Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:22 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times

Advertisements

The Census ACS says 6% Chinese and Chinese American in NYC. That's more than most including my city. But the lack of reputation might be because it's a small fraction of San Francisco (21%, including a storied history) or Vancouver (guessing 30%?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 11:10 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Albuquerque is...
The Sandia Mountains and bike/hiking trails
Sandia Cable Tram
Balloon Fiesta
Rio Grande Bosque forest
Sandia Labs
Western desert views
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
University of New Mexico
Blended cultural diversity
Red or Green Chile? Christmas?
Sandhill Cranes' winter home
Kirtland Air Force Base
Petroglyph Nat. Monument & Volcano trails
Sadly, no major league sports

Old 01-10-2019, 02:28 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The Census ACS says 6% Chinese and Chinese American in NYC. That's more than most including my city. But the lack of reputation might be because it's a small fraction of San Francisco (21%, including a storied history) or Vancouver (guessing 30%?).
That could be, but I’m not even talking about in comparison to other cities, and the thing is that we’re not really dominated by any single ethnic group like that but we are still known for many similar-sized ethnic groups that we have here (some even slightly smaller than our Chinese population). And ACS says 7.3% Chinese as of 2017. It may seem like small number in comparison but when you realize it’s 7.3% of more than 8.6 million people it’s actually the single largest concentration of Chinese people anywhere in the entire world outside of Asia. Chinese influence is very big here... schools are closed for the Chinese New Year, and we also have a long history of Chinese dating back to the 1800’s. We have often been cited as a center for Chinese immigration as our status as the largest city and center for urban living in The US. A lot of NYers seem to think our Chinese population, history, and influence is common knowledge, but CD would have me to believe otherwise

For reference, Italians actually make up slightly less than Chinese in NYC at about ~7% (as of 2013 — latest numbers I can find from ACS). Puerto Rican’s are 8.2% as of 2017, so not really that much more. We seem to be known for Italians and Puerto Rican’s much more than Chinese though for some reason. I Think maybe because it’s a West coast vs. East coast “big picture” thing, if that makes sense...

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/planning...acs1yr_nyc.pdf
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/planning...acs5yr_nta.pdf

Old 01-10-2019, 02:58 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Syracuse

24 second shot clock
Foot measuring device(aka Brannock Device)
biggest on campus domed stadium(Syracuse University sports)
highest average snowfall for a "major" metro area
NY State Fair
Salt (inc. potatoes)
Finger Lakes
manufacturing(post and current)
Underground Railroad
Refugee resettlement
Bonus: Native American(Haudenosaunee) culture

Old 01-10-2019, 03:10 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
The average travelled high school grad knows those things?

Old 01-10-2019, 03:42 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
The average travelled high school grad knows those things?
Know what things?

I will say a high schooler or recent grad will do a lot better than most because American history will be fresh in their mind. I’ve been out of college for 20 years and I have to go “that’s right” after a brief pause when people make mention of places of significance in their cities, and I love history, even took several extra courses in college that weren’t required.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I am fairly well traveled, far more traveled than many people I know, and I could not identify 10 things about a lot of these cities. That said,

Denver
Mountains (to the west)
Red Rocks Amphitheater
US Mint
Broncos Stadium at Mile High (I know, athletic field, but I do think it's fairly iconic)
Coors Field (Ditto)
Snow at Halloween, Easter, Mother's Day
Beer, both craft and MillerCoors
5280'
Dry, dry climate
National Western Stock Show cattle parade

Old 01-10-2019, 08:09 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Building upon the "10 places" thread, this one widens the topic...not just places but also characteristics, companies, trends, and so on. What are ten things about your city that at least half of the people in the country would know (or half of the people who got past high school and have traveled at least 500 miles from home)? Please don't list sports teams...too easy.

For Seattle I struggled past 2-3 of the "places." But here goes with the broader list:
-Space Needle
-Pike Place Market
-Rain
-Grunge (so called)
-Coffee or Starbucks
-Tech or Amazon/Microsoft
-Boeing
-Mt. Rainier or mountains
-Ferries
-Left-leaning politics
-Gates Foundation (#11 if needed)
You basically nailed it with Seattle, so I’m going to go with my previous city - Kansas City. Unfortunately, I don’t think the average person knows ten things about Kansas City, much less the best things about Kansas City. Dialing it down to the lowest common denominator, I would say:

Barbecue
Chiefs/Royals
Kansas
Barbecue
Tornados
Barbecue
Stockyards
Barbecue
Middle of the country
Great Plains

Of course, there’s so much more to that city, but most people who have never visited would never know.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:13 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
Chapel Hill, NC:
1 through 10: Micheal Jordan.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:30 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Not my city I live... just did in my past and a favorite.

"Sears (Willis) Tower"
"The Bean" or officially "Cloud Gate"
"Second City" comedy or nickname
"Windy City" nickname again
"Deep Dish Pizza"
"The Blues"
Al Capone and mafia era (really was a New Yorker)
O'Hare airport
Skyscrapers
Navy Pier
Wrigley building
Songs - "My kind of Town Chicago is" and "Chicago Chicago that Toddling' Town" (the older crowd)
"Chicago" the musical movie and "All that Jazz"
Agree with some.

I'd go with

Wrigley Field/Cubs
Da Bears
Sears Tower
Lollapalooza
Deep Dish
Chicago Hot Dogs
The Bean/Millennium Park
Navy Pier
Ferris Bueller
Taste of Chicago
Michael Jordan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.