Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 07:16 AM

6 posts, read 6,688 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Within the next year I am looking to move some where on the east coast in a populated city or the metro area not to far out from the big city.

Some things to to note: I'm going to rent a Studio or a 1 Bedroom. Preferably around or less than $1000/month. -- So what cities, can I get a fairly nice or modern apartment for that price range?

Feel free to list several cities, areas and/or links to apartments to check out if needed.

I appreciate the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 05:14 PM

3,593 posts, read 1,773,428 times
Need more information. Would Atlanta be considered east coast to you? If so it would easily be the most affordable big city.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:18 PM

37,798 posts, read 41,542,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Need more information. Would Atlanta be considered east coast to you? If so it would easily be the most affordable big city.
That honor would go to Jacksonville FL.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:29 PM

3,593 posts, read 1,773,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That honor would go to Jacksonville FL.
Apples and oranges. Atlanta metro has 6 million people, Jacksonville has 1.5 million. Jacksonville is not a big city imo.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:16 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,418,823 times
Quote:
No. Southeast yes, East Coast no. You kinda need to be on the water, or damn near close to it, to be considered costal. Atlanta is neither.

To the OP, forget finding your own apartment and use that $1,000 a month to share a place and live in New York City. If you don’t like the cold go to Miami. That’s what I would do unless I had a wife and/or kids to worry about, which it appears you don’t. It’s sounds like this would be the first time living on the coast so I say live it up, you can always move to an inexpensive city later. Good luck to you.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:24 PM

37,798 posts, read 41,542,932 times
Quote:
Apples and oranges. Atlanta metro has 6 million people, Jacksonville has 1.5 million. Jacksonville is not a big city imo.
If folks are mentioning cities like Portland and Providence, then Jacksonville is certainly fair game.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:24 PM

1,094 posts, read 793,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
No. Southeast yes, East Coast no. You kinda need to be on the water, or damn near close to it, to be considered costal. Atlanta is neither.

To the OP, forget finding your own apartment and use that $1,000 a month to share a place and live in New York City. If you don’t like the cold go to Miami. That’s what I would do unless I had a wife and/or kids to worry about, which it appears you don’t. It’s sounds like this would be the first time living on the coast so I say live it up, you can always move to an inexpensive city later. Good luck to you.
The east coast is a vague term basically the i-95 corridor is what people generally mean by east coast tho I consider the applichian mountains an extension to the east coast since the mountain are mostly located in the coastal states. Phily gets a pass for being east coast despite being in a state with no coastline due it's colonial history. If you want to list the all the major cites on the east coast. Generally anything south of Richmond, North of Orlando and east of Atlanta is pretty cheap. The cites of New England is obviously gonna be expensive, mid Alantic is kinda so-so, South Alantc is pretty do-able for most Americans outside of Charleston and maybe Savannah.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:50 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,501,739 times
Default Staten Island, New York

You can get a small apartment in a two-family house for $1,200 to $1,500. Ten driving miles from Wall Street, about 450,000 people....lots of greenery, parks, lakes, ponds, birds, deer, surrounded by the ocean, and fantastic food, a FREE TRAIN takes you to Wall Street, then you take the Subway right there. It has also Express buses to anywhere in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

It is one of the five boroughs that make up New York City, and to me, the best one..... It has mostly private houses, with few buildings. good-luck to you....

Old 01-10-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
You can get a small apartment in a two-family house for $1,200 to $1,500. Ten driving miles from Wall Street, about 450,000 people....lots of greenery, parks, lakes, ponds, birds, deer, surrounded by the ocean, and fantastic food, a FREE TRAIN takes you to Wall Street, then you take the Subway right there. It has also Express buses to anywhere in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

It is one of the five boroughs that make up New York City, and to me, the best one..... It has mostly private houses, with few buildings. good-luck to you....

--Hmm, How are the young people in Staten island? Some diverse bars, chill nightlife? And walk ability since its New York, im assuming in general is good around this borough to right?

How about parks, any really nice ones?

Rent does seem to be noticeably cheaper just would like some more info on how it is for someone who likes to go out here and there and likes to stay active.

Thanks.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post

Really considering this too, but what holds me back (rooming w/ someone) is not knowing if my roommate(s) will be sociable/outgoing. I would love to live in NYC as I enjoyed it when I visited a few months ago, but I would hate to not have one person in the apartment I live with not relate with me just a little.. -- Then again, going home and no one saying anything when they see you could be a good thing to I guess too for some people haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.