Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 12:12 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Penn State or Notre Dame.
State College (PA, not MS) was, until the depravity of one individual, seized upon by a clique of "New Puritan" SJW's, nearly destroyed it.

It's recovering, slowly and carefully, and I hope the stability of a program which required only three head coaches over a 81-year span, that served as the model for reform and improvement in many other schools, and never forgot the true purpose of college athletics, can continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 01:30 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Are you living in a bubble? Madison, WI..where the University of WI is located. AND, Madison is the capitol of WI.
Wow, who knew?

Old 12-29-2018, 03:38 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Scott Stadium at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville could be in the running, but may be a little too big. https://virginiasports.com/facilities/?id=4

Wallace Wade Stadium at Duke University in Durham is another one: Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium - Duke University Blue Devils | Official Athletics Site - GoDuke.com

Old 12-29-2018, 05:28 PM

17,789 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
The original post didn’t ask for “ornate, grand” stadiums, merely historical ones. It didn’t even ask for good football. Which is why the best answer remains mine. Kenan literally ticks every box. Small town, smaller stadium, tailgating, middle of campus, autumnal leaves, enough baby blue to outfit every maternity ward in the state, etc.
Chapel Hill while a wonderful place isn't a small town in reality. It's smack dab in the middle of 500K of people and that's not even counting the Raleigh part of the triangle.

But Kenan IS really beautiful nestled in the pines like it is. I just don't think it makes the cut because of the size of the community. So I don't necessarily disagree. If Chapel Hill were an isolated town of 60K there is no doubt it would be the choice. However, if Sanford stadium doesn't make the cut because "it doesn't have the historical vibe" (OP's words) I wonder if Kenan would. To me they look a lot alike as structures and they were both built in the late 1920s. But no doubt, outside the stadium Kenan is about as good as it gets.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:16 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Chapel Hill is a small town. You can drive 15 minutes to Durham sure, but when walking down Franklin you feel like you are in town because you are in a town.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:53 PM

492 posts, read 535,323 times
Athens

Old 12-31-2018, 09:18 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,489 times
I'm definitely going to stump for my alma mater here.

Ames, Iowa (home of Iowa State) is a fantastic place for college football. The Cyclones aren't very good traditionally, but we check every other box. The Iowa State fanbase is known for packing the stadium despite a bad team, and our tailgating is the most underrated in the country. It's on par with the SEC (which despite what ESPN tells you isn't the only place they play college ball). We have a distinct 4 season climate, so you get the effect of leaves changing color, and all that. You generally see 3 seasons in the course of the college football season here. In 2013 it was 103 degrees at kickoff on opening day and 5 degrees at kick off for the home finale. Our stadium (Jack Trice Stadium) isn't that old (opened in 1972) but it's the only D1 stadium named after an African-American. Jack Trice was our first black athlete, and he was assaulted by the University of Minnesota players (due to his race) in a game in Minneapolis, and he died as a result of those injuries. It holds 61,500 so it's not gigantic, but it's big enough to be an intimidating atmosphere. Ames is a classic Midwestern college town as well. Our campus has won numerous awards from landscape architecture societies and is stunning in mid October, when the leaves are at their peak.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:22 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Athens
Madison

Only downside of Madison is where the tailgating takes place.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:22 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Penn State or Notre Dame.

Strictly for tailgating I doubt anyone surpasses LSU.
Agree on LSU tailgating....the best...they may not win the game, but they always win the pre game.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,411 times
Greenville, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.