Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 08:38 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Vulcan Statue
16th Street Baptist Church
Sloss Furnace
Rickwood Field
Kelly Ingram Park
Rainbow Led Tunnel
Railroad Park
Alabama Theatre Sign
Legion Field
Civil Rights Institute

Since it’s Black History Month, some Americans got to know a few of these places right? lol
I'm sorry.. I feel a bit ignorant but I dont know any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 10:53 AM

413 posts, read 323,277 times
Realistically, I'm not sure ANY American city other than NYC and maybe LA could pass "Ten Places" Heck, Paris and London might have a hard time passing "ten places" to the casual observer, although all could easily pass if it were "5 places".

By no means are most of these recognizable to many, but if I were to do a Ten Places list for my city, Minneapolis/St. Paul, I'd choose:

1. Stone Arch Bridge
2. Spoon and Cherry
3. Hennepin Ave. Bridge/Grain Belt Beer sign
4. IDS Tower
5. Cathedral of St. Paul
6. Mall of America (yes, technically in Bloomington)
7. Chain of Lakes
8. Guthrie Theater
9. Weismann Museum
10. First National Bank Building

And I'll confess I struggled a bit past #8

Old 02-04-2019, 11:19 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
London:

Parliament
Buckingham Palace
Tower Bridge
Tower of London
Harrods
St. Paul's
Trafalgar Square (National Gallery, St. Martin in the Fields)?
Covent Garden
Shard
Eye

Windsor Castle on the edge of town for #11

Old 02-04-2019, 11:29 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
Realistically, I'm not sure ANY American city other than NYC and maybe LA could pass "Ten Places" Heck, Paris and London might have a hard time passing "ten places" to the casual observer, although all could easily pass if it were "5 places".
No city can when you use the OP’s guidelines. Yes a few cities have a combination on name and visual recongnition, but you need to be able to look at a photo with no evidence around it to its location and be able to name and place it. Good luck with 10 anywhere. Sorry not even NYC, LA, or DC can do this. Remember this is for the average American too, not city buffs or the well traveled.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:00 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
No city can when you use the OP’s guidelines. Yes a few cities have a combination on name and visual recongnition, but you need to be able to look at a photo with no evidence around it to its location and be able to name and place it. Good luck with 10 anywhere. Sorry not even NYC, LA, or DC can do this. Remember this is for the average American too, not city buffs or the well traveled.

I agree, no way you can find 10 in any city which more than half of people in the US, or the average person would correctly ID all 10 from a pic. Every list I've seen, even for NYC and DC has at least a few that most people aren't going to know at all. Most cities couldn't do more than 2 or 3.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:43 PM

307 posts, read 241,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
LA:

1. Santa Monica Pier
2. Hollywood Sign
3. Hollywood Walk of Fame
4. Venice Beach Boardwalk
5. "VENICE" lights across the street
6. Sunset Strip
7. 405 traffic
8. Rodeo Drive
9. Disneyland
10. Third Street Promenade

To continue: Malibu beach scenes, Palm tree + sunset + mountain pics, Disney Concert Hall, possibly The Grove (one of those entertainment shows films there). As for the Walk of Fame, some of the individual theaters too since there are movie premiers at them.
Dodger Stadium
Hollywood Bowl
Angels Flight
US Bank Building
Chinese Theater Hollywood
City Hall
LAX Theme Building
Capitol Records Building
Rose Bowl
LA Coliseum
Griffith Observatory
Randy's Donuts
Pinks Hot Dogs
Watts Towers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.