Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 08:26 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Isn’t there a relationship between Chicagoland and Phoenix??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 08:48 PM

810 posts, read 2,161,599 times
Baltimore and Pennsylvania? Lotta Baltimore area commuters from South-central PA.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:58 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Dallas and Oklahoma. Lots of ou fans live in Dallas and I'd imagine a good plurality of Dallas oos residents are from Oklahoma. Not sure about Houston and Louisiana.

Austin and California?

Old 05-18-2023, 08:37 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Seattle-SF Bay Area-Austin.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:12 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Greenwich, Stamford, Norwalk, and Bridgeport, CT with New York City. Much closer ties than with Hartford. CT is like a few small states in one with strong connections to NY, MA, and RI.
Agreed with all but Bridgeport. Outside of sports fandom leaning to NY and the MetroNorth passing by, there really isn't much New York City ties to Bridgeport.

I think right after Westport it really drops off.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:19 PM

1,204 posts, read 792,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Speaking of the Great Migration and more modern patterns, many in the black community here in Louisiana (Baton Rouge and New Orleans) have connections to the Detroit and Chicago area because of the historic Great Migration, with New Orleans linked directly to Chicago by Interstate 55, US 61 and the railroad since a long time ago, and there's been a more modern migration of Louisiana blacks to Houston and Atlanta especially after Katrina.

These connections are much less true for Louisiana's whites and other non African Americans. Many whites here don't really have deep connections to other states and the ones that do is usually Mississippi, and some retire to the Florida Panhandle and some go to the Houston and Beaumont area to work. Very few whites from the Deep South(the way many Appalachian/Upper South whites did) have moved to northern states and unlike states like Georgia, Texas, and North Carolina, Louisiana does not get a lot of white northern transplants. People usually don't travel far to see family during the holidays and what travel happen is usually Mississippi or Texas.

Hispanics/Mexicans here usually first went to Texas before coming here.
I do know a few peeps from Louisiana back when I lived in Houston area. It's definitely mostly limited to Houston area and nowhere further west, though.

And Katrina definitely push a fair amount of NOLA peeps to Houston, for better or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
Baltimore and Pennsylvania? Lotta Baltimore area commuters from South-central PA.
Or at least Shrewsbury / Glen Rock / New Freedom...the 1st one was known as "Little Baltimore" (Not referring to the crime rate here) just b/c of all the people that work in (or near) Baltimore lives there.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:56 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,084,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Yeah most blacks out here trace their lineage back to Texas, and Louisiana funny how the great migration worked. Every city had Blacks from specific states.
I kind of knew that but very cool nonetheless. I find the migratory patterns of different races/ethnicities/cultures in this country quite fascinating.

Old 05-18-2023, 01:02 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,541,008 times
One of the more curious ones I've heard about is the tie between northern New England, specifically central Maine, and French-Canadians, either Acadians or Quebeckers.
https://bowdoinorient.com/2018/11/09...short-history/

I'd never heard of it until puzzling about why shepherd's pie is called "Chinese pie" in Quebec.

Old 05-18-2023, 01:21 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Isn’t there a relationship between Chicagoland and Phoenix??
Yes! I would say the STRONG relationship is between Chicagoland and Arizona. So many Chicagoans have relocated to Arizona (primarily Phoenix area). There are so many former Chicagoans in Arizona/Phoenix that they have a Portillo’s, Lou Malnati’s, and Gino’s! There is a clear migration pattern from Chicago to Arizona/Phoenix.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:26 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
LA - Vegas

Phoenix - California

Portland - Washington

MSP - Wisconsin

Charlotte - South Carolina

Kansas City - Missouri

St. Louis - Illinois

Chicago - Wisconsin/Indiana

DC - Maryland/Virginia

Baltimore - Pennsylvania

Philadelphia - Maryland/New Jersey/Delaware

NYC - New Jersey/Connecticut

Boston - Rhode Island/New Hampshire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.