Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 12:21 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times

Advertisements

Apparently Salem, OR, has the largest Marshall Islander population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 03:25 PM

23,443 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
If you are speaking of Clarkston, it is very small, blink your eye and your out in between Decatur and Stone Mountain. I used to live there but it not very noticeable being it's over shadowed by it's two surrounding towns of much more importance.
Which makes its status all the more remarkable.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:55 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,914 times
Minneapolis

Old 12-22-2018, 11:51 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,695 times
Many of these cities have large refugee populations and not immigrant populations. There is a difference. Refugees are placed by organizations in certain cities and immigrants freely choose where to live. Otherwise many of the mentioned cities in this thread would have little foreign born populations. Refugees are not immigrants.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:46 PM

994 posts, read 778,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Many of these cities have large refugee populations and not immigrant populations. There is a difference. Refugees are placed by organizations in certain cities and immigrants freely choose where to live. Otherwise many of the mentioned cities in this thread would have little foreign born populations. Refugees are not immigrants.
Nobody forced those cities to accept refugees, so you are arguing semantics.

Anyway, by your definition of immigration, there is another one I thought of in Northeast Ohio ... Painesville. Technically, Painesville is in Lake County, which is suburban Cleveland. But it's an older city that had a Civil War population of close to 4,000 (or roughly the same as Los Angeles or Dallas at that time).

Painesville has had a huge influx of immigrants from Mexico in the past 20 years. That in itself is not out ordinary for a lot of the country, except that Northeast Ohio's somewhat small Hispanic/Latino population is heavily Puerto Rican.

I mentioned previously that Akron North HS is on the verge of becoming the first in Ohio to have a majority Asian population. The Painesville City School District is also on the verge of becoming the state's first majority Hispanic district as a whole (Cleveland's Lincoln-West High School, which is Puerto Rican dominated, has been majority hispanic for quite a while). While Painesville's high school, Harvey, is in the low 40 percentage Hispanic, the overall Painesville school system was at 49-plus percent last year, with almost all of that population being Mexican.

In 1990, for example, the Painesville schools were 0.1 percent Hispanic.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:31 PM

40 posts, read 41,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
Nobody forced those cities to accept refugees, so you are arguing semantics.

Anyway, by your definition of immigration, there is another one I thought of in Northeast Ohio ... Painesville. Technically, Painesville is in Lake County, which is suburban Cleveland. But it's an older city that had a Civil War population of close to 4,000 (or roughly the same as Los Angeles or Dallas at that time).

Painesville has had a huge influx of immigrants from Mexico in the past 20 years. That in itself is not out ordinary for a lot of the country, except that Northeast Ohio's somewhat small Hispanic/Latino population is heavily Puerto Rican.

I mentioned previously that Akron North HS is on the verge of becoming the first in Ohio to have a majority Asian population. The Painesville City School District is also on the verge of becoming the state's first majority Hispanic district as a whole (Cleveland's Lincoln-West High School, which is Puerto Rican dominated, has been majority hispanic for quite a while). While Painesville's high school, Harvey, is in the low 40 percentage Hispanic, the overall Painesville school system was at 49-plus percent last year, with almost all of that population being Mexican.

In 1990, for example, the Painesville schools were 0.1 percent Hispanic.
yes, all true, and the best authentic Mexican food to be found in Ohio, and according to one review, some of the best tacos in the country (this is not an advertisement! lol)

https://www.clevescene.com/cleveland...nt?oid=3861162

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...in-painesville

Old 01-05-2019, 02:13 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlyofpainesville View Post
yes, all true, and the best authentic Mexican food to be found in Ohio, and according to one review, some of the best tacos in the country (this is not an advertisement! lol)

https://www.clevescene.com/cleveland...nt?oid=3861162

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...in-painesville

People have this weird idea that authentic Mexican stuff can only be found in the Western states. Maybe 30 years ago, but these days there is a large Mexican population in every region except New England.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:29 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Dearborn Michigan is scary.

I get why people would think that it's scary, but as someone who lives in the area - Dearborn really isn't that scary.

The crazy part is that a lot of the Muslims who live there are actually Americans. (I know, shocker).

We also get a lot of people from central and eastern Europe as well as Asia. In my immediate area (the west side of the SE Metro area), it's a lot of Japanese, Indian, and Eastern/Central Europeans.

In other areas of town (like described above), there are more Muslims/Arabs, lots of Christian Arabs in the area too. Lots of other ethnic churches and enclaves in the area as well.

But yeah - it is kind of scary that we can all get along. So maybe I should agree that this area is scary?

Old 01-05-2019, 02:44 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
It might be surprising to some how diverse the immigrant population of Grand Rapids two largest suburbs are (Wyoming and Kentwood). Wyoming is closing in on 1/4 Hispanic with a large Mexican and Guatemalan population. They also have notable Korean, Chinese, and Vietnamese populations as well. Though the Vietnamese population I think started more as refugees than actual immigrants as pointed out. The Grand Rapids area has almost the same number of Vietnamese born residents as the Detroit area does. Not many suburbs in sleepy Midwestern factory towns have authentic Pho and Dim Sum.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:50 PM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Lowell Mass has a ton of Cambodians from the aftermath of Pol Pot.
If your surprised a city in MA has a lot of immigrants that’s a you thing. Maybe it’s more surprising than I realize. Lowell has many Cambodians but also many Dominicans and Ghanaians.

The only cities with immigrant populations that would surprise me would be in the Midwest upper south and gulf coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.