost of living are like extortion.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:27 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I live in Los Angeles, and I'm actively trying to find "my spot". So far, after reading many of the other state and city forums, I've reached the following conclusions:

1. There is nothing that will ever suit my needs 100%.
2. Bad traffic and urban sprawl seem to be just about everywhere, in varying degrees.
3. Florida and California are becoming unbearable for many (not all!) people.
4. High taxes don't always guarantee good infrastructure.
5. Even good areas have their bad sections.
6. There is always a trade-off, such as:
- Nice people vs. nasty weather (midwest)
- Great weather vs. high cost housing (west coast)
- Good jobs vs. long commutes (almost any big city)
7. Wherever I move to, it seems that someone will resent me from being from California.
8. Everyone seems to be moving everywhere else! It's a giant free-for-all, or a game of musical chairs.

I feel like I should get a map of the U.S., fold it so that the eastern two thirds of the country are covered up (sorry, but I can't stand humidity!), then close my eyes and stab my finger somewhere. Knowing my luck, I'd end up in the middle of the desert in Nevada!

I think I want what everyone else wants:
1. Mild summers and winters (a nice middle ground of both!)
2. No earthquakes!
3. Low humidity
4. Traffic isn't horrendous ALL the time, and drivers don't cut you off and then give you the finger!
5. A city where I can work professionally, yet afford a house not too far away (so that I can actually enjoy my house!).
6. Nice, welcoming people who will help me get settled.
7. Medium-sized city where I feel like I have elbow room, yet it also has a Target (sorry, no Wal*Mart for me!).
8. Slower paced than L.A., but not too slow.
9. Prefer mountains, not beaches.
10. Decent doctors and hospitals, because if I like this city I'll live there until I die.

Schools aren't important, because my kids are in college, and I'm not moving until they graduate, anyway.

So that's my "wish list". I know I have to give something up. Good thing I have some time to think about this!
Sounds like Salt Lake City, Portland, Denver or Albuquerque might be good for you.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:38 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
Why is it that so many people in this country flock to the same place. It ruins a place, yet people leave thinking they're leaving to a paradise, when that paradise is so overrated its going to turn into such a hectic place for everybody and soon go downhill. (FLORIDA)

I don't know why anyone would want to move somewhere that's seeing extreme growing pains.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:04 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,679,798 times
Portland,ME?Manchester,NH? Maybe Portland,OR..Bellevue,WA or somewhere in CO like the above poster said..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.