Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state(s)?
Virginia 20 12.42%
West Virginia 17 10.56%
Kentucky 11 6.83%
Tennessee 24 14.91%
North Carolina 20 12.42%
South Carolina 27 16.77%
Georgia 9 5.59%
Florida 8 4.97%
Alabama 29 18.01%
Mississippi 8 4.97%
Arkansas 10 6.21%
Louisiana 7 4.35%
Texas 12 7.45%
Oklahoma 4 2.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 05:48 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I would probably vote SC or Alabama...
Yes, let's talk about Alabama, which after Mississippi might be the most maligned state in the Union.
It is actually a beautiful state; for starters, I-59 between Chattanooga and Birmingham is one of the prettiest stretches of interstate that I've seen. The AL beaches are unique and beautiful (Perdido, Orange Beach, Gulf Shores and Dauphin Island). The Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay is gorgeous, with charming communities like Fairhope, Daphne and Point Clear skirting its shores. There are some really pretty antebellum towns like Eutaw and Eufaula, and some picturesque and surprisingly livable cities in northern AL like Florence, Decatur and Huntsville. And then there's Birmingham's downtown, which is making a comeback, along with great southside communities like Mountain Brook, Highlands, Five Points, Homewood and Vestavia Hills.
Folks should give Alabama a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 06:31 AM

1,351 posts, read 893,153 times
I like West Virginia and Oklahoma a lot. West Virginia is a stunningly gorgeous place, and the people are salt of the earth, and friendly as hell as long as you don't treat them like they're less than you. Oklahoma has a surprisingly level of geographic diversity. If you had some kind of metric for geographic diversity per square mile, I'd think Oklahoma would win. You go from heavy deciduous forest and rugged low mountains, to a savanna transition area, to full blown prairie/plains cropland to high plains, to southwestern tableland deserts. Any other state with that many transitions (California and Texas are the only ones that come to mind) are much larger. Good people too.

However, I don't think of either one as particularly southern. I get that they are in the Census Bureau's definition of the South, but both have significant influences of other regions (Midwest/West in OK; Rust Belt/Midwest/Northeast in WV) that make them seem very different from Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, etc. I feel both of these states are just kind of their own thing, regionally. West Virginia actively seceded from the South, and OK was Indian Territory during the Civil War, so both lack that key component of southern heritage. West Virginia's ties to coal and manufacturing, and Oklahoma's ties to ranching/wheat/oil/wind also seem out of step with the industries and commodity production that have been associated with the south, historically.

I've visited both a few times, and always really enjoyed the feel, the people, and the topography.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:47 PM

333 posts, read 239,885 times
Alabama. Beautiful state. Parts of Birmingham are pretty awesome.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:09 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
I voted North Carolina

Old 12-14-2018, 03:57 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
West Virginia by a country mile.

This poor state gets the shaft in all sorts of ways by people who have never even bothered to visit it.

If WV were off the table, my vote would go to Kentucky.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:02 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
I wouldn't say SC is underrated generally given the tourism, economic and population growth, and college kids from other regions attending SC universities.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:39 AM

828 posts, read 647,325 times
SC (although much less so than it used to be; its reputation seems to have improved a decent bit, with the renewal of Charleston, although the rest of the state is still underrated), as well as Tennessee, besides Nashville.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:45 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
West Virginia is southern, it just isn't of the typical modern perception of what southern is. It definitely has Midwestern and Northeastern influences...

I also don't find it underrated, though. It's got a creepy, Hills Have Eyes thing going on, isn't particularly kind to minorities, and there are enormous swaths of barely inhabited land. Driving through WV on the way somewhere else can be one if the loneliest rides ever...

Old 12-16-2018, 07:16 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
West Virginia is southern, it just isn't of the typical modern perception of what southern is. It definitely has Midwestern and Northeastern influences...

I also don't find it underrated, though. It's got a creepy, Hills Have Eyes thing going on, isn't particularly kind to minorities, and there are enormous swaths of barely inhabited land. Driving through WV on the way somewhere else can be one if the loneliest rides ever...
That's exactly the BS I am talking about. It's not creepy at all. It's just people like anywhere else. You're just as likely to meet somebody with bad intentions here in NY, perhaps much more likely.

If you ask me, you're better off worrying about inner cities and self-important college towns that aren't too kind to white people.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:44 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,786 times
I'll bet a lot of people have never or rarely been to the south based on this poll. The leader, Tennessee, is certainly more "highly rated" than underrated these days, thanks to not only Nashville, but other parts of the state enjoying its overfill, and of course its lifestyle is known all over much of America. Its states like Kentucky and Arkansas that seem to fly under the radar a bit more, in particular Arkansas, which seems overshadowed by its neighbors, even notorious Mississippi. The Little Rock forum is pretty dead compared to most other forums for a city of its size. They don't call it The Natural State for one thing, with the Ozarks, Hot Springs, plantation country in the southeast, and even some Texan influences on one side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.