Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 06:07 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times

Advertisements

How many American cities can pass the "Ten Places Test"? The answer is: precious few.

And what exactly is the "Ten Places Test"? Glad you asked. For any given city, locate ten places that if you showed them to most people, they would recognize the city in question. And they would recognize it for what is right in front of them.....even without the background that might, for example, show the city's skyline.

I'll give an example: San Francisco. SF easily passes the ten places test:

01 Golden Gate Bridge
02 Palace of Fine Arts
03 Lombard Street
04 Fisherman's Wharf
05 Pier 39
06 cable car
07 Transamerica Pyramid
08 Chinatown
09 Alcatraz
10 Painted ladies (victorians) of Alamo Square

I think all ten that I listed would stand up as being eminently recognizable. To me, SF easily passes the test. Every one of the ten above, IMHO, is iconic and people would know where it is.

Take any city of your choosing and put it through the ten places test to see if it stands up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 06:25 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
Great thread idea
I agree with your list, I knew all of those places in SF easily! As I was reading your list I could even picture each one in my mind clearly.

I’ll do one for my city, New York. Another easy one:

1. Statue of Liberty
2. Empire State Building
3. Times Square
4. World Trade Center and 9/11 Memorial
5. Ellis Island
6. Brooklyn Bridge
7. Central Park
8. NYSE/Wall Street
9. Grand Central
10. Rockefeller Center

Honorable mentions: Chrysler building, Coney Island, Manhattan Bridge/DUMBO, Penn Station/MSG, Flatiron building, Washington Square Park, United Nations....

Honestly I could just keep going lol. NY is another rly obvious one. This thread should get more interesting later on though.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:31 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Great thread idea
I agree with your list, I knew all of those places in SF easily! As I was reading your list I could even picture each one in my mind clearly.

1. Statue of Liberty
2. Empire State Building
3. Times Square
5. Ellis Island
6. Brooklyn Bridge
7. Central Park
8. NYSE/Wall Street
9. Grand Central
10. Rockefeller Center

Honorable mentions: Chrysler building, Coney Island, Manhattan Bridge/DUMBO, Penn Station/MSG, Flatiron building, Washington Square Park, United Nations....

Honestly I could just keep going lol. NY is another rly obvious one. It should get more interesting later on though.
Yea so many, Broadway, Chinatown(s) Little Italy, SI Ferry, GWB, Fifth Avenue, Madison Avenue, Park Avenue, Hell’s Kitchen, Hudson Yards, High Line, UES, UWS, LES...

Old 01-09-2019, 06:40 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,378 times
Chicago is another easy one.

1) Sears Tower
2) Michigan Avenue
3) Wrigley Field
4) Comiskey Park
5) Soldier Field
6) Naval Station Great Lakes
7) Navy Pier
8) Art Institute of Chicago
9) Chicago Water Tower
10) Field Museum of Natural History

Old 01-09-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Chicago is another easy one.

1) Sears Tower
2) Michigan Avenue
3) Wrigley Field
4) Comiskey Park
5) Soldier Field
6) Naval Station Great Lakes
7) Navy Pier
8) Art Institute of Chicago
9) Chicago Water Tower
10) Field Museum of Natural History
Local guy here.....I'd have to remove Comiskey and Great Lakes and replace with Wrigley Building and Loop el

Old 01-09-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Great thread idea

1. Statue of Liberty
2. Empire State Building
3. Times Square
5. Ellis Island
6. Brooklyn Bridge
7. Central Park
8. NYSE/Wall Street
9. Grand Central
10. Rockefeller Center

Honestly I could just keep going lol. NY is another rly obvious one. This thread should get more interesting later on though.
when we hit Wichita, most definitely

Old 01-09-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Local guy here.....I'd have to remove Comiskey and Great Lakes and replace with Wrigley Building and Loop el
Yeah, I wasn’t familiar with those to be honest. As a non-local, some other Chicago ones that came to my mind were the bean, Lake Shore Drive, and the beaches on Lake Michigan.
Quote:
when we hit Wichita, most definitely
Haha yeah that’s exactly what I’m saying. Once we get the obvious ones out of the way like NY/SF/LA/DC/CHI etc. I’m curious to see how far we can go with this.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Yea so many, Broadway, Chinatown(s) Little Italy, SI Ferry, GWB, Fifth Avenue, Madison Avenue, Park Avenue, Hell’s Kitchen, Hudson Yards, High Line, UES, UWS, LES...
Just for fun/a little bit more of a challenge, plus also because I’m having a really slow day at work I decided to see if I could do one for the outer boroughs:

1. Coney Island
2. Yankee Stadium
3. Brooklyn Bridge/Brooklyn Bridge Park
4. Manhattan Bridge/DUMBO
5. Staten Island Ferry
6. Bronx Zoo
7. Rikers Island
8. Citi Field
9. Long Island City/Gentry Plaza State Park (Bonus: Five points too if it were still around )
10. World’s fair unisphere/Flushing Meadows Corona Park

Honorable mentions: Barclays Center, Verrazano Bridge, Queensboro Bridge, 7 train in Queens, el’s in The Bronx, Williamsburg Bridge, Brooklyn Brownstones, Bronx tenements, JFK, and the fake, non-existent location in Brooklyn that is used as a backdrop for Liberty Mutual commercials (jk)

Old 01-09-2019, 09:02 AM

1,168 posts, read 775,895 times
Quote:
How many American cities can pass the "Ten Places Test"? The answer is: precious few.

And what exactly is the "Ten Places Test"? Glad you asked. For any given city, locate ten places that if you showed them to most people, they would recognize the city in question. And they would recognize it for what is right in front of them.....even without the background that might, for example, show the city's skyline.

I'll give an example: San Francisco. SF easily passes the ten places test:

01 Golden Gate Bridge
02 Palace of Fine Arts
03 Lombard Street
04 Fisherman's Wharf
05 Pier 39
06 cable car
07 Transamerica Pyramid
08 Chinatown
09 Alcatraz
10 Painted ladies (victorians) of Alamo Square
The average person is not likely to be able to tell you where those things are located unless you showed them the GG bridge and the cable car as part of the group. I've never even heard of Pier 39 and certainly couldn't tell you where it is. This is another one of those topics where people confuse the average City Data member with the average person in general.

IMO there are only two cities with multiple points of interest that are instantly recognizable on their own: NY and LA

Old 01-09-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
The average person is not likely to be able to tell you where those things are located unless you showed them the GG bridge and the cable car as part of the group. I've never even heard of Pier 39 and certainly couldn't tell you where it is. This is another one of those topics where people confuse the average City Data member with the average person in general.

IMO there are only two cities with multiple points of interest that are instantly recognizable on their own: NY and LA
I think that the GGB would be recognizable anywhere with nothing surrounding it. Simply a model of the Golden Gate would tell you where it is. Same would be true for an SF cable car. Both unmistakable. Pier 39 is the most popular tourist attraction in NorCal and second statewide to Disneyland. Yes, it is extremely recognizable.

As for the givens for cities that will undoubtedly be on the list, I'd agree with NY and LA and also add DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.