Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 02:27 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times

Advertisements

Another interesting point is that college towns stick out noticeably from the metros surrounding them - check out Ithaca, NY; State College, PA; Bloomington, IN; Athens, OH; etc. So much for colleges being centers of indoctrination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 03:53 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Reminds me of an earlier survey of Big Five personality types by state. Here's the Time magazine piece, but it was peer-reviewed and published in a journal as well:
America's Mood Map: Find Which State Matches Your Personality | Time

The correlations were pretty tiny (just a few percent different between states), but were indeed statistically significant.

(And yes, OKCupid linked to the journal article in their post. They actually do have data scientists on staff.)

As for the West, the Eastern settlers who moved out there were obviously more open to new experiences... and they passed down the same attitudes to future generations.
I belong in Oregon! lol

Old 12-23-2018, 04:12 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I belong in Oregon! lol
New Mexico here.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:35 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Quote:
Reminds me of an earlier survey of Big Five personality types by state. Here's the Time magazine piece, but it was peer-reviewed and published in a journal as well:

The correlations were pretty tiny (just a few percent different between states), but were indeed statistically significant.

(And yes, OKCupid linked to the journal article in their post. They actually do have data scientists on staff.)

As for the West, the Eastern settlers who moved out there were obviously more open to new experiences... and they passed down the same attitudes to future generations.
I belong right here in California! Wow, I never really considered the last point that the first people out west were more open to experiences that pretty much sums up the West Coast.

I agree it does seem pretty accurate due to the college towns down South, maybe this is why Philadelphia is not growing metro wise? Most non growth areas are not that open.

I have to say it's awesome to see Texas so open to new experiences.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:05 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
Quote:

Interesting

I apparently belong in Oregon, lol.

I've taken the Big 5 before and score off the scales on Openness to experience.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:08 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Social "science" rankings and such, especially in terms of what constitutes "openness", is so wildly left up to interpretation and stereotyping that it's more novelty than even fact by a long shot. I'm an Independent Conservative and am, as most Conservatives are (not all), very live-and-let-live and couldn't care less about others private lives as long as it doesn't affect me or my family. Trust me, I know. I've been one my entire 53 years of life. Yet I see me and others like me, as a collective, being stereotypically defined by region of the nation (for me, the South), being religious, etc. by characterizations that I know are outright lies by many in society, and even here on C-D. There's a video on Youtube of Antifa's in Portland taking over a traffic intersection and verbally (and in some cases physically) attacking drivers, even singling out one driver who had a NC license plate and screaming ("go back to NC you $&^@ white supremacists".....) and numerous other vulgarities. Go on Youtube and look it up. The same with the violent Berkeley Antifa Would it be fair to collectively stereotype the majority of people from OR or CA as Antifa's or Antifa sympathisers who want to beat the crap out of me, unprovoked, for simply being a Conservative from NC? No, it wouldn't. I judge on an individual scale, not a collective one (ie Identity Politics). By the same token, I don't judge those in Charlottesville or Portland based on the few idiot white skinhead bigots who try to stir the pot and incite racial violence and hate. I know that the majority of black people don't agree with the black racist groups "War on the Horizon" and "Black Foot Soldier Network" who were both in downtown Charlotte in April 2017 openly spewing racial hate, one even calling for the "annihilation of the white race". My middle son and I unexpectedly came upon these groups that day. My point is, I would trust NO "study" (whether it be from a Liberal OR a Conservative organization) that is judging anyone's "openness". When I saw the title, I knew where this was going, lol. Really what "openness" means in the U.S. today is, "if you agree with me and my personal dogma, hate the people I hate, love the causes I love, you're 'open'" (generally speaking), yet that is the total opposite of openness. Openness doesn't mean agreement. Disagreement doesn't equal "hate". You can't pick and choose. Openness means live-and-let live. I really, REALLY am not trying to be a jerk, stir the pot, or whatever. I just know that most on C-D are Liberal, and from what I see from so many posts, there are enormous generalizations that are constantly made about me and those like me that I know aren't true at all. It gets a bit disheartening at times and worries me that we can't really respect one another the way we should. Yes, there are idiots on the Right as well. Most of us among each other complain about that too (do Liberals ever think some other Liberals go too far sometimes?). But I'm just speaking as transparently as I can as a Conservative that I wish more Liberals would be more "open minded" than they think they are about Conservative. I think many are, I know a lot of them. But many aren't Most of us Conservatives want to have good, respectful conversations about issues we might disagree on. But when we try, many times, we're immediately called the various "isms" and phobs. This survey only perpetuates a very biased, one-sided pretentious view of what's "open". I'm not here to get into a peeing contest of how right or wrong you are or how right or wrong I am. If I see my post is going to go into that direction, I'm just going to stop reading. I just want you guys to see one pretty average American Conservative guy's view that maybe you don't get to see or hear. I surely don't know it all or have all of the answers. None of us do. But I do try hard and pray that I can have enough wisdom to give it a good shot. I think we all, no matter who we are, want to connect. We want the same basic things out of life. But we should also be allowed to agree to disagree without being put down, patronized, and put in a box, as, ultimately, "studies" and "tests" such as this one seeks to do. Thanks for listening to me ramble! and being patient with me. Merry Christmas and God bless!

Old 12-24-2018, 11:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Colorado-which is good. I live there!

Old 12-25-2018, 05:22 AM

1,002 posts, read 917,424 times
Hi march 2, I don't think you really understand what identity politics are. You're close, but you're probably looking for a different term.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:41 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:

Hmm, that one tells me I belong in Montana.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:44 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I'm an Independent Conservative and am, as most Conservatives are (not all), very live-and-let-live and couldn't care less about others private lives as long as it doesn't affect me or my family.
I think the term you're looking for is Libertarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.