Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What southern state has the most friendly people?
Texas 38 14.02%
Florida 4 1.48%
Georgia 11 4.06%
North Carolina 17 6.27%
Virginia 8 2.95%
Tennessee 91 33.58%
South Carolina 32 11.81%
Alabama 11 4.06%
Kentucky 13 4.80%
Oklahoma 11 4.06%
Louisiana 14 5.17%
Maryland 1 0.37%
Arkansas 6 2.21%
West Virginia 5 1.85%
Mississippi 8 2.95%
Delaware 1 0.37%
District Of Columbia 0 0%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 07:29 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,727 times

Advertisements

I think that it is Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 07:31 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I don't consider Maryland or Oklahoma to be Southern, nor the District of Columbia. Maryland and the District of Columbia are definitely Northeastern, Oklahoma is...Oklahoma. Anyways, honestly it's way too hard to tell which states have the most friendly people. You can't characterize friendliness by territory.
Maryland is not northeastern. The only people who think it is northeastern are northeasterners who think it is northeastern because of its location in the Bos-Was megalopolis.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:48 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Maryland is not northeastern. The only people who think it is northeastern are northeasterners who think it is northeastern because of its location in the Bos-Was megalopolis.
Maryland is mid-atlantic. That's the best region anyone can put Maryland in.

BTW, I met some very friendly people from Tennessee so I'm going to have to say them. Can't vote for Texas. While they do have manners, they can be pretty rude.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:27 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,416,603 times
I vote Texas - at least Fort Worth.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:31 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm a native Floridian and could never vote for Florida.

My experiences in Tennessee have been marvelous. Super friendly people. Friendly waves as you pass other cars on rural roads, courteous grocery store cashiers who ask about your family, even mail carriers who stop to chit-chat along their routes.

But I agree with the earlier post about Mississippi, too. When I lived in Oxford, Mississippi I found the people there to be the warmest, most genuinely nice people I have ever met. And that transcends racial boundaries.
You get that in small areas in Kentucky too. I haven't been to Mississippi yet but want so badly to travel through out the deep south and will someday. I have, however, been to Florida seversl times and have never had a problem there either.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:58 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Of the states you've mentioned:

Texas: The friendliest state I've ever been to, period.

Florida: Hmmmm...in Florida, the folks are a mixed bag depending on where you go and just outright rude in some other places. BUT, the Florida transplants that move up here to Kentucky are very nice, friendly folks and assimilate well into our communities.

Georgia: A very nice, friendly place, and I love Atlanta!

N. Carolina: Touts itself for its southern hospitality, but I got to talking to a girl from there once and she turned out to be a b**ch. Making a long story short...like half of the folks I've met from there have been really nice and the other half real b**chy and sour. I would love to visit Charlotte, though.

Virginia: it's become too overrun by the northeasterners. Not friendly anymore anywhere in the state.

Tennessee: hmmmm...I've had some really rude encounters with people from Tennessee, and with CHURCH PEOPLE more than anybody else!!! Sure, the service is nice at the tourist attractions...because they WANT YOUR MONEY!!! So, no, not that friendly...okay, Nashville's actually pretty friendly, but Knoxville and rural TN are not!

S. Carolina: the SC'ians I've met seem like really personable folks and I like all the ones I've met a lot!

Alabama: A "mixed bag" state like NC. I've either met people that will talk your legs off for hours on end or will crudely insult you to your face for the slightest reason. I guess Birmingham/Jefferson Co. and Gulf Shores/Orange Beach are alright, the rest of the place I can do without.

Oklahoma: know next to nothing about OK.

Kentucky: The people are generally surface friendly, at best, and it is VERY HARD to make true, lasting friendships here. (Not that I haven't made friendships, but still...) Yes, there are some good manners in KY, but the folks can be plainly rude (to mostly quote someone else from above.) It's not a bad place to live at all as I love the natural beauty and less traffic. But, it's just not for me, and when I move away I plan on not returning here to live.

Louisiana: a pretty friendly place overall, away from the really depressed towns of south Louisiana.

W. Virginia: haven't had much experience there.

Arkansas: another "mixed bag" state like AL and NC, but they seem just a little leary of "outsiders" for some reason.

Maryland: not friendly. Not southern. It's mid-Atlantic.

Mississippi: I like Mississippi. Its culture, towns, and people are unique and neighborly, and I would not mind living in any of the following: Southaven, Oxford, Hattiesburg, or the south coast. I think MS is an underrated state in terms of its natural beauty and educational opportunities, too (off the subject of friendly, I know.)

Delaware: just like Maryland

Washington, DC: not a state, but you know the saying, "southern efficiency, northern hospitality." Most southerners are not lazy people, you know, but it refers to the incompetence of the city gov't there, and that saying pretty much sums up D.C.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 04-22-2008 at 04:17 PM..

Old 04-22-2008, 09:12 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
No one in this universe could guess who I voted for, it is impossible to get it correct.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:44 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
No one in this universe could guess who I voted for, it is impossible to get it correct.
I have no earthly idea

Old 04-23-2008, 02:06 PM

251 posts, read 895,755 times
You must not have spent any time in the Wiregrass region of Alabama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Of the states you've mentioned:

Texas: The friendliest state I've ever been to, period.

Florida: Hmmmm...in Florida, the folks are a mixed bag depending on where you go and just outright rude in some other places. BUT, the Florida transplants that move up here to Kentucky are very nice, friendly folks and assimilate well into our communities.

Georgia: A very nice, friendly place, and I love Atlanta!

N. Carolina: Touts itself for its southern hospitality, but I got to talking to a girl from there once and she turned out to be a b**ch. Making a long story short...like half of the folks I've met from there have been really nice and the other half real b**chy and sour. I would love to visit Charlotte, though.

Virginia: it's become too overrun by the northeasterners. Not friendly anymore anywhere in the state.

Tennessee: hmmmm...I've had some really rude encounters with people from Tennessee, and with CHURCH PEOPLE more than anybody else!!! Sure, the service is nice at the tourist attractions...because they WANT YOUR MONEY!!! So, no, not that friendly...okay, Nashville's actually pretty friendly, but Knoxville and rural TN are not!

S. Carolina: the SC'ians I've met seem like really personable folks and I like all the ones I've met a lot!

Alabama: A "mixed bag" state like NC. I've either met people that will talk your legs off for hours on end or will crudely insult you to your face for the slightest reason. I guess Birmingham/Jefferson Co. and Gulf Shores/Orange Beach are alright, the rest of the place I can do without.

Oklahoma: know next to nothing about OK.

Kentucky: The people are generally surface friendly, at best, and it is VERY HARD to make true, lasting friendships here. (Not that I haven't made friendships, but still...) Yes, there are some good manners in KY, but the folks can be plainly rude (to mostly quote someone else from above.) It's not a bad place to live at all as I love the natural beauty and less traffic. But, it's just not for me, and when I move away I plan on not returning here to live.

Louisiana: a pretty friendly place overall, away from the really depressed towns of south Louisiana.

W. Virginia: haven't had much experience there.

Arkansas: another "mixed bag" state like AL and NC, but they seem just a little leary of "outsiders" for some reason.

Maryland: not friendly. Not southern. It's mid-Atlantic.

Mississippi: I like Mississippi. Its culture, towns, and people are unique and neighborly, and I would not mind living in any of the following: Southaven, Oxford, Hattiesburg, or the south coast. I think MS is an underrated state in terms of its natural beauty and educational opportunities, too (off the subject of friendly, I know.)

Delaware: just like Maryland

Washington, DC: not a state, but you know the saying, "southern efficiency, northern hospitality." Most southerners are not lazy people, you know, but it refers to the incompetence of the city gov't there, and that saying pretty much sums up D.C.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:38 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Correction, I don't consider Delaware to be Southern either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.