Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 02:25 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,779,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
The Ohio river valley has troubled areas but also places like Cincinnati, which is a solid city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
As well as western TN and even the Bootheel of SE MO/nearby portions of western KY/southern IL in the last part.
Just from personal observation, the following areas are also pretty to very poor:
Mount Vernon, IL
Cairo, IL
big parts of Evansville, IN

and in addition to parts of Cincinnati itself (particularly going west from downtown), Ludlow, KY and Covington, KY have plenty of it too.

Old 12-30-2018, 04:45 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,486,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
From my observations about Detroit proper, yes, it is poor. It's comparable to many mostly struggling small towns in other parts of the state, though. I'd probably say that on a scale from 1 (the poorest) to 100 (the wealthiest) across the country, Detroit proper would be about a 20.
I agree. Detroit is not THE worst, but it is nowhere near the Utopia its zealous defenders want you to believe it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 04:51 PM

5 posts, read 3,044 times
Quote:
I agree. Detroit is not THE worst, but it is nowhere near the Utopia its zealous defenders want you to believe it is.
Nobody said it was a utopia, far from it, it's just really so different than other big cities that haven't gentrified yet.

Old 12-30-2018, 04:56 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,554,265 times
Much of the inner coastal plain of NC and SC (i.e. 45 minute- 2 hour drive from the ocean close to and just east of I-95) have high rates of poverty. Unfortunately, those are the same areas that repeatedly get pounded from hurricanes so those folks never seem to be able to get ahead.

Last edited by Jowel; 12-30-2018 at 05:43 PM..

Old 12-30-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroittime View Post
Nobody said it was a utopia, far from it, it's just really so different than other big cities that haven't gentrified yet.
I think TacoSoup had a pretty pie-in-the-sky view of Detroit.

I feel like people replying to me did not see the comment I am replying too. haha

Old 01-02-2019, 11:06 AM

915 posts, read 1,492,550 times
Quote:
The thing you are missing in all of this is that hope is contagious and it's been a really long time since this area has had real hope for success and the future of downtown Detroit. That's a different kind of hope than the false hopes that people had given the area for decades, but real actual tangible hope.

(Which is a lot different than the standstill our area went through 10 years ago when the autos were begging for their government bailout. People had no idea what the future was going to look like and people were terrified that they'd lose their job at one of the autos or a supplier or a support business in the next day or week.....there wasn't much business going on in most places.)

Those of us who've lived here more than 2 minutes realize how big this transformation is for the area and we have every reason to be wildly (but cautiously) optimistic.

Grocery stores are moving back into Detroit. Corporate offices are moving back to Detroit (and leaving suburban buildings empty.)

All of our sports teams have their stadiums downtown now and there are tons of new businesses to support that.

Oh - we can't forget that a lot of the abandoned buildings have been demolished.

That doesn't mean that we are pretending that it's utopia b/c we know that there's still a long way to go.

However, we see and want to celebrate in these successes because they've been a long time in coming.

For a lot of cities, it really isn't a big deal that people want to actually live there. It's a given that there are reasons to live in the downtown core. However, here - downtown Detroit hasn't been a place that people want to live for a very long time. Even 5-10 years ago, more people were moving out of Detroit than moving in. The stereotype that everyone had of Detroit was still very real. These days, not so much. The picture is finally changing and that's a reason to be excited about Detroit's future.

(Unless you really just believe that Detroit is Michigan's armpit and simply deserves to be given to Ohio or Canada because its irredeemable and you just refuse to see that anything good can come out of Detroit.)

The fact is that it's a mixed picture at best. However, we choose to celebrate Detroit's successes because we remember the days when there was nothing much to cheer about in regards to the city.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
The thing you are missing in all of this is that hope is contagious and it's been a really long time since this area has had real hope for success and the future of downtown Detroit. That's a different kind of hope than the false hopes that people had given the area for decades, but real actual tangible hope.

(Which is a lot different than the standstill our area went through 10 years ago when the autos were begging for their government bailout. People had no idea what the future was going to look like and people were terrified that they'd lose their job at one of the autos or a supplier or a support business in the next day or week.....there wasn't much business going on in most places.)

Those of us who've lived here more than 2 minutes realize how big this transformation is for the area and we have every reason to be wildly (but cautiously) optimistic.

Grocery stores are moving back into Detroit. Corporate offices are moving back to Detroit (and leaving suburban buildings empty.)

All of our sports teams have their stadiums downtown now and there are tons of new businesses to support that.

Oh - we can't forget that a lot of the abandoned buildings have been demolished.

That doesn't mean that we are pretending that it's utopia b/c we know that there's still a long way to go.

However, we see and want to celebrate in these successes because they've been a long time in coming.

For a lot of cities, it really isn't a big deal that people want to actually live there. It's a given that there are reasons to live in the downtown core. However, here - downtown Detroit hasn't been a place that people want to live for a very long time. Even 5-10 years ago, more people were moving out of Detroit than moving in. The stereotype that everyone had of Detroit was still very real. These days, not so much. The picture is finally changing and that's a reason to be excited about Detroit's future.

(Unless you really just believe that Detroit is Michigan's armpit and simply deserves to be given to Ohio or Canada because its irredeemable and you just refuse to see that anything good can come out of Detroit.)

The fact is that it's a mixed picture at best. However, we choose to celebrate Detroit's successes because we remember the days when there was nothing much to cheer about in regards to the city.
And there is NOTHING wrong with that! Truly, my sincere congratulations. But once again, I don't think anybody read the comment I was replying to.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:45 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,412,504 times
Quote:
And there is NOTHING wrong with that! Truly, my sincere congratulations. But once again, I don't think anybody read the comment I was replying to.
You made a comment on how no one would consider Detroit a wealthy Metro, not city, after bashing it pretty good. I let you know how ignorant that statement was seeing one of its counties, and several of its suburbs are amongst the wealthiest in the nation.

I also pointed out the irony of your statement about how the deep south isn’t all poor and there’s wealthy areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.