Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 09:02 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
It has been, though I assume Dix is being designed to take the mantle. Umstead is my preference however.
Raleigh is fortunate to have a state park within its limits in Umstead, but it doesn't function as a city park. Dix Park's master plan includes a land bridge across Western Blvd that connects it to Pullen Park.
For now, however, Pullen is the premier city park, and its future combination with Dix that adds over 300 more acres is really going to bring the combination of the two to a new level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 07:11 AM

6 posts, read 8,893 times
Cedar Hill State Park at Joe Pool Lake & White Rock Lake come to mind in Dallas.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:40 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Zilker Park and Auditorium Shores in Austin.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:20 AM

483 posts, read 353,819 times
Portland, Oregon has Washington Park in the close in West Hills of Portland. Here you'll find the Rose Garden (site of many an iconic photo of downtown), Japanese Garden (a supposedly World Class Japanese Garden), zoo, arboretum and lots of nature trails. Forest Park is adjacent and linked to Washington Park. Forest Park is one of the the largest city park in the US. It is almost entirely nature. I can recommend both highly.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:13 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
Indianapolis has White River State Park (not an actual state park despite the name). It includes the Indianapolis Zoo, botanical gardens, NCAA Hall of Champions, Indiana State Museum, Eiteljorg Museum of Native American and Western Art, and a concert amphitheater.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7674...7i13312!8i6656

As well as the American Legion Mall.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7775...7i13312!8i6656

Old 01-15-2019, 09:35 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,952,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkergarcia View Post
Cedar Hill State Park at Joe Pool Lake & White Rock Lake come to mind in Dallas.
But those aren't really iconic in that they are "signature" features. For a metro of its stature, Dallas really lacks that major park, ironic given the "everything's bigger in Texas" slogan. The Metroplex is just dotted with small to medium-sized parks like those two examples. There's no Hermann Park or Memorial Park equivalent like you have in Houston, and Buffalo Bayou is even more prominent than the Trinity River park, and then there's the huge Bear Creek Pioneers Park just west of the city.

And White Rock Lake is just a natural feature and outside the Arboretum & Botanic Garden, most of the perimeter is open to private development. Mountain Creek Lake and Lake Arlington are similar with small public spaces surrounded by lots of private development. I'd wish that some of the sprawl could be removed to make way for a nice, Olmstead-style park with urban-style nodes surrounding it to become a real showcase for that metro.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:06 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
But those aren't really iconic in that they are "signature" features. For a metro of its stature, Dallas really lacks that major park, ironic given the "everything's bigger in Texas" slogan. The Metroplex is just dotted with small to medium-sized parks like those two examples. There's no Hermann Park or Memorial Park equivalent like you have in Houston, and Buffalo Bayou is even more prominent than the Trinity River park, and then there's the huge Bear Creek Pioneers Park just west of the city.

And White Rock Lake is just a natural feature and outside the Arboretum & Botanic Garden, most of the perimeter is open to private development. Mountain Creek Lake and Lake Arlington are similar with small public spaces surrounded by lots of private development. I'd wish that some of the sprawl could be removed to make way for a nice, Olmstead-style park with urban-style nodes surrounding it to become a real showcase for that metro.
We have Fair Park. It just needs to be renovated and updated.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:54 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
[quote=2Easy;54132227]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post

It's huge and the common areas are indeed packed. But it's so big that you'd have to drive between most of those places unless you're hiking the mountain separating them. Maybe I shouldn't have said that it's not a premier park, but it's not the urban gathering place like many of the others listed in the OP. I guess it's just not my ideal. I go maybe once per year but drive through often as a shortcut from the 5.
It's unique but it's definitely a premier park. Much hillier than most parks but all the amenities are there. As a city resident I use it alot.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:28 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Here's one I don't think was mentioned.

Beautiful parks may not come to mind when one thinks of Newark, NJ, but Branch Brook Park has the largest collection of cherry trees in the nation, and in Springtime, it draws crowds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branch_Brook_Park

Old 01-25-2019, 09:29 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
But Point State Park is our signature park dont you agree? Even though it has very little in the way of amenities it is one of the defining places in Pittsburgh.
Point State Park is a state park, which I guess ranks it above the city parks. It's also a significant historic site, and a launching point for events on the rivers. It does need more amenities, though. Market Square and Gateway Center are just far enough away from the park to be inconvenient.

As for the city parks, I agree that Schenley Park is the city's crown jewel. Frick Park, Highland Park and Allegheny Commons are all good too, but not on the level of Schenley Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.