Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state(s)?
Virginia 20 12.42%
West Virginia 17 10.56%
Kentucky 11 6.83%
Tennessee 24 14.91%
North Carolina 20 12.42%
South Carolina 27 16.77%
Georgia 9 5.59%
Florida 8 4.97%
Alabama 29 18.01%
Mississippi 8 4.97%
Arkansas 10 6.21%
Louisiana 7 4.35%
Texas 12 7.45%
Oklahoma 4 2.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 02:40 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,700,840 times

Advertisements

I don’t think Arkansas is underrated. The northwest part of the state is definitely underrated, but it’s much different than the rest of the state. Drive from Memphis to Louisiana one time, it will seem like you are in a completely different state than the Fayetteville area.

NC and VA are my favorite states on the list, but I don’t think they are underrated.

South Carolina is a great state with a ton of tourism due to Charleston and Hilton Head, so I don’t consider it underrated either.

WV is absolutely beautiful, but it has less diversity of topography and less urban areas than most other southern states.

So my answers would be AL. Alabama has everything from mountains to beaches. It has a growing tech corridor in Huntsville, and both UA and UAH are starting to recruit high stat kids from around the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 03:36 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,828,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Yes, and I was just stating that imo a city like Columbia doesn't really make SC as a state more underrated. For example I wouldn't think Roanoke really plays into Virginia's offering or Winston-Salem for NC. They all seem like regular towns/smaller cities that most states have with the standard amenities.

Winston-Salem is a wonderful city, with one of the best preserved Historic Districts in the U.S. It's also the center of the Arts in NC.

https://visitwinstonsalem.com/

Old 12-18-2018, 03:41 PM

23,318 posts, read 43,781,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Winston-Salem is a wonderful city, with one of the best preserved Historic Districts in the U.S. It's also the center of the Arts in NC.

Old Salem alone sets W-S apart from the pack.

Old Salem Museums & Gardens

Few states do mid-sized cities and small towns better than North Carolina.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:06 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,661,726 times
Quote:

I've been a few times. I think it's a fine city but I don't think it does much for NC's status. It doesn't come off to me as either a plus or minus to the states image, dare I say, it's like a filler city.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:37 PM

37,796 posts, read 41,511,906 times
Quote:
I've been a few times. I think it's a fine city but I don't think it does much for NC's status. It doesn't come off to me as either a plus or minus to the states image, dare I say, it's like a filler city.
I could understand if you said Greensboro feels like a "filler city," but not really Winston-Salem. It has an interesting history, is home to some well-known brands, and Old Salem and Historic Bethabara are a bit unexpected for a city that's not in the Charleston/Savannah/Wilmington category when it comes to history. I also like how parts of its downtown have a historic industrial vibe, and as it was mentioned earlier, it has a great arts scene.

Some cities are worth scratching beneath the surface a bit if you can appreciate a variety of aspects that has made a city what it is today.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:49 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,828,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I could understand if you said Greensboro feels like a "filler city," but not really Winston-Salem. It has an interesting history, is home to some well-known brands, and Old Salem and Historic Bethabara are a bit unexpected for a city that's not in the Charleston/Savannah/Wilmington category when it comes to history. I also like how parts of its downtown have a historic industrial vibe, and as it was mentioned earlier, it has a great arts scene.

Some cities are worth scratching beneath the surface a bit if you can appreciate a variety of aspects that has made a city what it is today.

Ever the contrarian, he probably blew past it on the Intestate and considers that a 'visit.'

Winston-Salem is indeed one of the nicest mid-sized cities in the country, hands down.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:

I can see your point if you're speaking to someone that is willing to look under the rug/scratch the surface/traverse through the dark alleys but unfortunately most won't and also your angle is very specific to perhaps a history buff. I think of Richmond the same way. I really like Richmond as a city and think it's got a great vibe but at the same time, Richmond isn't really what elevates VA's image in most peoples minds and I get it.... It neither makes VA overrated/underrated. It's a decent city that is there that is not on the minds of the many when deciding on where to spend their dollars.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Ever the contrarian, he probably blew past it on the Intestate and considers that a 'visit.'

Winston-Salem is indeed one of the nicest mid-sized cities in the country, hands down.
Jeez, you were always the most annoying forumer before and you still are. Not everything relates back to your own perspective and how it's the only one that can exist. I guess having to defend Atlanta on every comment made is a bit slow tonight. It looks as though you've formed a gang of some sort..... get back to it... chop chop... skedaddle.. shoo fly

Old 12-18-2018, 06:04 PM

37,796 posts, read 41,511,906 times
Quote:
I can see your point if you're speaking to someone that is willing to look under the rug/scratch the surface/traverse through the dark alleys but unfortunately most won't and also your angle is very specific to perhaps a history buff. I think of Richmond the same way. I really like Richmond as a city and think it's got a great vibe but at the same time, Richmond isn't really what elevates VA's image in most peoples minds and I get it.... It neither makes VA overrated/underrated. It's a decent city that is there that is not on the minds of the many when deciding on where to spend their dollars.
You don't have to be a history buff to appreciate any of what I mentioned concerning Winston-Salem; just be willing to go off the beaten path a bit, which should be easier to do as a visitor. I think it's a pretty common thing for visitors to a city to ask "What's there to see and do here?" and those things would certainly be worth a mention. Unless you have limited time, why visit a city just to see and do the same stuff you see and do back home?

I also think that just because a city isn't a big leisure tourist destination doesn't mean that it doesn't have much to offer and that sort of perception definitely factors in a place being underrated. Furthermore, it's good that a state have a variety of types of towns and cities for a more broadened appeal.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
You don't have to be a history buff to appreciate any of what I mentioned concerning Winston-Salem; just be willing to go off the beaten path a bit, which should be easier to do as a visitor. I think it's a pretty common thing for visitors to a city to ask "What's there to see and do here?" and those things would certainly be worth a mention. Unless you have limited time, why visit a city just to see and do the same stuff you see and do back home?
I get ya.... we're on the same page except I think you're speaking to the outlier whereas I'm understanding of the perceptions of the general masses. I personally like taking trips to off the beaten cities with lots of random stuff to discover but I know that I'm an outlier myself in general when it comes to choosing places to visit. Also, unless one is into history alot will choose to overlook it even if it is one of the cities main draws. I know many who have not gone to Fort Sumter when visiting Charleston, I have but it's not their things nor are they interested. Unless it's a simple nearby trip, I know very few that would go out of their way to go to Winston-Salem thus imo not being either overrated/underrated. There clearly isn't that much of a draw to the city or tourism #'s would be much higher.

Also, I think cities/states in general are rated appropriately from the get go. Alot of this stems from people's perceptions anyways and with the internet there is very little "hidden treasures" about a location in the US that hasn't been uncovered, it's just a matter of it being enough of an interest or unique enough to gain the interest of a larger sum of people.

Last edited by Ebck120; 12-18-2018 at 06:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.